JD

Default Pastrami heads up

Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a decent
pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I found one today
in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in Arlington WA cures and
smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled high and hot on seedy rye
bread with course deli mustard with a proper dill pickle spear on the side.
Had I been blindfolded I'd have sworn I was back east. Whoda thunk in a
podunk redneck burg like Arlington?

JD

F.G. Whitfurrows

JD wrote:
> Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
> decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I
> found one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in
> Arlington WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled
> high and hot on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a
> proper dill pickle spear on the side. Had I been blindfolded I'd have
> sworn I was back east. Whoda thunk in a podunk redneck burg like
> Arlington?
>
> JD

I wonder if they serve it at eh Everett location. I better plan on checking
that out.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

JD wrote:
> Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
> decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I
> found one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in
> Arlington WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled
> high and hot on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a
> proper dill pickle spear on the side. Had I been blindfolded I'd have
> sworn I was back east. Whoda thunk in a podunk redneck burg like
> Arlington?
>
> JD

I wonder if they serve it at eh Everett location. I better plan on checking
that out.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

JD

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> JD wrote:
>> Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
>> decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I
>> found one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in
>> Arlington WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled
>> high and hot on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a
>> proper dill pickle spear on the side. Had I been blindfolded I'd have
>> sworn I was back east. Whoda thunk in a podunk redneck burg like
>> Arlington?
>>
>> JD

> I wonder if they serve it at eh Everett location. I better plan on
> checking
> that out.

You mean that dive in the mall?? I don't think there's any connection; the
joint in the mall is Bam's as in named after someone nicknamed Bam, the
Arlington joint is BAM (BBQ And More). The mall joint just sucks out loud.

JD

JD

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> JD wrote:
>> Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
>> decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I
>> found one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in
>> Arlington WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled
>> high and hot on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a
>> proper dill pickle spear on the side. Had I been blindfolded I'd have
>> sworn I was back east. Whoda thunk in a podunk redneck burg like
>> Arlington?
>>
>> JD

> I wonder if they serve it at eh Everett location. I better plan on
> checking
> that out.

You mean that dive in the mall?? I don't think there's any connection; the
joint in the mall is Bam's as in named after someone nicknamed Bam, the
Arlington joint is BAM (BBQ And More). The mall joint just sucks out loud.

JD

Louis Cohen

You can make decent pastrami yourself - the quick way is to start with
corned beef, season with cracked pepper and coriander seed, and smoke
until tender.

If you have time and space in the fridge, corn your own beef brisket
first. http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/cornedbeef.htm

Horn

JD > wrote:
> Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a decent
> pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I found one today
> in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in Arlington WA cures and
> smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled high and hot on seedy rye
> bread with course deli mustard with a proper dill pickle spear on the side.

OK, JD, you got my mouth watering and since I had to go out to the suburbs of
Smokey Point it was an easy jaunt for me to get to BAM at lunchtime.

I was very disappointed.

I should have smelled a rat when I walked in and there was no smell and
only 1 person eating and 2 at the counter ordering. How can you trust a
que joint that has no smell? With the thought of good Pastrami still
dulling my wits I rationalized that he must smoke the meat at home and
bring it in with him in the morning, or sumpin. And there's no one here
because it's Monday. and I ordered the pastrami sandwich on rye.

The bread, which was TOASTED on the grill, appeared to come from the
Orowheat mold and the overwhelming sensation of the pastrami was SALT.
It's rare to get that much salt on anything. As an old desert rat who is
used to salty food I couldn't finish the sandwich. It seemed that when
the recipe called for a spoon of salt some one misread it and used a cup.

Maybe the chef was having a bad day or someone dumped the salt bag into the
wrong bin but I'm not likely to go back to try the Que either.

Regards,
horn (aka jim de lurker)Who would still like a good pastrami fix.

--
Remove +STRING to reply by email
Horn

Horn > wrote:
> JD > wrote:
> > Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
> > decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I found
> > one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in Arlington
> > WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled high and hot
> > on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a proper dill pickle
> > spear on the side.

> OK, JD, you got my mouth watering and since I had to go out to the
> suburbs of Smokey Point it was an easy jaunt for me to get to BAM at
> lunchtime.
>
> I was very disappointed.
>
> I should have smelled a rat when I walked in and there was no smell and
> only 1 person eating and 2 at the counter ordering. How can you trust a
> que joint that has no smell? With the thought of good Pastrami still
> dulling my wits I rationalized that he must smoke the meat at home and
> bring it in with him in the morning, or sumpin. And there's no one here
> because it's Monday. and I ordered the pastrami sandwich on rye.
>
> The bread, which was TOASTED on the grill, appeared to come from the
> Orowheat mold and the overwhelming sensation of the pastrami was SALT.
> It's rare to get that much salt on anything. As an old desert rat who is
> used to salty food I couldn't finish the sandwich. It seemed that when
> the recipe called for a spoon of salt some one misread it and used a cup.
>
> Maybe the chef was having a bad day or someone dumped the salt bag into
> the wrong bin but I'm not likely to go back to try the Que either.
>
> Regards,
> horn (aka jim de lurker)Who would still like a good pastrami fix.

Sorry the sammy sucked, but how was the mustard and the pickle? <g>

Good ta see ya back, Tomodachi-o. °~)

--
Nick. To send your support to Any of Our Troops in Harm's Way, go to:
http://anysoldier.com/

JD

> wrote in message
> Horn > wrote:
>> JD > wrote:
>> > Being an expatriate east coaster, I know from pastrami and finding a
>> > decent pastrami sammich on the west coast just ain't happening. I found
>> > one today in the most unexpected place. BAM (BBQ And More) in Arlington
>> > WA cures and smokes their own pastrami and serves it piled high and hot
>> > on seedy rye bread with course deli mustard with a proper dill pickle
>> > spear on the side.

>> OK, JD, you got my mouth watering and since I had to go out to the
>> suburbs of Smokey Point it was an easy jaunt for me to get to BAM at
>> lunchtime.
>>
>> I was very disappointed.
>>
>> I should have smelled a rat when I walked in and there was no smell and
>> only 1 person eating and 2 at the counter ordering. How can you trust a
>> que joint that has no smell? With the thought of good Pastrami still
>> dulling my wits I rationalized that he must smoke the meat at home and
>> bring it in with him in the morning, or sumpin. And there's no one here
>> because it's Monday. and I ordered the pastrami sandwich on rye.
>>
>> The bread, which was TOASTED on the grill, appeared to come from the
>> Orowheat mold and the overwhelming sensation of the pastrami was SALT.
>> It's rare to get that much salt on anything. As an old desert rat who is
>> used to salty food I couldn't finish the sandwich. It seemed that when
>> the recipe called for a spoon of salt some one misread it and used a cup.
>>
>> Maybe the chef was having a bad day or someone dumped the salt bag into
>> the wrong bin but I'm not likely to go back to try the Que either.
>>
>> Regards,
>> horn (aka jim de lurker)Who would still like a good pastrami fix.

> Sorry the sammy sucked, but how was the mustard and the pickle? <g>
>
> Good ta see ya back, Tomodachi-o. °~)

I don't know....either we didn't eat at the same place or I was eating a lot
of crappy pastrami back in NY and didn't know it. *My* sammich didn't have
anywhere near the salty taste yours apparently did. I wouldn't make a
special trip for their pulled pork sammich either but when in the
neighborhood and it's hungry time, it's a way better choice than the local
Mex or burger joint.

JD

FOR ALL YOU VEGETABLE HEADS Colonel_Edmund J Burke General Cooking 0 29-12-2008 03:33 PM
heads up ............ [email protected] Winemaking 5 28-09-2007 08:55 PM
Heads up WA.! vex Barbecue 1 23-07-2007 05:32 AM
Pastrami heads up JD Barbecue 0 10-04-2005 03:39 AM