FoodBanter.com

-   -   griddle? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/56435-griddle.html)

Borax 13-03-2005 06:52 PM

griddle?

Hi,

I'm getting readyy to build a backyard grilling kitchen. I'll have a GE
Monogram 2 x 15,000 btu burner next to the grill, and a thought came
up. Could I have a piece of steel fabricated to cover the two burners
to use as a griddle for things like fajitas, pancakes or any other
griddle cooked food?

If so, what type of metal and how thick, plus does anyone have any
experiece in this?

Thanks!

[email protected] 13-03-2005 09:32 PM

Borax wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting readyy to build a backyard grilling kitchen. I'll have a GE
> Monogram 2 x 15,000 btu burner next to the grill, and a thought came
> up. Could I have a piece of steel fabricated to cover the two burners
> to use as a griddle for things like fajitas, pancakes or any other
> griddle cooked food?
>
> If so, what type of metal and how thick, plus does anyone have any
> experiece in this?
>
> Thanks!

Why not just buy one?

Edwin Pawlowski 14-03-2005 04:16 AM

> wrote in message ...
> Borax wrote:

.. Could I have a piece of steel fabricated to cover the two burners
>> to use as a griddle for things like fajitas, pancakes or any other
>> griddle cooked food?

> Why not just buy one?
>
>> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3943

Buying is probably the simplest way. I guess you could find a steel plate
thick enough, but cast iron is still a great cooking surface. Just a guess,
but I doubt that aluminum plate or steel plate would perform as well as the
casting.

Dave 14-03-2005 05:41 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> > wrote in message ...
>> Borax wrote:

> . Could I have a piece of steel fabricated to cover the two burners
>>> to use as a griddle for things like fajitas, pancakes or any other
>>> griddle cooked food?

>> Why not just buy one?
>>
>>> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3943

> Buying is probably the simplest way. I guess you could find a steel plate
> thick enough, but cast iron is still a great cooking surface. Just a
> guess, but I doubt that aluminum plate or steel plate would perform as
> well as the casting.

Call the folks at http://www.sunshinegrills.com and ask them about a
replacement griddle. About $50.
Dave

Bob Hayden 14-03-2005 06:34 PM

Lodge and others make cast iron griddles that fit over a standard double
burner stove...maybe that would work.

I have been looking for something that would go on the grill
itself...something larger, and I have come across the "Griddle-Q"
http://www.littlegriddle.com/products.html

I'm going to check this out but it looks interesting.

Bob in RSM,CA

oups.com...

Borax 14-03-2005 08:37 PM

Thanks.

I didn't realize that the were available. The one from
littlegriddle.com looks the most promising.

[email protected] 14-03-2005 08:45 PM

Bob Hayden wrote:
> Lodge and others make cast iron griddles that fit over a standard

double
> burner stove...maybe that would work.
>
> I have been looking for something that would go on the grill
> itself...something larger, and I have come across the "Griddle-Q"
> http://www.littlegriddle.com/products.html
>
> I'm going to check this out but it looks interesting.
>
> Bob in RSM,CA

When I bought my Weber Gold-C last year, the wife also picked up a
Weber cast iron griddle. It replaces one of the cooking grids, so it
covers one half of the grill and fits perfectly. It's made by Weber.
Here's the link http://www.weberstuff.com/webcasirgrid.html.
I love mine...Hope this helps. For non-Weber users, the dimensions are
17 7/16" x 11 13/16". The price is $39.95.

Cheers
Stan

Michael 14-03-2005 09:07 PM

"Borax" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks.
>
> I didn't realize that the were available. The one from
> littlegriddle.com looks the most promising.

Lodge makes two sizes. One is only slightly bigger than the other. I have
the smaller one (the bigger one was not available when I purchased) and it
has cooked pancakes every Sunday AM for the past twenty years in my house.
I bought it as a second at the South Pittsburgh, TN Lodge foundry. Guess I
should buy a good one next time.

I also have a Chinese knockoff of the Lodge that I use for camping. Only so
so but 1/3 the price. Get what you pay for.

Had to leave one of the knockoffs in an Alaskan cabin a few years back when
we ended up digging gold instead of fishing. Only the second time in my
life I made money on vacation. The other time I caught a Big Eye Tuna and
sold him to a Japanese fish broker.

Edwin Pawlowski 15-03-2005 01:15 AM

"Borax" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks.
>
> I didn't realize that the were available. The one from
> littlegriddle.com looks the most promising.

Reminds me of the griddles used in a lot of sandwich shops. Once well used
and oiled up, nothing sticks to them.