Old 02-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Michael

Default Boog Powell's

Boog Powell has a rib joint in Baltimore. Some years back I got a recipe for
“Boog Powell’s Memphis Rubdown”, apparently the rub they use at his place. I
’ve lost it and can’t seem to find it on the ‘net, where I got it
originally. I’m not too happy with any of the rub recipes I have now, if
anybody has Boog’s, or some other tasty rub recipe, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks, Michael

Old 02-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Pierre

Michael wrote:
Boog Powell has a rib joint in Baltimore. Some years back I got a

recipe for
"Boog Powell's Memphis Rubdown", apparently the rub they use at

his place. I
've lost it and can't seem to find it on the 'net, where I got

it
originally. I'm not too happy with any of the rub recipes I have

now, if
anybody has Boog's, or some other tasty rub recipe, I'd

appreciate it.

Thanks, Michael

I've got Boog Powell's book, Mesquite Cookery, will check for this rub
when I get home.
Pierre

Old 02-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Pierre

Pierre wrote:
Michael wrote:
Boog Powell has a rib joint in Baltimore. Some years back I got a

recipe for
"Boog Powell's Memphis Rubdown", apparently the rub they use at

his place. I
've lost it and can't seem to find it on the 'net, where I got

it
originally. I'm not too happy with any of the rub recipes I have

now, if
anybody has Boog's, or some other tasty rub recipe, I'd

appreciate it.

Thanks, Michael

I've got Boog Powell's book, Mesquite Cookery, will check for this

rub
when I get home.
Pierre

Michael, in his book "Mesquite Cookery" 1986, he shows this:
"Memphis Style Dry bbq Seasoning". Might be the same as your "Memphis
Rubdown", might not be too.

1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T white pepper
1 T black pepper
1 T chili powder
1 T ground red pepper
1 T cumin
2 T paprika

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and pour into salt shaker. Sprinkle on
chops or ribs during cooking for "dry" bbq flavor. When ribs are
ready, shake over meat to taste and serve. Use this method along with
bbq sauces for an extra spicy effect. Makes 1/2 cup.

Pierre

Old 03-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Reg

Pierre wrote:

Michael, in his book "Mesquite Cookery" 1986, he shows this:
"Memphis Style Dry bbq Seasoning". Might be the same as your "Memphis
Rubdown", might not be too.

Pierre, what do you think of the book? Would you recommend it?

Old 03-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Pierre

--
Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)

com

Reg, I'd recommend it, but don't think you'd be able to find it. Out
of print and all. Nice grilled dessert section. This book is not as
glitzy as the newer stuff being brought out by the Raichlins,
Schlesingers, etc. spiral bound, and decent section on woods and
equipment. The more I look at it, I realize that its actually a nice
piece of work. Lots of fish, liver recipes. Much of whats in here can
be probably be found in various forms in books that you may already
have. I do however make his sweet smokey banana sauce for ice cream
several times a year.

Pierre

Old 03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Matthew L. Martin

Pierre wrote:
Reg wrote:

Pierre wrote:

Michael, in his book "Mesquite Cookery" 1986, he shows this:
"Memphis Style Dry bbq Seasoning". Might be the same as your

"Memphis

Rubdown", might not be too.

Pierre, what do you think of the book? Would you recommend it?

--
Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)

com

Reg, I'd recommend it, but don't think you'd be able to find it. Out
of print and all.

Do a search by author for Boog Powell he

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Reg

Pierre wrote:

Reg, I'd recommend it, but don't think you'd be able to find it. Out
of print and all. Nice grilled dessert section. This book is not as
glitzy as the newer stuff being brought out by the Raichlins,
Schlesingers, etc. spiral bound, and decent section on woods and
equipment. The more I look at it, I realize that its actually a nice
piece of work. Lots of fish, liver recipes. Much of whats in here can
be probably be found in various forms in books that you may already
have. I do however make his sweet smokey banana sauce for ice cream
several times a year.

Thanks for the book review Pierre. Used copies are available on Amazon
cheap so maybe I'll pick up a copy.