FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chicken gloat (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/53817-chicken-gloat.html)

Kevin Craig 13-02-2005 02:42 AM

Chicken gloat

Mrs. Craig was wandering through Wal Mart today, not intending to shop
for groceries, when she saw 10 pound bags of leg quarters, with a $1.99
sign. She wondered if that might be per pound, so she walked up to the
closest "meat guy". As she opened her mouth to ask, he said, "No,
that's the price for the bag. No, there's no limit."

Methinks he'd been asked a time or three already. ;-)

So anyhoo, we didn't have the freezer space for more, so we now have 30
pounds of leg quarters for six bucks.

This was in Texarkana, Texas, for anyone who might be nearby.

Kevin

pk 13-02-2005 10:26 AM

Kevin Craig wrote:
> Mrs. Craig was wandering through Wal Mart today, not intending to shop
> for groceries, when she saw 10 pound bags of leg quarters, with a
> $1.99 sign. She wondered if that might be per pound, so she walked up
> to the closest "meat guy". As she opened her mouth to ask, he said,
> "No, that's the price for the bag. No, there's no limit."

Don't know what it's like in the us, but here in the uk i avoid such
unbelievable offers like the plague - here it is cheap for a reason: ery
low quality.

pk

oh,[email protected] 13-02-2005 12:06 PM

pk wrote:
> Kevin Craig wrote:
>
>>Mrs. Craig was wandering through Wal Mart today, not intending to shop
>>for groceries, when she saw 10 pound bags of leg quarters, with a
>>$1.99 sign.

> Don't know what it's like in the us, but here in the uk i avoid such
> unbelievable offers like the plague - here it is cheap for a reason: ery
> low quality.

Well, since they shop at Wal-Mart, obviously quality is not a concern.

Edwin Pawlowski 13-02-2005 02:01 PM

"pk" > wrote in message

> Don't know what it's like in the us, but here in the uk i avoid such
> unbelievable offers like the plague - here it is cheap for a reason: ery
> low quality.
>
> pk

Chickens are not animals here, but a mass produced manufactured product.
Takes about eight weeks on the production line. Once a bird is hatched, it
goes through a series of processes in different parts of the factory and
there is no way to skip a step or slow it down. If sales take a dip, there
is limited warehouse space to store the excess production and no way to stop
it quickly. To move them out, the price is dropped.

I don't know why they do this, but for some reason when they make chicken
parts, they make them in sets. Each bird consist of 9 (figure that one)
pieces when cut up. If one part outsells the other, the price is dropped on
the surplus part even more drastically. I'm sure they will eventually be
able to select a chick that has three wings or whatever, to balance things
out.

Default User 14-02-2005 06:12 PM

Kevin Craig wrote:
> In article >, pk
> > wrote:
>
> > Kevin Craig wrote:
> > > Mrs. Craig was wandering through Wal Mart today, not intending to

shop
> > > for groceries, when she saw 10 pound bags of leg quarters, with a
> > > $1.99 sign. She wondered if that might be per pound, so she

walked up
> > > to the closest "meat guy". As she opened her mouth to ask, he

said,
> > > "No, that's the price for the bag. No, there's no limit."
> > >

> > Don't know what it's like in the us, but here in the uk i avoid

such
> > unbelievable offers like the plague - here it is cheap for a

reason: ery
> > low quality.

> I'm not sure what a "low quality" chicken is. These are nice big leg
> quarters.

Those bags of leg quarters are just fine. It's because most people in
the US prefere the white meat, so the dark meat is cheaper. They are
better for Qing than the chicken breasts, as they have more internal
fat so they don't dry out.

Brian

[email protected] 15-02-2005 04:44 AM

Kevin Craig wrote:

> > Don't know what it's like in the us, but here in the uk i avoid

such
> > unbelievable offers like the plague - here it is cheap for a

reason: ery
> > low quality.

> I'm not sure what a "low quality" chicken is. These are nice big leg
> quarters.
>
> They taste like chicken. :-)
>
> Kevin

I would only worry about the freshness not the origin of the chicken
itself.
Heard a lot of stories of supermarkets slapping new dates on old meat
to try to sell it.

Jesse