Pierre

Default Sausage casings are tough. OK to restuff into new casings?

Made a butt-kicking batch of sausage yesterday, but used a new casing
which; although is hog, they smoked up tough. Short of making a new
batch of sausage, I'd like to take the meat out of the casings on the
remaining 15 lbs of yesterdays sausage, and restuff into a proven
winner and more tender hog casing. Sounds simple enough, but am I
missing something?

TIA for any thoughts and experiences.

Pierre

Piedmont

"Pierre" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Made a butt-kicking batch of sausage yesterday, but used a new casing
> which; although is hog, they smoked up tough. Short of making a new
> batch of sausage, I'd like to take the meat out of the casings on the
> remaining 15 lbs of yesterdays sausage, and restuff into a proven
> winner and more tender hog casing. Sounds simple enough, but am I
> missing something?
>
> TIA for any thoughts and experiences.
>
> Pierre

I found that cooking my homemade sausage at too low a temp will caue the
casing to be tough, I say, jack up the temp., don't restuff.
--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
The Practical Bar B Q'r at,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Piedmont" > wrote in message

> I found that cooking my homemade sausage at too low a temp will caue the
> casing to be tough, I say, jack up the temp., don't restuff.
> --
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> The Practical Bar B Q'r at,
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Agree. Re-stuffing is a PITA. Try grilling one just to see the results.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Pierre

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
> >
> > I found that cooking my homemade sausage at too low a temp will caue the
> > casing to be tough, I say, jack up the temp., don't restuff.
> > --
> > Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> > The Practical Bar B Q'r at,
> > http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw
> >

> Agree. Re-stuffing is a PITA. Try grilling one just to see the results.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

You guys are right on! Gave the tough sausage a medium hot and fast
grill; ending with an excellent cut and great mouth feel. Cow's happy.

I'm glad I asked.

Pierre

Another Sausage Question: Casings Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 20 18-03-2015 02:23 PM
Tough Sausage Casings Ned Buntline Barbecue 10 04-09-2006 06:08 PM
Sausage Casings Question ntantiques General Cooking 4 08-02-2006 12:38 PM
Sausage casings M&M Barbecue 2 07-04-2004 01:26 AM
Sausage casings needed \Piedmont\ Barbecue 3 26-03-2004 03:31 PM