FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chicken Diavola (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/53903-chicken-diavola.html)

Default User 15-02-2005 12:15 AM

Chicken Diavola

Another warm Saturday in St. Louis meant more outdoor cooking. I made
the Chicken Diavola recipe from America's Test Kitchen. Basically a
brined butterflied fryer, with a spicy mixture spread under the skin.

The spice paste was four medium cloves of garlic (minced), two
teaspoons ground black pepper, two teaspoons of red pepper flakes, and
1/4 cup of olive oil. This is heated to the sizzling point then cooled.
You then work your fingers under the skin of the breast and legs and
smear this around underneath.

It's cooked in a kettle grill, with a chimney of charcoal divided off
to either side for indirect cooking, all vents open to run pretty hot.

It worked pretty well, the only problem I had was the time. They said
30-35 minutes, it was much closer to an hour before I had safe temps in
the thighs. I use the Weber charcoal holders, perhaps it isn't as hot
as two piles on either side, or maybe their chimney was larger so more
charcoal. Hard to say.

It was good. A bit of smoke flavor and the spices worked well. I think
next time I may finish it directly over the coals to crisp the skin a
bit more.

Brian

salchichon 16-02-2005 12:12 AM

Default User wrote:
Another warm Saturday in St. Louis

where do you live in the STL? I'm there too!!!

Default User 16-02-2005 12:26 AM

salchichon wrote:
Another warm Saturday in St. Louis

where do you live in the STL? I'm there too!!!

In North County.

Brian

salchichon 17-02-2005 01:22 AM

salchichon wrote:
Another warm Saturday in St. Louis

where do you live in the STL? I'm there too!!!

In North County.

I'm across the river in St Claire county

Brian