Matthew L. Martin

Default Another wood question

regmech wrote:

> Back in August Ed posted a list of woods for smoking, tastes, type of
> meat they go with, etc.
>
> I got to thinking, I've got three great big silver maples in my yard,
> and I'm always picking up deadfalls. Some up to a couple inches in
> diameter.
>
> The list that Ed posted only listed maple, not sugar or silver or any
> thing like that. The question is: Would the larger pieces of this
> silver maple do me any good?

As long as it isn't decayed, give it a try. I use maple (typically red
or swamp) all the time. I don't know that I could tell it from hickory
by taste.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:15:49 -0500, regmech
> wrote:

>The list that Ed posted only listed maple, not sugar or silver or any
>thing like that. The question is: Would the larger pieces of this
>silver maple do me any good?

Absolutely. A few years ago I bought 300# of various woods from a guy
in Portland who sells mostly to restaurants. Both sugar maple and
silver maple were among the wood that he carried. I use it mostly on
pork.

Dave Bugg

regmech wrote:

> Back in August Ed posted a list of woods for smoking, tastes, type of
> meat they go with, etc.

I say this with all due respect for Ed: blindfold a group of 'Qers. Serve
them whatever meat you want to 'Q, using several different types of
fruitwoods, hickory, oak. Ask them to identify which meat was 'Qd with
which wood. Myth-busted. Some woods are distinctive by their neutrality.
Others by their tannin levels and other pungent aromatics. But group like
woods together (cherry, oak and hickory for example), and a properly 'Qd
hunk 'O meat will taste virtually identical as to its smoke flavor.

> The list that Ed posted only listed maple, not sugar or silver or any
> thing like that. The question is: Would the larger pieces of this
> silver maple do me any good?

Yup. Split it, then stack it off the ground.

> I just want revenge. Is that so wrong?

The only reason some people are alive is because it is against the law to
kill them. :-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> I say this with all due respect for Ed: blindfold a group of 'Qers.
> Serve them whatever meat you want to 'Q, using several different types of
> fruitwoods, hickory, oak. Ask them to identify which meat was 'Qd with
> which wood. Myth-busted. Some woods are distinctive by their neutrality.
> Others by their tannin levels and other pungent aromatics. But group like
> woods together (cherry, oak and hickory for example), and a properly 'Qd
> hunk 'O meat will taste virtually identical as to its smoke flavor.

I agree Dave. I can usually tell the difference between oak, hickory,
cherry, mesquite. I can't tell the difference between hickory, apple,
pecan. Differences between woods is easier to define on chicken and pork
than on beef. Difference disappear after the meat is in the fridge for a
while also.

Mix two woods together and it tends towards the basic "generic hickory"
flavor.

Mix a stiff gin & tonic or sip a nice bourbon and the differences become
more muddled.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Dave Bugg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Mix a stiff gin & tonic or sip a nice bourbon and the differences
> become more muddled.

LOL!!!

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

regmech wrote:

> I just went back a re-read these. I had missed this part Dave. Damn if
> you ain't right. <g>

:-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

wood question Andy Gilbert Barbecue 6 07-06-2005 05:30 PM
Wood question bk Barbecue 6 11-11-2004 11:33 AM
Wood question Tranch749 Barbecue 7 02-08-2004 09:56 PM
Question about Oak wood John T. McDougald Barbecue 17 16-06-2004 10:44 PM
Wood question Thalocean2 Barbecue 8 17-01-2004 11:07 AM