Default cast iron grate

I'm looking at buying several grills.
One that I like has a cast iron grill.
Do these tend to "stick" more than the
stainless or porcelain grills?

Art M

Char-broil used to make (and perhaps still does) some lower end grills with
cast iron grates. They would rust in the off season. Suggestion was to coat
with oil and store in a dry place. It might not be the best choice if you
like to grill only occasionally, but all year round. I suppose once they are
well seasoned this is not an issue.

I've never cooked on a cast iron grill, but I love my cast iron pan. On the
other hand I once bought a very cheap set of cast iron pans for my sister
that seemed to be very rough. I tried to season them by applying oil and
placing in the oven, but they never acquired a non-stick finish.

--Art

"D" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message ...
> I'm looking at buying several grills.
> One that I like has a cast iron grill.
> Do these tend to "stick" more than the
> stainless or porcelain grills?

HS

"Art M" > wrote in message
> Char-broil used to make (and perhaps still does) some lower end grills
> with cast iron grates. They would rust in the off season. Suggestion was
> to coat with oil and store in a dry place. It might not be the best choice
> if you like to grill only occasionally, but all year round. I suppose once
> they are well seasoned this is not an issue.
>
> I've never cooked on a cast iron grill, but I love my cast iron pan. On
> the other hand I once bought a very cheap set of cast iron pans for my
> sister that seemed to be very rough. I tried to season them by applying
> oil and placing in the oven, but they never acquired a non-stick finish.
>
> --Art
>

> "D" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message ...
>> I'm looking at buying several grills.
>> One that I like has a cast iron grill.
>> Do these tend to "stick" more than the
>> stainless or porcelain grills?

You can buy a cast iron grate that sits on top of the existing grate and
then have options either way. Home Depot sells them. Lodge probably as
well.

Howard

Bill Wright

D wrote:
> I'm looking at buying several grills.
> One that I like has a cast iron grill.
> Do these tend to "stick" more than the
> stainless or porcelain grills?

I have a Weber Genesis with cast iron grates and I don't like them.
I have thought about going back to the store and buying porcelain ones
and setting the cast iron ones aside.
Steve Calvin

Bill Wright wrote:

> D wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at buying several grills.
>> One that I like has a cast iron grill.
>> Do these tend to "stick" more than the
>> stainless or porcelain grills?
>>

> I have a Weber Genesis with cast iron grates and I don't like them.
> I have thought about going back to the store and buying porcelain ones
> and setting the cast iron ones aside.

Exactly what I did. A lot of folks love 'em. Now, I love my cast iron
skillets and have no problem keeping them seasoned and no rust but those
CI grates I couldn't keep clean of rust to save my a**. Seasoned 'em
three times, brushed and oiled constantly and they still rusted. But we
live in a fairly humid area. (Mid-Hudson Valley of New York State).

YMMV but I threw 'em out and bought the porcelain coated ones from Weber
and haven't had a problem since.

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Matthew L. Martin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Bill Wright wrote:
>
>> D wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at buying several grills.
>>> One that I like has a cast iron grill.
>>> Do these tend to "stick" more than the
>>> stainless or porcelain grills?
>>>

>> I have a Weber Genesis with cast iron grates and I don't like them.
>> I have thought about going back to the store and buying porcelain ones
>> and setting the cast iron ones aside.

> Exactly what I did. A lot of folks love 'em. Now, I love my cast iron
> skillets and have no problem keeping them seasoned and no rust but those
> CI grates I couldn't keep clean of rust to save my a**. Seasoned 'em
> three times, brushed and oiled constantly and they still rusted. But we
> live in a fairly humid area. (Mid-Hudson Valley of New York State).
>
> YMMV but I threw 'em out and bought the porcelain coated ones from Weber
> and haven't had a problem since.

Back when I had a gasser I did the same thing that you did. No matter
what I did, the CI grills got scales of rust (this is on a grill used
several times a week!) that would flake off onto the food. Porcelain
over whatever is preferable.

I use stainless steel now. I'm very happy with them

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Ivan Weiss

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

> Back when I had a gasser I did the same thing that you did. No matter
> what I did, the CI grills got scales of rust (this is on a grill used
> several times a week!) that would flake off onto the food. Porcelain
> over whatever is preferable.

Good to know, as I had been considering them. But if I had a round cast iron
grate that would fit inside each of my three Dutch ovens, I would be a happy
cooker indeed. Maybe I should post this on rec.food.equipment, but since
we're on the subject I thought I'd ask here first if anyone has seen these?
Thanks.
--
ivan

H L. Falls

In article >,
Ivan Weiss > wrote:

>Good to know, as I had been considering them. But if I had a round cast iron
>grate that would fit inside each of my three Dutch ovens, I would be a happy
>cooker indeed. Maybe I should post this on rec.food.equipment, but since
>we're on the subject I thought I'd ask here first if anyone has seen these?
>Thanks.
>--
>ivan

<https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3964>

(May need to watch line wrap...)

--Landon
Ivan Weiss

"H L. Falls" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ivan Weiss > wrote:
>
> >Good to know, as I had been considering them. But if I had a round cast

iron
> >grate that would fit inside each of my three Dutch ovens, I would be a

happy
> >cooker indeed. Maybe I should post this on rec.food.equipment, but since
> >we're on the subject I thought I'd ask here first if anyone has seen

these?
> >Thanks.
> >--
> >ivan

<https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...c&idProduct=39
64>

Landon:

Excellent. Thanks much.
--
ivan

I live in Central Georgia,(read very hot and humid) and I have not had
a problem out of my cast iron grates as of yet(knock on wood). I have 4
separate grates on the grill and I usually rotate them out when
cooking. Also, after every cook, while they are still warm, I wipe them
down with an oil cloth.

This is the same treatment I give my cast iron skillets when I cook
with them. So far, I have only had problems out of one Dutch Oven, and
that's because it did not season right in the first place. OTOH, i've
had my other Dutch Oven for about 20 years, and it has only had to be
reseasoned once .

now can anyone guess which Dutch Oven was made in the USA and which one
wasn't?