FoodBanter.com

-   -   A great cookbook! (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/54355-great-cookbook.html)

Piedmont 17-02-2005 06:07 PM

A great cookbook!

I just picked up a new cookbook that was at my local library and wanted
to pass on information about it.

It's called, "Steaks, Chops, Roasts, and Ribs". By the editors of
Cook's Illustrated Magazine. ISBN: 0-936184-78-7

I think anyone here would be interested in having it to add to they're
collection. It is a very detailed and informative cook book. It
explains and show diagrams of meat cuts as from the animal and then the
cuts you'll find in the grocers.

They cover oven cooking, grilling, indirect, direct, sauces, Chili
recipes. I don't get too excited about cook books but this is the first
one that I have seen that I beleive would greatly benefit those just
starting out and those that like to review the fine points.

For example, they talk about bacon and cooking bacon in fry pan, oven
amd microwave, what they did, what they saw and tasted and then they're
recommendation as to which gave the best results. They do this through
out the book.

They detail cooking in the Weber Kettle, gas and kitchen oven. There is
a basic bbq sauce recipe that has variations for Mexican , Asian and
Caribbean flavors using the first sauce as a base. Also some basic dry
rubs too, along with 2 Carolina sauces.

The link below is to Amazon.com where the book is located.

Regards: Mike WIllsey (Piedmont)

Kent 05-03-2005 01:35 PM

As a long term subscriber to Cook's Illustrated, some of their content is
pretty naive. I strongly suspect that Christopher Kimball knows less about
cooking on the Weber than you may.
Nonetheless, what they publish is well written, well illustrated, and
usually fun to read.
Kent

ups.com...

phyteach 05-03-2005 02:52 PM

Piedmont wrote:
I just picked up a new cookbook that was at my local library and

wanted
to pass on information about it.

It's called, "Steaks, Chops, Roasts, and Ribs". By the editors of
Cook's Illustrated Magazine. ISBN: 0-936184-78-7

SNIP some interesting review stuff

They detail cooking in the Weber Kettle, gas and kitchen oven. There

is
a basic bbq sauce recipe that has variations for Mexican , Asian and
Caribbean flavors using the first sauce as a base. Also some basic

dry
rubs too, along with 2 Carolina sauces.

The link below is to Amazon.com where the book is located.

Regards: Mike WIllsey (Piedmont)

Mike,

IMHO the best print source for cooking on the kettle is Webers
Big Book of Grilling. Granted, there is precious little oven/stove
cooking info, but the grilling is covered completely. It too is a joy
to read.

Scott

Piedmont 05-03-2005 07:29 PM

phyteach wrote:
snip

Mike,

IMHO the best print source for cooking on the kettle is Webers
Big Book of Grilling. Granted, there is precious little oven/stove
cooking info, but the grilling is covered completely. It too is a joy
to read.

Scott

Scott,

I'll have to give the WBB of G a look see.

As far as the CI cookbook, what I liked about it was the recipes
themselves. I also thought that it could be a good starter cookbook for
those just learning to cook (no cooking knowledge in the kitchen or
outside). Many explainations on where meat cuts come from on the beast.
Explaining about all the different cuts of meat. Shoot, I even liked the
review on how to cook bacon! But I also stare and drool compulsively at
odd moments too! (grin)

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw