Default char-broil sante fe grill

I just got my first grill. I have been cooking on grills since my youth
but never one of my own since I didnt own a home and patio grills in
apartment are illegal where i come from. Anyway, can someone either
explain or point me to a link explaining the basics of controlling temp
of a grill by changing the openings of the vents in the top and bottom
of the grill? Also, can you replace the temp indicator in this thing
with a real thermometer?
Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

>I just got my first grill. I have been cooking on grills since my youth
> but never one of my own since I didnt own a home and patio grills in
> apartment are illegal where i come from. Anyway, can someone either
> explain or point me to a link explaining the basics of controlling temp
> of a grill by changing the openings of the vents in the top and bottom
> of the grill? Also, can you replace the temp indicator in this thing
> with a real thermometer?
> Thanks

Keep top vents open all the time. Adjust bottom vents as needed. More air
= more heat.

Don't waste your time replacing the thermometer. You get the hang of it and
don't really need an indicator. We're talking grilling, not baking a cake.

Yip Yap

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just got my first grill. I have been cooking on grills since my youth
> but never one of my own since I didnt own a home and patio grills in
> apartment are illegal where i come from. Anyway, can someone either
> explain or point me to a link explaining the basics of controlling temp
> of a grill by changing the openings of the vents in the top and bottom
> of the grill?

Changing the vents will have minimal effect on heat
with this grill. It is not air tight by any means. You
can best control heat by (a) starting a fire of the right
size and (b) moving things closer/farther from the
fire as needed.

-- Yip

superuser1

Thanks for the tips. Yea i figured that putting it on the right would
do the trick and then moving things near it as needed. Im trying to
figure out a way to make it slow smoke too.

Draegus

I disagree with the others on a couple of points here. First, you can
change the temperature by controlling your air input and outlet, and that
means the side vents and the exhaust. An airtight grill is not the
deciding factor to wether you can change you cooking temperature. I've
heard lots of people argue that keeping the chimney open all the way is the
only way to go, but from my own experimentation on several grills, I
disagree. Play with different combinations on cheaper cuts of meat until
you learn how your grill works. In general, the more airflow past the
charcoal, the hotter it will be.
Second, a good thermometer can be picked up at most barbeque outlets or on
line (Barbeque's Galore) for less than twenty dollars, and will help you a
lot more with your cooking than a thermometer that says "too hot, good, too
cold", or words to that effect.
Some people out there are gear-heads, and will try to make you believe that
you have to spend top dollar on the best equipment you can buy to get decent
barbeque, but don't believe it. Experiment, cook out often with friends and
family, and enjoy!
Draegus

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just got my first grill. I have been cooking on grills since my youth
> but never one of my own since I didnt own a home and patio grills in
> apartment are illegal where i come from. Anyway, can someone either
> explain or point me to a link explaining the basics of controlling temp
> of a grill by changing the openings of the vents in the top and bottom
> of the grill? Also, can you replace the temp indicator in this thing
> with a real thermometer?
> Thanks

superuser1

Thanks for the encouraging words. If you like to smoke this grill will
do that fairly well. I made a mean pork loin this weekend and I will
attempt a pork shoulder in a few days. The challenge seems to be
getting the grill hot enough for actual grilling. I will be
experimenting with a few things. I will try keeping the exhaust open
and simply modulating the side vents in the future.
Thanks again.