Piedmont

Default Another Homemade Lump Report

I have been working on improving the size of my homemade lump charcoal.
I had been burning wood inside a 55 gallon barrel to make my lump. As
you might remember, the last time I reported trying a different
technique. That of using a small drum, inside of a larger drum. The
results of a drum inside of a drum were much, much better than simply
burning the wood inside one drum. The lump chunks came out a lot bigger.

Well this time (I did a “burn” yesterday) I made two modifications. It
turned out that (well duh!) the charred wood covered the holes up. Also,
the wood at the bottom got too hot, burned too much, and became too fine
in size.

My modifications were these. I covered over the holes (6 – 3/8”) that I
had drilled into the bottom of the smaller drum with some bricks. Then
drilled 6 new holes about 8 inches down from the top of the small drum.
These two modifications worked like a charm.

The bricks acted as a heat shield so that the coals didn’t over cook the
wood at the bottom and by relocating the vent holes. I could actually
see the “jets” of burning gas expel from within the drum! This allowed
me to determine when I could stop stoking the fire. When the jets died
down to little or nothing, it could tell the wood was nearly cooked.

The actual process of getting the coals built up and stoking takes about
3 hours. To wrap it up, this burn produced the best lump I imagine one
could make at home. I will give this process my stamp of approval!

I will be doing another burn coming up soon, if there is anyone that
would like to see how it is done, and your in my neck of the woods, give
me a holler! We can do some spareribs at the same time.

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw