FoodBanter.com

-   -   Wild Pork Roast (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/54326-wild-pork-roast.html)

Johnny Mc 17-02-2005 04:35 PM

Wild Pork Roast

Well, I have a wild pork roast about 5 to 6 lbs in size. It is just labeled
HAM, but it is not cured. I want to smoke it like I did the ribs you guys
taught me how to do. The pork tastes a little wild, so it needs to have lots
of seasoning.

Here is what I am planning:
1) Soak over night in buttermilk to help with the wild taste
2) Inject with seasoning, not sure what I should use?????
3) Rub seasoning on the outside
4) Smoke on my $99 sunbeam grill at 250F for 6 to 8 hours
5) paint on BBQ sauce the last 30 min.

Any suggestions?
--

I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, get rid of the "BAD-BEER"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stan (the Man) 17-02-2005 04:49 PM

Johnny Mc wrote:
> Well, I have a wild pork roast about 5 to 6 lbs in size. It is just labeled
> HAM, but it is not cured. I want to smoke it like I did the ribs you guys
> taught me how to do. The pork tastes a little wild, so it needs to have lots
> of seasoning.
>
> Here is what I am planning:
> 1) Soak over night in buttermilk to help with the wild taste
> 2) Inject with seasoning, not sure what I should use?????

Anything you like.

> 3) Rub seasoning on the outside
> 4) Smoke on my $99 sunbeam grill at 250F for 6 to 8 hours
> 5) paint on BBQ sauce the last 30 min.

I don't think it's going to cook to the proper temp (either slicing or
pulling) at 250-degrees for 6-8 hrs. You might consider upping your temp
to 300.

> Any suggestions?

Yes. Send me the finished product. For evaluation purposes, y'unnerstand.

--
Stan

Johnny Mc 17-02-2005 08:10 PM

> Johnny Mc wrote:
>> Well, I have a wild pork roast about 5 to 6 lbs in size. It is just
>> labeled HAM, but it is not cured. I want to smoke it like I did the ribs
>> you guys taught me how to do. The pork tastes a little wild, so it needs
>> to have lots of seasoning.
>>
>> Here is what I am planning:
>> 1) Soak over night in buttermilk to help with the wild taste
>> 2) Inject with seasoning, not sure what I should use?????

> Anything you like.
>
>> 3) Rub seasoning on the outside
>> 4) Smoke on my $99 sunbeam grill at 250F for 6 to 8 hours
>> 5) paint on BBQ sauce the last 30 min.

> I don't think it's going to cook to the proper temp (either slicing or
> pulling) at 250-degrees for 6-8 hrs. You might consider upping your temp
> to 300.
>
>> Any suggestions?

> Yes. Send me the finished product. For evaluation purposes, y'unnerstand.
>
> --
> Stan

Okay I will up the temp, but how will I keep it from drying out at 300F?

JakBQuik 17-02-2005 09:16 PM

"Johnny Mc" > wrote in message

> Okay I will up the temp, but how will I keep it from drying out at 300F?

Johnny--

Gitcha a meat thermometer. Cook that roast at 200 to 325, doesn't really
matter, tho the higher temps will save you some time.

That roast doesn't have a lot of collogen like a brisket or a Boston butt
(it's like a tenderloin, just a tube of meat) , so it doesn't benefit so
much from a low and slow and LONG cook. Shorter is better, sometimes.

You just need to get the center to about....I'm guessing here...about 140
for medium juicy pork. I'm sure others will have ideas concerning different
temps.

But get a thermometer. It's not the end all do all, but it helps.

You might try to find Allegro marinade in your store. Takes the gamey twang
off usually.

John in Austin

Johnny Mc 17-02-2005 11:43 PM

> Whats the point of a wild pork roast if you want to make it taste like a
> boring roast from the supermarket? If I were you, I'd find a mix of
> spices and seasonings that would accentuate the wild taste. otherwise, Id
> give the roast to someone who likes the wild flavors and go buy something
> from your local supermarket.

Hummmmm, along that line of thinking, why season meat at all. You are
covering up the taste of the meat with seasoning, why even add salt. The
reason I soak it in buttermilk to reduce the gamey taste is the same reason
you season any meat........ are you ready for the answer..... here it
is...... to make it taste better when served to my family. If it is too
gamey, they won't eat it, if I take measures to make it taste good they eat
it all and go back for seconds. You really should know this. And it will not
taste anything like a roast from a supermarket, trust me.
Also, I got 150 lbs. of pork for the cost of a 75 cent bullet. At a
supermarket they would charge me $300. You say give it away? Why would I
give pork that can be soaked, marinade, seasoned, cooked and enjoyed?
Thanks for the comments, but they are of no use. Worse than a Troll!

--

I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
Johnny Mc

Brick 18-02-2005 01:46 AM

On 17-Feb-2005, "Johnny Mc" > wrote:

> Well, I have a wild pork roast about 5 to 6 lbs in size. It is just
> labeled
> HAM, but it is not cured. I want to smoke it like I did the ribs you guys
> taught me how to do. The pork tastes a little wild, so it needs to have
> lots
> of seasoning.
>
> Here is what I am planning:
> 1) Soak over night in buttermilk to help with the wild taste
> 2) Inject with seasoning, not sure what I should use?????
> 3) Rub seasoning on the outside
> 4) Smoke on my $99 sunbeam grill at 250F for 6 to 8 hours
> 5) paint on BBQ sauce the last 30 min.
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
>
> I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
> Johnny Mc
>
> To E-mail me, get rid of the "BAD-BEER"
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't help you with seasoning suggestions. Too much personal
preference involved there. But I would take a good look at how much
fat and connective tissue content that piece of meat has. I'd compare
it with a commercial pork butt or shoulder and then decide how to cook it.
Low and slow works fine with fat meat, but is a no-no for lean cuts.
Considering that that was/is a wild hog, it's probably not very fat if at
all. If it compares in texture to a commercial port butt, I'd cook it slow.
But, if it's pretty lean like a commercial pork loin, I'd shift gears and
sear it really good over very hot direct heat and then finish it indirect
at about 300° to 350°. Having no idea what you can do with that
Sunbeam grill, that's the best I can do.

Brick (I've made enough mistakes to know what doesn't work)

Johnny Mc 21-02-2005 04:21 PM

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message

> "Johnny Mc" > wrote in message
>

>> Okay I will up the temp, but how will I keep it from drying out at 300F?

> Johnny--
>
> Gitcha a meat thermometer. Cook that roast at 200 to 325, doesn't really
> matter, tho the higher temps will save you some time.
>
> That roast doesn't have a lot of collogen like a brisket or a Boston butt
> (it's like a tenderloin, just a tube of meat) , so it doesn't benefit so
> much from a low and slow and LONG cook. Shorter is better, sometimes.
>
> You just need to get the center to about....I'm guessing here...about 140
> for medium juicy pork. I'm sure others will have ideas concerning
> different temps.
>
> But get a thermometer. It's not the end all do all, but it helps.
>
> You might try to find Allegro marinade in your store. Takes the gamey
> twang off usually.

Thanks John in Austin,
I used the Allegro Wild Game Tame Marinade. I injected the roast and put it
in a zip-loc with marinate, removed air and marinade over night. I grilled /
smoked at about 275F for 5 hours. Threw some ribs on too ;^)>
It came out AWESOME! The best wild pig I have made yet. Another success from
my $99 grill. Oh, I used Mesquite for smoke too, but not too much.

--

I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
Johnny Mc in Beaumont