F.G. Whitfurrows

Default just gotta cook

So its 1005pm and I just fired up the chimney. I have a pair of butts all
rubbed and ready to go for tomorrow but I kept hearin' the WSM callin' me
from the back porch. I don't think that absinth is having any affect on me.
Guess I'll throw em on tonight and eat PP for lunch tomorrow. I'll be using
Royal Oak lump and hickory for smoke. All South Rub on the pork. Hot Damn!

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

2fatbbq

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
> So its 1005pm and I just fired up the chimney. I have a pair of butts all
> rubbed and ready to go for tomorrow but I kept hearin' the WSM callin' me
> from the back porch. I don't think that absinth is having any affect on
> me.
> Guess I'll throw em on tonight and eat PP for lunch tomorrow. I'll be
> using
> Royal Oak lump and hickory for smoke. All South Rub on the pork. Hot Damn!

No cooking today(gotta deliver a scooter to daughter in college) but will
look for wisps of smoke from the west when we are on our 300mile
journey<lol>

Been brewing??
Buzz

kilikini

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> So its 1005pm and I just fired up the chimney. I have a pair of butts
> all rubbed and ready to go for tomorrow but I kept hearin' the WSM
> callin' me from the back porch. I don't think that absinth is having
> any affect on me. Guess I'll throw em on tonight and eat PP for lunch
> tomorrow. I'll be using Royal Oak lump and hickory for smoke. All
> South Rub on the pork. Hot Damn!

Yep, us too. TFM® is cutting up some wood as we speak to throw a brisket
and a chicken on the WSM. We'll be eating well tonight, albeit, later, much
later, tonight. He he he.

kili

kilikini

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> So its 1005pm and I just fired up the chimney. I have a pair of butts
> all rubbed and ready to go for tomorrow but I kept hearin' the WSM
> callin' me from the back porch. I don't think that absinth is having
> any affect on me. Guess I'll throw em on tonight and eat PP for lunch
> tomorrow. I'll be using Royal Oak lump and hickory for smoke. All
> South Rub on the pork. Hot Damn!

Yep, us too. TFM® is cutting up some wood as we speak to throw a brisket
and a chicken on the WSM. We'll be eating well tonight, albeit, later, much
later, tonight. He he he.

kili

F.G. Whitfurrows

kilikini wrote:
> Yep, us too. TFM® is cutting up some wood as we speak to throw a
> brisket and a chicken on the WSM. We'll be eating well tonight,
> albeit, later, much later, tonight. He he he.
>
> kili

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..Brisket!

Its now about 9am and the cooker is still holdin a glorious 250 or so
degrees as it has all night long. (I got up twice to check it) Butts are at
around 170 internal and I just opened the vents all the way to up the heat a
bit.

I need to go fix up a plate so I'll be already when lunch time comes
around.<g>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

2fatbbq wrote:
> No cooking today(gotta deliver a scooter to daughter in college) but
> will look for wisps of smoke from the west when we are on our 300mile
> journey<lol>

how the hell ya gonna get home after ya drop off the scooter? Ride the bus?
Heh!

> Been brewing??

I have been. Recently bottle my Cousin Sam Weisse, and I just dry hopped my
Sierra Nevada Pale clone 2 days ago with .9oz of Cascade hops. Its sitting
and waiting in the secondary like a nice little beer. I should prolly bottle
it in a week. I sure as hell hope it tastes good.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

kilikini

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> Yep, us too. TFM® is cutting up some wood as we speak to throw a
>> brisket and a chicken on the WSM. We'll be eating well tonight,
>> albeit, later, much later, tonight. He he he.
>>
>> kili

> MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..Brisket!
>
> Its now about 9am and the cooker is still holdin a glorious 250 or so
> degrees as it has all night long. (I got up twice to check it) Butts
> are at around 170 internal and I just opened the vents all the way to
> up the heat a bit.
>
> I need to go fix up a plate so I'll be already when lunch time comes
> around.<g>

It's 2:15 pm here and our brisket is looking pretty! We got our WSM up to
about 295F and the vents are wide open. We'll put the chicken on in a bit.

kili

kilikini

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> Yep, us too. TFM® is cutting up some wood as we speak to throw a
>> brisket and a chicken on the WSM. We'll be eating well tonight,
>> albeit, later, much later, tonight. He he he.
>>
>> kili

> MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..Brisket!
>
> Its now about 9am and the cooker is still holdin a glorious 250 or so
> degrees as it has all night long. (I got up twice to check it) Butts
> are at around 170 internal and I just opened the vents all the way to
> up the heat a bit.
>
> I need to go fix up a plate so I'll be already when lunch time comes
> around.<g>

It's 2:15 pm here and our brisket is looking pretty! We got our WSM up to
about 295F and the vents are wide open. We'll put the chicken on in a bit.

kili

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:09:09 -0700, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> wrote:

>So its 1005pm and I just fired up the chimney. I have a pair of butts all
>rubbed and ready to go for tomorrow but I kept hearin' the WSM callin' me
>from the back porch. I don't think that absinth is having any affect on me.
>Guess I'll throw em on tonight and eat PP for lunch tomorrow. I'll be using
>Royal Oak lump and hickory for smoke. All South Rub on the pork. Hot Damn!

Your Royal Oak obviously comes from a different area, Fos, as I don't
need to add any extras to mine.

Harry
phyteach

Greetings,

Did my first cooking (spares) with lump (R.O. to be exact) and I
noticed a huge difference in the smoke ring versus briquettes. To be
fair, it was also my first whack at spares, but literally all of the
meat was smoke ring colored. Anybody else notice this? Speaking of
spares, can anyone point to a website with pictures that describes how
to trim them, and what to do with the trimmings?

Scott

F.G. Whitfurrows

phyteach wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Did my first cooking (spares) with lump (R.O. to be exact) and
> I noticed a huge difference in the smoke ring versus briquettes. To
> be fair, it was also my first whack at spares, but literally all of
> the meat was smoke ring colored. Anybody else notice this?

If they were still tender and delicious then ya done good. If they weren't
then ya either oversmoked em or overcooked em.

Speaking
> of spares, can anyone point to a website with pictures that describes
> how to trim them, and what to do with the trimmings?
>
> Scott

Here ya go, teach. The virtual bullet website is the place. Add it to your
favs.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect2.html

A world of info here.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> Your Royal Oak obviously comes from a different area, Fos, as I don't
> need to add any extras to mine.
>
> Harry

Y'know, its possible I wouldnt need to add any either. I just always have
and would *never* think of doing anything different.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

TFM®

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> Your Royal Oak obviously comes from a different area, Fos, as I don't
>> need to add any extras to mine.
>>
>> Harry

> Y'know, its possible I wouldnt need to add any either. I just always
> have and would *never* think of doing anything different.

Us southerners prefer hickory. Royal Oak is ok by itself, but we just gotta
have our hickory.

--
TFM®

phyteach

Thanks for the info. Some of the ribs came out perfect, and others
were still a bit tough. I have a 60 degree differential across the pit
and I guess I didn't do enough shuffling. The pit is a char-broil
silver smoker with the firebox opening and lower smokestack mods in
place. It was kinda chilly (50 or so) outside which I am sure doesn't
help matters. I am doing two full racks (trimmed to St. Louis by
meself) today, and I wrapped the smoker in a couple of towels to help
even out the temp. We shall see how it all plays out.

BOB

"phyteach" > wrote in message
ups.com
> Thanks for the info. Some of the ribs came out perfect, and others
> were still a bit tough. I have a 60 degree differential across the
> pit

You don't have to take them all off at the same time. Those tough
ones were most likely not thouroghly cooked.

> and I guess I didn't do enough shuffling. The pit is a char-broil
> silver smoker with the firebox opening and lower smokestack mods in
> place. It was kinda chilly (50 or so) outside which I am sure
> doesn't

Where do you live? 50 is only chilly in Florida, southern California
and parts of Texas. I guess you don't cook outdoors when it's any
lower than that. I did a break-in cook on a couple of my "pits" when
it was sub-freezing here.

> help matters. I am doing two full racks (trimmed to St. Louis by
> meself) today, and I wrapped the smoker in a couple of towels to
> help
> even out the temp. We shall see how it all plays out.

Good luck.

BOB

phyteach

BOB,

Actually, I live in Buffalo, and Q year round. In fact a few
months ago I started a single digit Q thread. I wasn't chilly, but 50
is a little cooler than many people Q at. It seemed to make a big
difference in temperature. I did more today (also about 50 out) but
with the towels wrapped around the cooking chamber, the temp seemed
much more even. The ribs were awesome and teh chicken tender and
juicy.

Scott