FoodBanter.com

-   -   Smoked Sturgeon (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/58594-smoked-sturgeon.html)

Louis Cohen 10-04-2005 06:10 PM

Smoked Sturgeon

99 Ranch not far from here has live, farmed sturgeon, something like
$4/lb. Has anyone every smoked one?

I'll give it try with regular hot-smoking technique and see how it
turns out. I might even try cold smoking, with a hotplate in the
bottom of the Kamado.

Kent 13-04-2005 07:21 AM

Louis, I wrote a reply to your post yesterday, and it died somewhere in the
internet.

ups.com...

Cam 13-04-2005 04:58 PM

Louis Cohen wrote:
> 99 Ranch not far from here has live, farmed sturgeon, something like
> $4/lb. Has anyone every smoked one?
>
> I'll give it try with regular hot-smoking technique and see how it
> turns out. I might even try cold smoking, with a hotplate in the
> bottom of the Kamado.

My brother caught a sturgeon when I was a kid. My Dad had it cold
smoked at a local Icelandic place and it came out just as good as
salmon.

Cam

Big Jim 13-04-2005 10:56 PM

"Cam" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Louis Cohen wrote:
>> 99 Ranch not far from here has live, farmed sturgeon, something like
>> $4/lb. Has anyone every smoked one?
>>
>> I'll give it try with regular hot-smoking technique and see how it
>> turns out. I might even try cold smoking, with a hotplate in the
>> bottom of the Kamado.

> My brother caught a sturgeon when I was a kid. My Dad had it cold
> smoked at a local Icelandic place and it came out just as good as
> salmon.
>
> Cam

--Bought some at a roadside stand in the Florida Keys in about '59-'60.
Possibly the best smoked fish I ever et. Cold smoked it was. Never had any
since. They were still catching them in some of Florida's rivers back then.
They are making a slow comeback now.
Next best all time smoked fish is mullet. Hot smoked.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Matthew L. Martin 14-04-2005 12:38 AM

Big Jim wrote:
> "Cam" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>

>>My brother caught a sturgeon when I was a kid. My Dad had it cold
>>smoked at a local Icelandic place and it came out just as good as
>>salmon.

> --Bought some at a roadside stand in the Florida Keys in about '59-'60.
> Possibly the best smoked fish I ever et. Cold smoked it was. Never had any
> since. They were still catching them in some of Florida's rivers back then.
> They are making a slow comeback now.
> Next best all time smoked fish is mullet. Hot smoked.

I'm partial to hot smoked bluefish, myself. I think the real answer is
"smokem if you gottem":-)

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even