FoodBanter.com

-   -   Propane bottles (an expensive lesson) (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/57764-propane-bottles-expensive-lesson.html)

Dimitri 30-03-2005 09:23 PM

Propane bottles (an expensive lesson)

About a week ago my old gas grill bit the dust - Actually a fire started
under the bottom of the grill and I was able to turn off the tank in time.
Oh well it was time. I think it was a Thermos with a cast pot metal barrel.
I don't know haw many times I rebuilt it. Any way Target had a Brinkman 3
cast iron burner grill on sale, 45,000 BTU + a 12,000 side burner.
Reasonable price why not?

Got one of the kids to pick it up (I know I should buy a small old pick-up
for some such jobs) and bring it over to the house.

Ok Saturday afternoon I started the "assembly process" Not bad reasonable
step by step instructions with not too many parts left over. LOL.

So I wheeled it out to the back yard and hooked up the tank. Turned the
valve on Hsssssssss. Turned it off and got the soapy water. Hmmm a leak
at the connector to the tank. It couldn't be tightened down enough to stop
the Hsssssssss.

Called the 800 number - sorry only M-F...

Ok I loosened the fittings to the burners and the side burner - grabbed the
regulator hose assembly and back to Target receipt in hand. Told the kid
at the counter - no spare parts - and they could not loosen the assembly
from the floor model (they were willing but no muscle).

Ok over to the Do-It-Center. $25.00 later I have a new assembly.

Back to the back yard put it all back together. Yea!

Turn on the bottle Hsssssssssssssss. Nuts!

Go and get the spare bottle which I should have done in the first place.
Hooked everything up

No Hssssss.

Look into the bottle and see a badly cracked dark orange colored ring
inside.

Next time I'll check the exchange bottles more carefully or have the
existing bottles filled.

An expensive lesson.

Dimitri

Steve Calvin 30-03-2005 10:22 PM

Dimitri wrote:
<snip>
> Go and get the spare bottle which I should have done in the first place.
> Hooked everything up
>
> No Hssssss.
>
> Look into the bottle and see a badly cracked dark orange colored ring
> inside.
>
> Next time I'll check the exchange bottles more carefully or have the
> existing bottles filled.
>
> An expensive lesson.
>
> Dimitri

I gave up on the return programs a few years ago. Now I have 2 30# tanks
that I got at an RV dealer. I prefer to own my own tanks so I know what
they've been through. I like the 30# tanks much better than the 20's
anyhow. I also got a gauge for each of 'em so I know how much is left.
Well worth the $.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin 30-03-2005 10:22 PM

<snip>

Bruce 31-03-2005 01:58 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:22:33 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>I gave up on the return programs a few years ago. Now I have 2 30# tanks
>that I got at an RV dealer. I prefer to own my own tanks so I know what
> they've been through. I like the 30# tanks much better than the 20's
>anyhow. I also got a gauge for each of 'em so I know how much is left.
>Well worth the $.

I bought a 100 lb tank at Lowe's for $80, went to a welding supply for
fittings and a longer hose. I fill once a year at most. Plus the
propane truck will stop to fill it just as cheap as if I took it in
myself.

Bruce

Bruce 31-03-2005 01:58 AM

Edwin Pawlowski 31-03-2005 03:00 AM

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> Next time I'll check the exchange bottles more carefully or have the
> existing bottles filled.
>
> An expensive lesson.
>
> Dimitri

Why pay the high price of an excange and get a bottle you know nothing
about? Just two hours ago I had two of min filled at BJ's for $8.39 each.
It does not get much cheaper. A new 20 pound bottle is only $20 there also.

Brick 31-03-2005 05:28 AM

On 30-Mar-2005, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> About a week ago my old gas grill bit the dust - Actually a fire started
> under the bottom of the grill and I was able to turn off the tank in time.

Okay already. I learned how to snip. (When I remember it)

> Next time I'll check the exchange bottles more carefully or have the
> existing bottles filled.
>
> An expensive lesson.
>
> Dimitri

Lesson well learned. Thank you Dimitri.