BOB

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Leonard Lehew wrote:
>

>> Ham is not the same as a flavoring agent as plain pork. I often use
>> ham hock to flavor vegetables and soups. When I use the term,
>> stock,
>> I mean the liquid produced by several hours of simmering bones of
>> some type of meat along with aromatic vegetables and herbs. How do
>> you make your ham stock?
>>

> I typically use a 1 pound ham hock, medium onion, large carrot,
> stalk
> of celery and a dozen or so whole peppercorns in about 6 quarts of
> water. Bring to a boil, skim off the top, cover and simmer for at
> least four hours, sometimes overnight. I try to reduce it to 4
> quarts
> before using it.
> If it simmered for a short period of time (4-6 hours) and I need to
> use it, I will fish out the hock and take the meat off the bones for
> later introduction into the finished soup. If it simmered overnight,
> the remaining meat has the flavor of cardboard, but the stock is
> much
> better for it.

I might do the same thing (more or less) in a pressure cooker. It
seems to bring out more flavor in a shorter time, but it still takes
hours of simmering to reduce the stock...maybe I'm not gaining
anything by using the pressure cooker? Oh well, my Grandmother taught
me this way, so it's a family tradition.

BOB

poaching in oil? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 12 29-09-2011 07:06 AM
Oil Poaching James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 2 07-10-2010 03:59 AM
poaching chicken biig General Cooking 15 21-01-2006 01:38 PM
Poaching eggs [email protected] General Cooking 1 22-04-2005 05:52 AM
Poaching Ribs Ch Barbecue 0 26-03-2005 08:19 PM