Default Charbroil Commercial Series Stainless Steel rusting?

I bought a Charbroil Commercial Series grill in May 2004 at Lowes Home
Improvement in Florida, it's a 3-burner 40,000BTU with a side burner,
it wasn't the "complete" stainless steel, by this I understood the door
hinges and some other parts would rust. Lowes was sold out of the
complete stainless.

I last used it in November, and in February I took the cover off and
find the shinny grill top ("stainless") to be covered with rust, along
with other parts of the grill having rust. I used some Windex to wipe
the stainless down, maybe tomorrow I'll try and find some stainless
steel cleaner (what is best to clean rust off stainless steel?).

I keep thinking I should have bought the Webber Silver A/B.

My other thought is the cover doesn't breath, and is trapping moisture
helping to accelerate the rust. Which is better a cover that
accelerates rust or leaving it in the sea air (I live .5 miles from the
ocean)-jason

Matthew L. Martin

Steve Calvin wrote:

> I dunno but it seems to me if it was truely SS then it should rust.
> Sounds like marketing ploy but CB. My Weber Silver B has been outside,
> uncovered for 6 years and still looks like new.

Stainless steel sheets are rolled with steel rollers. The surface can
become contaminated and that contamination, under the right
circumstance, can rust. The OP is right where the circumstances are
right. Higher quality SS sheet is treated to remove steel contamination.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Steve Calvin

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>> I dunno but it seems to me if it was truely SS then it should rust.
>> Sounds like marketing ploy but CB. My Weber Silver B has been
>> outside, uncovered for 6 years and still looks like new.
>>

> Stainless steel sheets are rolled with steel rollers. The surface can
> become contaminated and that contamination, under the right
> circumstance, can rust. The OP is right where the circumstances are
> right. Higher quality SS sheet is treated to remove steel contamination.
>
> Matthew

oops. My original post should have read that if it was truely SS then
it *shouldn't* rust. Bad fingers....

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
jdoe

Again the problem with buying import chinese stuff.
Larry
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a Charbroil Commercial Series grill in May 2004 at Lowes Home
> Improvement in Florida, it's a 3-burner 40,000BTU with a side burner,
> it wasn't the "complete" stainless steel, by this I understood the door
> hinges and some other parts would rust. Lowes was sold out of the
> complete stainless.
>
> I last used it in November, and in February I took the cover off and
> find the shinny grill top ("stainless") to be covered with rust, along
> with other parts of the grill having rust. I used some Windex to wipe
> the stainless down, maybe tomorrow I'll try and find some stainless
> steel cleaner (what is best to clean rust off stainless steel?).
>
> I keep thinking I should have bought the Webber Silver A/B.
>
> My other thought is the cover doesn't breath, and is trapping moisture
> helping to accelerate the rust. Which is better a cover that
> accelerates rust or leaving it in the sea air (I live .5 miles from the
> ocean)-jason

Pierre

<snip>

> My other thought is the cover doesn't breath, and is trapping

moisture
> helping to accelerate the rust. Which is better a cover that
> accelerates rust or leaving it in the sea air (I live .5 miles from

the
> ocean)-jason

That would be my guess. The cover seems to be trapping moisture.
I doubt that the metal itself is rusting, (with pits and weakened
surface area,) but more akin to water stains . Might try elevating the
cover from the surface with something, a log or two.

You might try a tile cleaner, or I bet some of that "goo gone" stuff
would take it off. Just don't use an abrasive.

Pierre

Dick Wiegand

<snipped>
wrote:

> I bought a Charbroil Commercial Series grill in May 2004 at Lowes Home
> Improvement in Florida, it's a 3-burner 40,000BTU with a side burner,
> it wasn't the "complete" stainless steel, by this I understood the door
> hinges and some other parts would rust. Lowes was sold out of the
> complete stainless.

Stainless can rust under certain conditions:

I'd bet it's 302L series stainless (or close), which shouldn't rust no
matter where it came from unless there is contamination from outside
source.

1. If you use a wire brush or abrasive pad that has ever been used on
steel and then use on stainless - steel particles will remain behind and
show up as small spots or pits, steel wool pads will will do the same
thing.

2. Being in a ocean area doesn't help the situation much, better grades
of stainless will give better corrosion resistance to elements found in
seaside area, i.e. chlorides, (especially bad is SE USA, salt, etc.

3. If you have steel portions of BBQ that are not protected with some
other finish, they could be rusty, and possibly flakes landing on SS areas
where rust then forms.

4. How is rust on hinges? Are hinges SS? This would be 1st place to
show up - even if both pieces are stainless, as it is likely hinge
different grade of SS than door. These differences in SS alone are enough
to cause rust.

5. I've treated SS with Hydroflouric (sp) acid paste to passivate, but not
sure this is wise in this case.. I'd try using CLR (product used for
removing calcium, lime and rust stains from sinks and toilets) and see
what happens. Once removed, you can further clean with many products -
from SS appliance cleaner to products available at welding shops.

I'd finish with a coat of good carnuba wax. I always use this on my
propane cylinders, and they don't have any rust even in the joints where
welded. Once a year should be adequate.

Dick