Chef Juke

Default Gas? What is this "Gas" you speak of???

Hi Kids,

Gotta question for ya....

May sound a bit like a newbie question, because, well, in a way, it
is...

A friend of mine is looking to buy a gas grill...of course he came to
ME for advice. Problem is...what the heck to *I* know from gas
grills?

I can talk wood burning, pellet burning, charcoal burning, offsets,
vertical & pottery smokers... but as far as this *gas* stuff goes, in
terms of grills, I know not of what he speaks.

So... any suggestions of basic items to look for in a gas grill?

He's probably going to be looking at what Costco has to offer first,
if that makes a difference.

Not sure yet of what his price range is, but if I had some suggestions
in the below $500 range and then in the $500-$750 range, I should have
him covered.

Thanks in advance...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Dimitri

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hi Kids,
>
> Gotta question for ya....
>
> May sound a bit like a newbie question, because, well, in a way, it
> is...
>
> A friend of mine is looking to buy a gas grill...of course he came to
> ME for advice. Problem is...what the heck to *I* know from gas
> grills?
>
> I can talk wood burning, pellet burning, charcoal burning, offsets,
> vertical & pottery smokers... but as far as this *gas* stuff goes, in
> terms of grills, I know not of what he speaks.
>
> So... any suggestions of basic items to look for in a gas grill?
>
> He's probably going to be looking at what Costco has to offer first,
> if that makes a difference.
>
> Not sure yet of what his price range is, but if I had some suggestions
> in the below $500 range and then in the $500-$750 range, I should have
> him covered.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Just my opinion - the gas grills are either jetted for Propane or natural gas
and each has a little different qualities but not enough to talk about. There
are several factors to look at:

1. How many square inches are in the grill area?
2. Compare the BTU output from the burners (not the overall) subtract the
rating of the "side burner" if there is one. what you are looking for is BTU'S
per square inch.
3. Most of the newer grills have stainless tops That's OK.
4. Determine what the normal usage is going to be - grilling for 2 or
grilling for 20.
5. The material of the burners them selves in that brand - for me the
stainless burners will last a few seasons before having to be replaced. The new
grill I just got has heavy cast iron burners.
6. Check the lighting button - push button or battery - I do like the battery
ones - the striker ones don't seem to last.
7. Look at the offset drip plate - the plate the protected the food from a
direct flame - solid or flimsy? It is the fat and juices dripping onto this
plate that gives of the grilled flavor.
8. Dues the unit come with and will your friend use a cover? That can add
$20.00 to $50.00..
9. Finally, look at the material of the cooking grates - nice and thick or
thin and wiry?

Just some thoughts.

Dimitri

Chefjuke

Thanks Dimitri

Another factor is that he IS thinking about connecting to his home's
natural gas line, so the jets will probably be a concern.

-Chef Juke

cl

Chefjuke wrote:

> Thanks Dimitri
>
> Another factor is that he IS thinking about connecting to his home's
> natural gas line, so the jets will probably be a concern.
>
> -Chef Juke

What are the main items to cook?

If just steak or burgers dogs etc, I would have gone for a TEC. Hard to
beat IR for caramelization.

If you add other stuff then a Weber or VC would be my next choice since
they are very even in heat output. Obviously it is your job to teach him
to use a kettle or such for anything else that isn't flash cooking the
food

-CLA
cl

"Chefjuke" > wrote:
> Thanks Dimitri
>
> Another factor is that he IS thinking about connecting to his home's
> natural gas line, so the jets will probably be a concern.

IIRC, connecting to yer home's gas line brings da gubmin into play and may
require connection by a licensed gas plumber.

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>>Dimitri

> good thoughts Dimitri, but how about lava rocks? Are they essential?
> I had a gas grill many, many years ago. I remember the rocks were an
> integral part of the heating process. Are they out of style now?
> Eddie

Lava rocks are out. They catch the dripping and if not hot enough, they
hold them and cause flare ups. Now metal plates are used with better
results.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>>Dimitri

> good thoughts Dimitri, but how about lava rocks? Are they essential?
> I had a gas grill many, many years ago. I remember the rocks were an
> integral part of the heating process. Are they out of style now?
> Eddie

Lava rocks are out. They catch the dripping and if not hot enough, they
hold them and cause flare ups. Now metal plates are used with better
results.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message

> So... any suggestions of basic items to look for in a gas grill?
>
> He's probably going to be looking at what Costco has to offer first,
> if that makes a difference.

Features are individual preference. Side burner and infra-red burner are
essential for me.

Anything from Vermont Casting signature series, Broilmaster, MHP, Broil
King, Weber will be of good quality.

JD

cl wrote:

>Chefjuke wrote:
>

>>Thanks Dimitri
>>
>>Another factor is that he IS thinking about connecting to his home's
>>natural gas line, so the jets will probably be a concern.
>>
>>-Chef Juke
>>

>What are the main items to cook?
>
>If just steak or burgers dogs etc, I would have gone for a TEC. Hard to
>beat IR for caramelization.

I agree. From what I've learned recently, gas infrared is the trick for
steaks, gets up to 1600 degrees.

JD

BOB

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hi Kids,
>
> Gotta question for ya....
>
> May sound a bit like a newbie question, because, well, in a way, it
> is...
>
> A friend of mine is looking to buy a gas grill...of course he came
> ME for advice. Problem is...what the heck to *I* know from gas
> grills?

Yeah. What you said (that I snipped).

Read what Ed P says. Ed seems to know what he's talking about in the
gasser universe.

Ignore anything that Kent says.

Good Luck in your search.

BOB

jdoe

Just have him get any weber the right size for his needs and he won't go
wrong. Tell him not to fall for the shiny chinese crap trinkets meant to
look nice. On a weber he will actually cook and turn out wonderful meals.
Isn't THAT why we have them?
Larry
"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hi Kids,
>
> Gotta question for ya....
>
> May sound a bit like a newbie question, because, well, in a way, it
> is...
>
> A friend of mine is looking to buy a gas grill...of course he came to
> ME for advice. Problem is...what the heck to *I* know from gas
> grills?
>
> I can talk wood burning, pellet burning, charcoal burning, offsets,
> vertical & pottery smokers... but as far as this *gas* stuff goes, in
> terms of grills, I know not of what he speaks.
>
> So... any suggestions of basic items to look for in a gas grill?
>
> He's probably going to be looking at what Costco has to offer first,
> if that makes a difference.
>
> Not sure yet of what his price range is, but if I had some suggestions
> in the below $500 range and then in the $500-$750 range, I should have
> him covered.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

I speak Starbucks-eze Paul M. Cook General Cooking 125 22-09-2013 01:07 AM
Ingredient speak gloria.p General Cooking 123 25-11-2011 10:13 PM
Ingredient speak Betsy D General Cooking 10 17-11-2011 02:00 AM
Text speak Dimitri General Cooking 11 22-10-2009 12:13 AM
Why don't we speak of potatoes? Pandora General Cooking 42 25-07-2007 07:26 AM