Daniel

Default Weber kettle, adding a thermometer...

I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a look at some
of the samples at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.

I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a thermometer
through it. My question is, can I use a regular meat thermometer to
measure the internal temperature of the kettle, or do I need to
purchase a special type of thermometer?

Thanks
Daniel.
Cam

Daniel wrote:
> I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a look at some
> of the samples at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.
>
> I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a thermometer
> through it. My question is, can I use a regular meat thermometer to
> measure the internal temperature of the kettle, or do I need to
> purchase a special type of thermometer?
>
> Thanks
> Daniel.

A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
thermometer, they measure up to 600+

Cam

Dave Bugg

Cam wrote:

> A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
> thermometer, they measure up to 600+

I think Daniel is primarily interested in barbecue instead of grilling with
his Weber, Cam. If that is the case, then a meat thermometer would be fine.

Daniel: Try to find a restaurant supply store. You'll have a selection of
sturdier thermometers to choose from.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Steve Calvin

Cam wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>
>>I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a look at some
>>of the samples at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.
>>
>>I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a thermometer
>>through it. My question is, can I use a regular meat thermometer to
>>measure the internal temperature of the kettle, or do I need to
>>purchase a special type of thermometer?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Daniel.

> A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
> thermometer, they measure up to 600+
>
> Cam

Just curious why you just don't use the Weber thermometer. Drill a 3/8"
hole, mount it and you're done for less than ten bucks.

Here's a pic. that is similar to what I did to my WSM but you could do
something similar to a kettle. I picked the thermometers up at Home
Depot. Took about 15 minutes to install them both and that included
getting the tools and puttin' 'em away.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/th...otos/davis.jpg

--
Steve
Daniel

Thanks for the reply's...

I'll look into mounting the thermometer on my kettle...

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Cam wrote:
>
>> Daniel wrote:
>>
>>>I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a look at some
>>>of the samples at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.
>>>
>>>I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a thermometer
>>>through it. My question is, can I use a regular meat thermometer to
>>>measure the internal temperature of the kettle, or do I need to
>>>purchase a special type of thermometer?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Daniel.

>> A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
>> thermometer, they measure up to 600+
>>
>> Cam
>>

> Just curious why you just don't use the Weber thermometer. Drill a 3/8"
> hole, mount it and you're done for less than ten bucks.
>
> Here's a pic. that is similar to what I did to my WSM but you could do
> something similar to a kettle. I picked the thermometers up at Home
> Depot. Took about 15 minutes to install them both and that included
> getting the tools and puttin' 'em away.
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/th...otos/davis.jpg
>
> --
> Steve

Kent

I don't think the temp. at the top of the dome of the Weber doesn't tell you
that much. I use an oven thermometer on the grill and when the temp. hits
what I am looking for I cook or roast, based on that temp. For grilling
directly, put your hand 4 inches over the hot grill; it should feel
uncomfortable when it's hot enough to grill your steak.
Happy Grilling to all
Kent

"Daniel" > wrote in message
>I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a look at some
> of the samples at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.
>
> I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a thermometer
> through it. My question is, can I use a regular meat thermometer to
> measure the internal temperature of the kettle, or do I need to
> purchase a special type of thermometer?
>
> Thanks
> Daniel.

cl

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Cam wrote:

> Just curious why you just don't use the Weber thermometer. Drill a 3/8"
> hole, mount it and you're done for less than ten bucks.
>
> Here's a pic. that is similar to what I did to my WSM but you could do
> something similar to a kettle. I picked the thermometers up at Home
> Depot. Took about 15 minutes to install them both and that included
> getting the tools and puttin' 'em away.
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/th...otos/davis.jpg

With either the Kettle or the WSM, you have to be careful when drilling
or else you risk fracturing/flaking off the coating.

Center-punch it and use a sharp metal bit.

-CAL
cl

Kent wrote:

> I don't think the temp. at the top of the dome of the Weber doesn't tell you
> that much. I use an oven thermometer on the grill and when the temp. hits
> what I am looking for I cook or roast, based on that temp. For grilling
> directly, put your hand 4 inches over the hot grill; it should feel
> uncomfortable when it's hot enough to grill your steak.
> Happy Grilling to all
> Kent

Shit, when I'm searing over lump I usually have it hot enough that I'm
uncomfortable a few feet away much less my hand 4 inchs over it. Last
time I measured it, my high temp thermocoupler started smoking and it
was already showing 1200deg at grill level before yanking it. The IR
emmision is massive. Yes this is on a kettle. All it take is a bit of
airflow to get it going (bellows or hair dryer)

-CAL
Cam

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Cam wrote:
>
> > A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
> > thermometer, they measure up to 600+

> I think Daniel is primarily interested in barbecue instead of

grilling with
> his Weber, Cam. If that is the case, then a meat thermometer would

be fine.

> Daniel: Try to find a restaurant supply store. You'll have a

selection of
> sturdier thermometers to choose from.
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Most meat thermomters I've seen stop at 200. Is that high enough? I
barbecue at 250.

Cam

cl

Cam wrote:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Cam wrote:
> >
> > > A regular meat thermometer won't go high enough. Get a candy
> > > thermometer, they measure up to 600+

> > I think Daniel is primarily interested in barbecue instead of

> grilling with
> > his Weber, Cam. If that is the case, then a meat thermometer would

> be fine.
> >
> > Daniel: Try to find a restaurant supply store. You'll have a

> selection of
> > sturdier thermometers to choose from.
> > --
> > Dave
> > Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> > http://davebbq.com/

> Most meat thermomters I've seen stop at 200. Is that high enough? I
> barbecue at 250.
>
> Cam

Just go down to Lowes, HomeDepot, etc and get a bbq thermometer. They
are already threaded and include the nut for around $7.

-CAL

BOB

Daniel wrote:
> I want to add a thermometer to my Weber kettle, I took a
> look at some of the samples at
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/.
>
> I am going to go with the cork in the vent hole with a
> thermometer through it. My question is, can I use a
> regular meat thermometer to measure the internal
> temperature of the kettle, or do I need to purchase a
> special type of thermometer?
>
> Thanks
> Daniel.

http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

If you can't find a good one here, you probably can't find it anywhere.

I bought 2 of the LT225R, 200/1000 degree therms and one LT225R 150/750
degree therm, all with the 2-1/2" stem, and also one of the BQ300 Glow
100/500 degree. The BQ300 Glow has a 1/2" NPT threaded base that might
work well for your Weber.

BOB

BOB

cl wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>>
>> I don't think the temp. at the top of the dome of the
>> Weber doesn't tell you that much. I use an oven
>> thermometer on the grill and when the temp. hits what I
>> am looking for I cook or roast, based on that temp. For
>> grilling directly, put your hand 4 inches over the hot
>> grill; it should feel uncomfortable when it's hot enough
>> to grill your steak.
>> Happy Grilling to all
>> Kent

> Shit, when I'm searing over lump I usually have it hot
> enough that I'm uncomfortable a few feet away much less
> my hand 4 inchs over it. Last time I measured it, my high
> temp thermocoupler started smoking and it was already
> showing 1200deg at grill level before yanking it. The IR
> emmision is massive. Yes this is on a kettle. All it
> take is a bit of airflow to get it going (bellows or hair
> dryer)
>
> -CAL

I bet that you don't brine chickens in your garage like Kent does, either.

BOB

Kent

My experience with lump grilling with the lid up hasn't been positive. The
"burn" is either too hot, or burned out. I recognize this isn't true for
closed slow indirect cooking.
When you say 1200F is that with the grill open to the air, or closed? Where
is your thermometer? Directly over the coals?
Thanks
Kent

"cl" > wrote in message

> Kent wrote:
>>
>> I don't think the temp. at the top of the dome of the Weber doesn't tell
>> you
>> that much. I use an oven thermometer on the grill and when the temp. hits
>> what I am looking for I cook or roast, based on that temp. For grilling
>> directly, put your hand 4 inches over the hot grill; it should feel
>> uncomfortable when it's hot enough to grill your steak.
>> Happy Grilling to all
>> Kent

> Shit, when I'm searing over lump I usually have it hot enough that I'm
> uncomfortable a few feet away much less my hand 4 inchs over it. Last
> time I measured it, my high temp thermocoupler started smoking and it
> was already showing 1200deg at grill level before yanking it. The IR
> emmision is massive. Yes this is on a kettle. All it take is a bit of
> airflow to get it going (bellows or hair dryer)
>
> -CAL

Kent

"cl" > wrote in message

> Kent wrote:
>>
>> I don't think the temp. at the top of the dome of the Weber doesn't tell
>> you
>> that much. I use an oven thermometer on the grill and when the temp. hits
>> what I am looking for I cook or roast, based on that temp. For grilling
>> directly, put your hand 4 inches over the hot grill; it should feel
>> uncomfortable when it's hot enough to grill your steak.
>> Happy Grilling to all
>> Kent

> Shit, when I'm searing over lump I usually have it hot enough that I'm
> uncomfortable a few feet away much less my hand 4 inchs over it. Last
> time I measured it, my high temp thermocoupler started smoking and it
> was already showing 1200deg at grill level before yanking it. The IR
> emmision is massive. Yes this is on a kettle. All it take is a bit of
> airflow to get it going (bellows or hair dryer)
>
> -CAL

Weber Kettle: Cannot keep it hot enough [email protected] Barbecue 17 24-03-2007 03:47 AM
Dobro-Q from a Weber Kettle Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 1 08-12-2006 11:19 PM
Weber Kettle vs WSM [email protected] Barbecue 7 18-12-2004 08:38 PM
Weber Kettle as a smoker bbq Barbecue 6 21-12-2003 08:54 PM
Turkey in a Weber kettle Fran General Cooking 11 16-12-2003 10:15 PM