Piedmont

Default Modify a Weber 22" to a WSM?

I'm looking at modifing my Weber 18-1/2" to make a WSM out of it. All I
want to do is add an extension between the bottom and the top.

Can't do a Magnum as they are use a 55 gallon drum, does anyone know if
a 30 gallon drum will fit?

Regards, Mike Willsey

Default User

Piedmont wrote:
> I'm looking at modifing my Weber 18-1/2" to make a WSM out of it. All

> want to do is add an extension between the bottom and the top.
>
> Can't do a Magnum as they are use a 55 gallon drum, does anyone know

if
> a 30 gallon drum will fit?

Why not just buy a WSM? By the time you add the parts to make a WSM,
plus the cost of the original grill, you'll have spent more that to
just buy it. It's not like the grill is useless once you get the WSM.

Brian

cl

Default User wrote:

> Piedmont wrote:
> > I'm looking at modifing my Weber 18-1/2" to make a WSM out of it. All

> > want to do is add an extension between the bottom and the top.
> >
> > Can't do a Magnum as they are use a 55 gallon drum, does anyone know

> if
> > a 30 gallon drum will fit?

> Why not just buy a WSM? By the time you add the parts to make a WSM,
> plus the cost of the original grill, you'll have spent more that to
> just buy it. It's not like the grill is useless once you get the WSM.
>
> Brian

Yeah, why go through the hassle when a WSM isn't super expensive?

-CAL
cl

> Piedmont wrote:
> > I'm looking at modifing my Weber 18-1/2" to make a WSM out of it. All

> > want to do is add an extension between the bottom and the top.
> >
> > Can't do a Magnum as they are use a 55 gallon drum, does anyone know

> if
> > a 30 gallon drum will fit?

> Why not just buy a WSM? By the time you add the parts to make a WSM,
> plus the cost of the original grill, you'll have spent more that to
> just buy it. It's not like the grill is useless once you get the WSM.
>
> Brian

Yeah, why go through the hassle when a WSM isn't super expensive?

-CAL
Piedmont

For me, $180 plus tax is alot of money. Since I already had 80 percent
of a WSM in kettle that I own. I wanted to cheaply step into the easy
WSM cooking techniques.

Regards, Piedmont

Dave Bugg

Piedmont wrote:
> For me, $180 plus tax is alot of money. Since I already had 80 percent
> of a WSM in kettle that I own. I wanted to cheaply step into the easy
> WSM cooking techniques.

Mike, have you checked to see if you can get a sheet of stainless cut to the
length and width you want? It would seem a simple matter of forming a tube
that would sit on the bottom half of the Weber. You could pop-rivet the
seam or even use ss nut and bolts to hold the seam together. Just a
thought.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Cam

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
> > For me, $180 plus tax is alot of money. Since I already had 80

percent
> > of a WSM in kettle that I own. I wanted to cheaply step into the

easy
> > WSM cooking techniques.

> Mike, have you checked to see if you can get a sheet of stainless cut

to the
> length and width you want? It would seem a simple matter of forming

a tube
> that would sit on the bottom half of the Weber. You could pop-rivet

the
> seam or even use ss nut and bolts to hold the seam together. Just a
> thought.
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Or you could cut a 45 gallon drum up one side and overlap the cut edges
to make the right size to fit on your kettle. Wear ear plugs if you use
a circular saw.

Cam

Piedmont

Dave Bugg wrote:
snip
> Mike, have you checked to see if you can get a sheet of stainless cut to the
> length and width you want? It would seem a simple matter of forming a tube
> that would sit on the bottom half of the Weber. You could pop-rivet the
> seam or even use ss nut and bolts to hold the seam together. Just a
> thought.

Dave,

Thats what I was pondering except just plain ole sheet metal.

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
Piedmont

Dave Bugg wrote:
snip
> Mike, have you checked to see if you can get a sheet of stainless cut to the
> length and width you want? It would seem a simple matter of forming a tube
> that would sit on the bottom half of the Weber. You could pop-rivet the
> seam or even use ss nut and bolts to hold the seam together. Just a
> thought.

Dave,

Thats what I was pondering except just plain ole sheet metal.

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
Piedmont

Cam wrote:
snip
> Or you could cut a 45 gallon drum up one side and overlap the cut edges
> to make the right size to fit on your kettle. Wear ear plugs if you use
> a circular saw.
>
> Cam

Cam,

I think you could be on to something!

Do what you said, plus, If I cut it right around one of the bulges that
goes around any 55 gallon drum, I could create a lip that would sit
right down over the kettle cooker bottom section!!

Cam, you are right on!!!

Thanks, so very much!!!!

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Piedmont

snip