Craig

Default Grand Hall BBQ's....Any Good?

I have seen these BBQ's at Sam's Club and Costco and I believe the Sears
brand "Kenmore" is made by them as well.

What do people think about this grill's performance / reliability?

Craig

jdoe

Stay away. Get a weber. They look nice (grand halls and all the other
chinese stuff being brought here) all SS and shiny but it ends at looks. My
GH is going back to Sam's and another weber will soon grace my deck now that
I found the receipt :-D
Larry
"Craig" > wrote in message
>I have seen these BBQ's at Sam's Club and Costco and I believe the Sears
>brand "Kenmore" is made by them as well.
>
> What do people think about this grill's performance / reliability?
>
> Craig

Craig

Just curious...why are you returning the Grand Hall?

Was it bad grilling performance? Did it break?
"jdoe" > wrote in message
> Stay away. Get a weber. They look nice (grand halls and all the other
> chinese stuff being brought here) all SS and shiny but it ends at looks.
> My GH is going back to Sam's and another weber will soon grace my deck now
> that I found the receipt :-D
> Larry
> "Craig" > wrote in message
>>I have seen these BBQ's at Sam's Club and Costco and I believe the Sears
>>brand "Kenmore" is made by them as well.
>>
>> What do people think about this grill's performance / reliability?
>>
>> Craig

jdoe

A number of reasons. I'll start with performance. I expect a grill to do all
things well and be versatile. It is not. The only food it will do well is
steaks. Anything else you can't turn your back on it or it's incinerated.
Durability is next and this it does not have. Don't let the shiny exterior
fool you. Inside it will turn into a rust bucket and QUICK. The burners will
rust and clog, the balance tubes will rot away, the control valves will
bind, the back will rust away as will the grease tray. Ignotor will fail
too. Add to that if you try to use it in a breeze any stronger than a
squirrel fart well....forget it. It's designed to be a fishing lure all
shiny and cool looking but with sharp hooks. No support either.
My $$$ will go to another Weber asap. now that the receipt was turned up. A
good thing about sam's club is they will take them back. If you don't have a
receipt they'll exchange it if you do they'll refund.
Bottom line is if all you want a grill to do is look cool on your deck and
be big for the $$$ it's great. If you really want to cook and have it
perform (even under less than ideal conditions) get a weber.
Just some background. I still have my 12+ yo genesis II. Original burners,
original ignitor (works 1st or 2nd try), only replaced grates (wanted the
SS) and the flavor bars (upgraded to SS). Uncovered sun, rain, snow, name
it. lean grease funnel occasionally and cook.
There was trouble with it I could not diagnose and weber support could only
offer a little help on. As it turned out they were right. It was very
uneven. They kept telling me it was the manifold and I couldn't believe
that. After I got the GH I took the manifold apart and the problem turned
out to be that over the years the grease used in the valves had hardened and
partly clogged the jets. A wash with solvent and a tiny dab of moly grease
and it's as good as new.
Hopefully you won't make the mistake I did. The other thing too is weber is
made and supported here in USA.