Craig Busch

Default WSM vs. Kettle

It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see myself
doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking the
occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any comments
here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems the
WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
Thank you

Edwin Pawlowski

"Craig Busch" > wrote in message
> It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see myself
> doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking the
> occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any comments
> here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems the
> WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
> Thank you

Yes, they are. So get both. The smoker takes hours for a pork shoulder or
brisket, so you can grill up some chicken or fish for lunch while the WSM
cooks dinner.

Phatzzzs

Sorry for the newbie question but what is WSR? WSM? My brothers have
smokers and I have been experimenting with different kinds of grilling?
good luck on your decsion Craig!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Phatzzzs" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry for the newbie question but what is WSR? WSM? My brothers have
> smokers and I have been experimenting with different kinds of grilling?
> good luck on your decsion Craig!

W S M Weber Smokey Mountain. One of the better, easy to use smokers on
the market. About $200

phyteach

Craig Busch wrote:
> It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see

myself
> doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking

the
> occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any

comments
> here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems

the
> WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
> Thank you

Craig,

My advice would be to start with the kettle. It sounds as though
grilling (burgers, dogs, steaks sausage etc.) is your prime focus, and
the kettle does a fantastic job in that regard. For about 10 months
out of the year, I cook on my kettle to the near exclusion of the
apparati in my kitchen. I also learned to Q on the kettle (admittedly
an ongoing process after about 1 year), and I found that I enjoyed it
enough to move to another piece more suited explicitly to Q. I opted
for a Char-Broil silver smoker, and I am going to do my first ribs in
it this afternoon. I guess what I am trying to say is the kettle will
do everything from burgers to brisket, and depending on your evolving
tastes, you cna stay with the kettle or branch out. I have never heard
of a kettle owner that was disappointed with it, or wanted to go back
to "spit spit" gas "spit blech..."

If you do get the kettle, get the hinged food grate so that you
can add fuel during longer cooks. I have been able to get 5 hours (at
a slow cook of about 230 deg F) out of a kettle w/o re-fueling but when
you need to, it's nice not to have to find a place for your nearly
finished treasure on the grate.

Best of luck, and if you pay attention to guys like Brick, Pawlowski,
Bugg, Demidavicus, Whitfurrows and many others here you'll find that
you can do great things with whatever you buy.

Scott

Kent

"phyteach" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Craig Busch wrote:
>> It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see

> myself
>> doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking

> the
>> occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any

> comments
>> here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems

> the
>> WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
>> Thank you

> Craig,
>
> My advice would be to start with the kettle. It sounds as though
> grilling (burgers, dogs, steaks sausage etc.) is your prime focus, and
> the kettle does a fantastic job in that regard. For about 10 months
> out of the year, I cook on my kettle to the near exclusion of the
> apparati in my kitchen. I also learned to Q on the kettle (admittedly
> an ongoing process after about 1 year), and I found that I enjoyed it
> enough to move to another piece more suited explicitly to Q. I opted
> for a Char-Broil silver smoker, and I am going to do my first ribs in
> it this afternoon. I guess what I am trying to say is the kettle will
> do everything from burgers to brisket, and depending on your evolving
> tastes, you cna stay with the kettle or branch out. I have never heard
> of a kettle owner that was disappointed with it, or wanted to go back
> to "spit spit" gas "spit blech..."
>
> If you do get the kettle, get the hinged food grate so that you
> can add fuel during longer cooks. I have been able to get 5 hours (at
> a slow cook of about 230 deg F) out of a kettle w/o re-fueling but when
> you need to, it's nice not to have to find a place for your nearly
> finished treasure on the grate.
>
> Best of luck, and if you pay attention to guys like Brick, Pawlowski,
> Bugg, Demidavicus, Whitfurrows and many others here you'll find that
> you can do great things with whatever you buy.
>
> Scott

A great post! I agree word for word with Scott's statement regarding the
Weber kettle. I have the Weber Performer kettle with the gas lighter, and I
love it. I also have the Weber Silver Genesis B side by side, and I
virtually never use it, only the kettle. The Meco smoker is used lesss than
1% of the time, and remains behind the garage, stored. It is, however, used
rarely.
Kent

Dave

"Craig Busch" > wrote in message
> It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see myself
> doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking the
> occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any comments
> here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems the
> WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
> Thank you

I'm on my 4th Weber Kettle. The first got took out by a tornado, the 2nd was
stolen, the 3rd was ran over by a truck and now I have the 4th. Great
kettles, and with some luck will last a long time. Have to say it hasn't got
much use since the Primo Kamado showed up but before that day the old Weber
got quite a bit of use. Also have a smoky Joe that seldom gets used and a
gasser from down under that gets used 4 to 5 times a month.
Dave in Colorado

Mike Doyle

Phatzzzs wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie question but what is WSR? WSM? My brothers have
> smokers and I have been experimenting with different kinds of grilling?
> good luck on your decsion Craig!

WSR = TYPO
WSM = Weber Smoky Mountain
If you visit http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
you'll find out most anything you'll ever want to know
about a WSM.

electric kettle help Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 28 02-02-2009 07:06 PM
Bodum Tea Kettle- Your cup of tea!!! MsWeb Tea 0 06-09-2007 04:17 AM
Weber Kettle: Cannot keep it hot enough [email protected] Barbecue 17 24-03-2007 03:47 AM
Dualit kettle? Sam Tea 2 23-02-2004 10:18 PM
Kettle No More bonedaddy Barbecue 2 22-10-2003 06:05 PM