Chef Juke

Default Any Barbecue joint suggestions along I-95 from Fayetteville, N.C. to Jacksonville, F.L.?

Hey all,

The Family and I are visiting relatives back east (& South) this
coming week and will be driving from Raleigh, N.C. to Jacksonville
next Wednesday..

Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...

TIA

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Big Jim

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> The Family and I are visiting relatives back east (& South) this
> coming week and will be driving from Raleigh, N.C. to Jacksonville
> next Wednesday..
>
> Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
> little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...
>
> TIA
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Why don't you come by the Store and see me?
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Chef Juke

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:45:16 GMT, "Big Jim" >
wrote:

>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hey all,
>>
>> The Family and I are visiting relatives back east (& South) this
>> coming week and will be driving from Raleigh, N.C. to Jacksonville
>> next Wednesday..
>>
>> Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
>> little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> -Chef Juke
>> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>> www.chefjuke.com
>>

>Why don't you come by the Store and see me?

Hey Big Jim!

Well... we may... our time in GA is gonna be tight, what with my Wife
and kids never having visted before..we got a WHOLE lotta relatives to
see in 3 days...if we end up coming down to GA on Tuesday, then we'll
make a run for it. I'll give you a heads up if it looks like we can
make it.

How's things going btw...?

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Gerry Hopkins

I haven't found any on that route that I really like.

Exit 20 in N.C., is Fullers. Went there about two years ago. Very
popular local place. Dreadful!!

Maurice's is Ok (can't remember state or exit, but I think its S.C.)

Frankly, I've given up. I hope someone else knows of one they like.

Gerry

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The Family and I are visiting relatives back east (& South) this
> coming week and will be driving from Raleigh, N.C. to Jacksonville
> next Wednesday..
>
> Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
> little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...
>
> TIA
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Piedmont

Send me an email if you would!

amwil1024@comporium dot net

remove 1024

Regards,
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Piedmont

Follow this link about an old AFB posting and Q along 95.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...16e6eea9d9354f

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:40:52 -0500, Ralph D. Clifford
> wrote:

>Wilbur's in Goldsboro. Best Eastern N.C. style BBQ in the world!

Of the four samples of Eastern N.C. BBQ I had while in the area, I
have to say that Wilbur's was the best -- if we first define BBQ to
mean a plate full of bland, mushy, pre-chewed pork with no smoke
flavor.

PS: Please don't top-post and full-quote. It's rude.

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>if we first define BBQ to mean a plate full of bland, mushy,

pre-chewed pork with no smoke flavor.

Kev-

I'd define that as most BBQ throughout NC (except my house).

Rob

Kevin S. Wilson

On 18 Feb 2005 12:36:22 -0800, "
> wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>>if we first define BBQ to mean a plate full of bland, mushy,

>pre-chewed pork with no smoke flavor.
>

>I'd define that as most BBQ throughout NC (except my house).

That was certainly my experience, though I have heard good things
about Allen & Sons, which was closed when I was there. Overall, I was
disappointed in NC BBQ, particularly that pre-chewed texture. Blech!

Big Jim

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:45:16 GMT, "Big Jim" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> The Family and I are visiting relatives back east (& South) this
>>> coming week and will be driving from Raleigh, N.C. to Jacksonville
>>> next Wednesday..
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
>>> little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> -Chef Juke
>>> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>>> www.chefjuke.com
>>>

>>Why don't you come by the Store and see me?

> Hey Big Jim!
>
> Well... we may... our time in GA is gonna be tight, what with my Wife
> and kids never having visted before..we got a WHOLE lotta relatives to
> see in 3 days...if we end up coming down to GA on Tuesday, then we'll
> make a run for it. I'll give you a heads up if it looks like we can
> make it.
>
> How's things going btw...?
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Pretty good. May have a new house set up next week.
Hope Y'all can make it
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Piedmont

snip
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Chef,

I posted your request on The Kansas.. Barbeque Forum, so far this is all
I got for ya,

Posted by RibDog on February 18, 2005 at 14:16:12:

on February 18, 2005 at 11:05:34:

Not too far off of 95, but well worth the detour, is a place called
Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC. This is true old style SC BBQ. They only
cook whole hogs, the restaurant is only open on Friday and Saturday of
each week, and still run by the family who started it. If memory serves
me correctly, they only serve from a buffet. And they cook only with wood!

John

Regards,
--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Chefjuke

Thanks...A little out of our way...we're actually starting in Raleigh
on Wednesday AM...don't think we'll be hungy enough by then to be
thinking of eating....

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody eats when they come to MY house!"

Ricky

"Chefjuke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks...A little out of our way...we're actually starting in Raleigh
> on Wednesday AM...don't think we'll be hungy enough by then to be
> thinking of eating....
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody eats when they come to MY house!"

Have you looked he http://www.flbbq.org/joints.htm ?

Ricky

Aubrey Green

> Any suggestions for Barbecue along this route? Willing to sidetrack a
> little off the freeway if there's something exceptional...
>
> TIA
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Chef,

There is a pig joint at the Jeykll Island exit in Georgia. I have not
eaten there but friends of mine say it is good. Of course, I don't know
how much they had to drink before they got there. That's about all there
is close to 95 in Georgia.

Aub
MRTL

There are literally hundreds of outstanding bbq spots within five miles of
that route, and the only bad ones are within sight of I-95 where restaurants
depend on visibility and tourism, and erect their signs accordingly. Their
survival isn't based on the food, but upon the appetite of the people in the
cars and the competing signs along the roadway.

Five minutes or less from the interstate you'll find restaurants that depend
on local business and tastes, and that means competition for quality and
style. Drive the extra distance into any town and check it out...

Ike

Chefjuke

Hey, I think I passed this one when I visited Jeckyll Island last fall.
Will keep an eye out for it.

When I was in Georgia in Oct. there was a new little BBQ shack at the
kingsland exit off I-95 called Blues BBQ...guy had just opened and was
making great stuff...ribs were fantastic...