Craig Watts

> That is a good way of dealing with it, the router hides yer ip address & you
> can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC. Only
> problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers, networking,
> DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing. The latest thing now is

True, a hardware router will hide you from the buggie man,
My hardware exists on DHCP for less than 24 hours before I insist on
assigning a static ip addy, and wire less left undaunted is shared by
neighbors. LMFAO! Assign MAC privileges please!

sigh.
Chef Juke

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:09:50 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> I have 256 mB memory, too. It's all available to me under 98SE, AFAIK.
>> BTW Security is why I continue to stay on dialup, too.
>>
>> Dinosaurs of the world, Unite!

>Ahh bullshit, get a Linksys router (now owned by Cisco) for $80. it keeps
>out the bad guys better than any software "firewall" AND antivirus combo
>existant. Me, I'm wearing a belt and suspenders with a router and ZoneAlarm.
>No worries.

Umm Duwop?

ZoneAlarm *IS* a software firewall.

Just saying...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Duwop

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:09:50 -0800, "Duwop" >
> wrote:
>
> > wrote in message
> >> I have 256 mB memory, too. It's all available to me under 98SE, AFAIK.
> >> BTW Security is why I continue to stay on dialup, too.
> >>
> >> Dinosaurs of the world, Unite!

> >Ahh bullshit, get a Linksys router (now owned by Cisco) for $80. it keeps
> >out the bad guys better than any software "firewall" AND antivirus combo
> >existant. Me, I'm wearing a belt and suspenders with a router and

ZoneAlarm.
> >No worries.

> Umm Duwop?
>
> ZoneAlarm *IS* a software firewall.
>
> Just saying...

Well, where did I say it wasn't? You mean the "quotes" around "firewall"?
Well, it does what it does well, which isnt as much as most users think.
Probably because they know their IT folks are always talking about the
corporate firewall, so then they get ZA and think they're covered when
they're not, because they don't really have a firewall do they? A router is
a real firewall and something like Z/A is a poor substitute, a pseudo
firewall if you will, or a nice adjunct. Since you work in this industry you
know this already though. I was suprised that you didn't mention it in your
other post too. If you are on broadband, it's my opinion that the best
investment you can make is a Linksys router, and screw wireless too, most
dont set it up right even though it's easy. I'd suggest buying a router
before any anti-virus s/w, Z/A or any other protection you can name. A
router is that powerful a protection from most malicious attacks.

Don't get me wrong, I like ZA, even during that loooong period when it was
blocking yEnc posts.

Dale

"Duwop" > wrote:
> "DC." > wrote in message
>
> > can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC.
> > Only problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers,
> > networking, DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing.

> Awe goddammit DC, don't skeer the folks off like that man. Doesn't sound
> like you've set up a Linksys *consumer* made for the home user router.
> Slick and easy html interface, easy to read (and follow) directions,
> nothing to it. A skirt wearing one eyed drunk could set it up.
> But if you on dial up, don't bother.

Well then, as a skirt wearin' one eyed drunk on dialup, whose Win98SE with
Norton AV & Personal Firewall is bulletproof, I won't bother. An extra $80
for booze! Thanks.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

kilikini

Niki wrote:
> Craig Watts wrote:
>
>> It seems like every progy you install wants to stay
>> resident in the systray

> QT is really bad at that.

TFM cusses out QT all the time! I install it because that's the video
program my camera works with for movies (.mov) and I become a cursed
individual. Why is it, though, when you remove it from start up in
msconfig, it bloody keeps coming back?????

kili

DC.

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> "DC." > wrote in message
>
> > can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC.

Only
> > problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers,

networking,
> > DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing.

> Awe goddammit DC, don't skeer the folks off like that man. Doesn't sound
> like you've set up a Linksys *consumer* made for the home user router.

Slick
> and easy html interface, easy to read (and follow) directions, nothing to
> it. A skirt wearing one eyed drunk could set it up.
> But if you on dial up, don't bother.

I've had my fair share of boxes to play with in my time, the *real* truth in
it is like with everything else, if you gonna get the job done right, it's
always better to learn & know the settings, protocols & how each work.
Configuring by html frontend interfaces or GUIs is dead easy just like
playing with a software firewall like ZonaAlarm but do yer actually
understand or know what ports yer patching up? and if you've got outgoing
traffic like IRC or FTP etc. you'll need to get them config. right as more
likely than not, these will be the ones hackers & bugs use to report back.
: ( The most common complain i hear with new users to routers or any home
networking goes something like this, it's great but how do i get my IRC or
other apps working, the damn thing is blocking everything!!

I'm not slating you Duwop, what you have set up is good, it's just that not
everyone here understands the intricacies of networking, the types of ports
hackers & viruses use to send data back or even the legit name of any apps
trying to call home for an update. Hell the basic pooter user is a stand
alone machine user & even if we've worked on a office network environment,
we don't really know technically the ins & outs of networking. Heck most of
us here are just plain Gluttons... drooling over wonderful looking food!
heeeheeeee.

But like i said to ol' Nick, if you're comfortable with what you have & it
works well, by all means go for it. As they say with Malaria & other bugs,
prevention is the best cure. So stay on top of it at all times ; )

DC.

DC.

"Duwop" > wrote in message
<snip>
> If you are on broadband, it's my opinion that the best
> investment you can make is a Linksys router, and screw wireless too, most
> dont set it up right even though it's easy.

Just like i said in my previous post... it's all easy frontend user
interfaces but the reality is the basic user ain't up to scratch with the
tech-no-no-gy, so they just opt for the easy set up... the frontend html set
up without really understanding the issues, that's why i'm using my
neighbour's wireless network. Now if my neighbours had done a bit of reading
& gone for a MAC set up, i won't be able to use their wireless network & you
won't be reading this post from me ; )

I've said it before & i'll say it again, If you're gonna do the job right...
know the subject & know what yer doing, don't just sit back & follow the
easy to use interfaces, it's a quick way to fix the problem but it might
cause yer more pain in the long run.

DC.

DC.

"Craig Watts" > wrote in message

> > That is a good way of dealing with it, the router hides yer ip address &

you
> > can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC.

Only
> > problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers,

networking,
> > DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing. The latest thing now is

> True, a hardware router will hide you from the buggie man,
> My hardware exists on DHCP for less than 24 hours before I insist on
> assigning a static ip addy, and wire less left undaunted is shared by
> neighbors. LMFAO! Assign MAC privileges please!

Always assign MAC privileges... i don't care if it ain't neighbourly not to
share yer wireless bandwidth but when you have personal data, i ain't taking
the risk! The latest horror story i heard was someone setting up a more
powerful WAP near yours & basically spoofs you into believing you are still
on your WAP while they monitor your traffic & data with keyloggers. That's
why i insist on a laptp with a real, physical on/off switch to disable
wireless if & when i need to & go back to using cable.

DC.

John O

> Why is it, though, when you remove it from start up in
> msconfig, it bloody keeps coming back?????

It's self-healing. There's probably another registry thing that says "if the
startup thing is missing, put it back." Probably have to uninstall to kill
it off entirely.

BTW, I hate QT too. But sometimes its necessary because the 3% of the world
that uses Macs seem to think that's all that's out there. :-)

-John O

Chef Juke

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:48:11 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:
If you are on broadband, it's my opinion that the best investment you
can make is a Linksys router, and screw wireless too, most
>dont set it up right even though it's easy. I'd suggest buying a router
>before any anti-virus s/w, Z/A or any other protection you can name. A
>router is that powerful a protection from most malicious attacks.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I like ZA, even during that loooong period when it was
>blocking yEnc posts.
>

>Dale

Well...

Yes. A router/'real' firewall is definitely a very good investment,
but is only part of the package, and for many home users, the last in
the line of likely purchases.

For my money, if I was giving a home user advice on what security
software to buy, it would start with AntiVirus, Anti-spam, SW
Firewall, HW firewall pretty much in that order. All the firewalls in
the world won't keep an email virus out of your inbox. and all it
takes is one click...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

DC.

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
<snip>
> Yes. A router/'real' firewall is definitely a very good investment,
> but is only part of the package, and for many home users, the last in
> the line of likely purchases.
>
> For my money, if I was giving a home user advice on what security
> software to buy, it would start with AntiVirus, Anti-spam, SW
> Firewall, HW firewall pretty much in that order. All the firewalls in
> the world won't keep an email virus out of your inbox. and all it
> takes is one click...

My exact sentiments too, there's all sorts of nasties out there & you're
more likey to receive a email bourne virus threat then anything else unless
you go visit some dodgy websites that d/l malicious codes to yer pooter.
Like you say, it takes one click to let the basturds in & once they're in,
it's a pain.

By the way... Graeme called again this morning (UK time) & he says he's got
most if not all of his drive & files back. The IT people in his office
managed to retrieve all his files but it looks like he was hacked in as
folders & files had 'thumbs.db' next to them. So i gave him my 2cents worth
of opinion & said we'll meet up next week to sort something out. He reckons
he'll get a Mac soon.

DC.

Nathan Lau

Bob in socal wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:21:12 GMT, Craig Watts
> > wrote:
>
>>>That is a good way of dealing with it, the router hides yer ip address & you
>>>can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC. Only
>>>problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers, networking,
>>>DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing. The latest thing now is

>>True, a hardware router will hide you from the buggie man,
>>My hardware exists on DHCP for less than 24 hours before I insist on
>>assigning a static ip addy, and wire less left undaunted is shared by
>>neighbors. LMFAO! Assign MAC privileges please!

MAC Address restrictions are worthless, IMO. MAC addresses are easily
spoofed by people knowledgeable and willing enough to go through the
trouble. Same thing for turning SSID broadcast off. It only makes it
harder for legit clients to get on your network, while doing very little
to prevent bad guys from getting on.

> It was a fun job getting rid of all that crap as I had to hack most or
> it out of my registry by hand as SpySweeper, Adaware or Spybot
> couldn't remove it. AVG antivirus removed the trojans and SpySweeper
> identified the adware but couldn't remove it. I had to find each
> entry, change it's attributes and delete it manually. As careful as I
> am, it took me by surprise and I'm amazed at it's sophistication, as
> I'd bet there aren't 2 out 100 users who are capable of removing it
> from their machines doing registry hacks.

AdAware + Spybot only takes out 54% of spyware installed, according to a
study done in October: http://windowssecrets.com/050127/

Microsoft's AntiSpyware software (formerly the top-rated Giant
AntiSpyware) is supposed to be the best out there. Ol' Billy just came
out and said it was gonna be free, too.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Nathan Lau

DC. wrote:

> By the way... Graeme called again this morning (UK time) & he says he's got
> most if not all of his drive & files back. The IT people in his office
> managed to retrieve all his files but it looks like he was hacked in as
> folders & files had 'thumbs.db' next to them. So i gave him my 2cents worth
> of opinion & said we'll meet up next week to sort something out. He reckons
> he'll get a Mac soon.

Thumbs.db is just the database that XP creates when you display a folder
in Thumbnails view. It's not the evidence of a hack.

With the Mac Mini at USD$499, it's pretty tempting to try it out.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Dana H. Myers

Chef Juke wrote:

> For my money, if I was giving a home user advice on what security
> software to buy, it would start with AntiVirus, Anti-spam, SW
> Firewall, HW firewall pretty much in that order. All the firewalls in
> the world won't keep an email virus out of your inbox. and all it
> takes is one click...

*Bingo*. Routers can provide a fair bit of protection from
brute force attacks, attacks which exploit buffer overruns
and other bugs in the the system's networking stack. This
is accomplished by deflecting incoming traffic and it
is a mandatory bit of protection in my book.

However, a router doesn't help with the most common
attacks - which target email, browser and, the worst
of all, executable downloads. Like the Chef says,
it just takes one click - on a reasonable looking
email, on a web page loaded with ActiveX exploits,
or on a cute game download, to punch a hole in an
otherwise secure firewall.

I agree whole-heartedly with Dale - any one of the
consumer Linksys/D-Link/Netgear routers is a
mandatory element in a home network. Once you've
put up the barbed-wire fence, you need to make sure
your users don't unwittingly open the door to
invaders, and that's where the anti-virus/anti-spyware
and SW firewalls come into play.

Cheers,
Dana
Dana H. Myers

DC. wrote:
> The IT people in his office
> managed to retrieve all his files but it looks like he was hacked in as
> folders & files had 'thumbs.db' next to them.

I'm not a Windows expert, but "thumbs.db" is commonly produced
by Windows when you have "thumbnail view" enable on your folders,
like when looking at pictures. It may be innocuous.

Dana

DC.

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
m...
<smip>
> Thumbs.db is just the database that XP creates when you display a folder
> in Thumbnails view. It's not the evidence of a hack.
>
> With the Mac Mini at USD$499, it's pretty tempting to try it out.
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau

The technophiles over in Graeme's office who had a look at his HDD &
recovered his data reckon it showed that someone was looking at them files.
It's not an area i know much about but having heard enough backorifice
stories, i'd get suspicious if i found something that wasn't suppose to be
there in the first place.

Mac Mini... Mmmm, they must have written this copy especially for you Nathan
"Let Mac mini entertain you, Show off your latest pictures, movies and music
on your Kitchen TV" ; )

Damn they sure are getting smaller by the minute, it's won't be long before
they build a edible mouth cam, router, modem, hdd, bung in a free mail
client with photoshop & nntp account (all totally wireless of course for
ease of use & retrival). I've already signed you up for the trials Nathan,
it won't be long now before you get a replacement for your infamous mouth
cam! heeheee.

Any news on how well Mac mini copes with overheating? i likes it but am
worried about the size of it. I have my pooter on at least 16hrs a day 7days
a week unless i'm out eating & drinking with Graeme ; )

DC.

John O

> Microsoft's AntiSpyware software (formerly the top-rated Giant
> AntiSpyware) is supposed to be the best out there. Ol' Billy just came
> out and said it was gonna be free, too.

For now. He'll make it really good, and squash all the minor players into
oblivion. Then it will cost us. In a big way. Waitaminute, am I thinking
about IE instead? or Media Player? or Word? Or Roxio?

That Windows Secrets issue, and the one that follows, are MUST-READ for
everyone. There's a link in there for a tool called WinPatrol. It's easy to
use, free, and slick.

-John O

Dana H. Myers

John O wrote:
>>Microsoft's AntiSpyware software (formerly the top-rated Giant
>>AntiSpyware) is supposed to be the best out there. Ol' Billy just came
>>out and said it was gonna be free, too.

> For now. He'll make it really good, and squash all the minor players into
> oblivion. Then it will cost us. In a big way. Waitaminute, am I thinking
> about IE instead? or Media Player? or Word? Or Roxio?

Actually, it's pure economics to produce and give away Microsoft
AntiSpyware. Windows licenses alone don't represent a huge amount
of margin to Microsoft, but spyware could make people use their
computers less, and rely less on Microsoft's high-margin products.

So I really doubt Microsoft will ever try to turn AntiSpyware into
a major moneymaker. They're slowly learning that you can't charge
for air to breathe when you're the primary source of air.

Dana
Duwop

x"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Chef Juke wrote:
>> D.C wrote..

Thanks all for your take on this as you guys deal with end users more than I
do. I have successfully avoided spam mail so well for so long that I just
don't see it as the threat that most face. Thanks for the reality check.

My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC as an
interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for security in
this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the required 1st
layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home network? There
doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the satellite protocols
avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense, but............

Chef Juke > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> All the firewalls in the world won't keep an email virus out of your
> inbox. and all it takes is one click...

Which is why you should have your AV check all incoming e-mails and keep
your virus definitions current.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

bbq

Bob in socal wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:21:12 GMT, Craig Watts
> > wrote:
>

>>>That is a good way of dealing with it, the router hides yer ip address & you
>>>can set up zonealarm to monitor for any outgoing traffic from yer PC. Only
>>>problem is... not many folks know the intricacies of routers, networking,
>>>DHCP etc. which in itself can be a bad thing. The latest thing now is

>>True, a hardware router will hide you from the buggie man,
>>My hardware exists on DHCP for less than 24 hours before I insist on
>>assigning a static ip addy, and wire less left undaunted is shared by
>>neighbors. LMFAO! Assign MAC privileges please!
>>
>>sigh.

> Basic NAT devices, like broadband routers, are not real firewalls, but
> they are usually considered ‘good enough’ for most home networks. By
> not forwarding requests or probes that originate from the internet to
> your LAN, a NAT device blocks most mischief. A simple NAT device can
> not keep hackers from running DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks on you,
> but individuals rarely get attacked like that. It will keep out people
> looking for file shares, rogue mail servers and web servers, and most
> port based exploits. Most also protect against SMURF and WinNuke
> attacks. With a NAT device and a good anti-virus program, you should
> be safe from the most common kinds of internet attacks.
>
> Your biggest problem is the Windows OS and it's vulnerabilities. I hit
> a link the other day that started up I.E. in the background,
> unbeknownst to me, as I was browsing with Firefox, that loaded me up
> with 2 trojans and 11 pieces of adaware before I knew what happened.
> I'm amazed that they can start up I.E. from a simple URL click and
> now will look really hard at disabling I.E. for that reason.
>
> It was a fun job getting rid of all that crap as I had to hack most or
> it out of my registry by hand as SpySweeper, Adaware or Spybot
> couldn't remove it. AVG antivirus removed the trojans and SpySweeper
> identified the adware but couldn't remove it. I had to find each
> entry, change it's attributes and delete it manually. As careful as I
> am, it took me by surprise and I'm amazed at it's sophistication, as
> I'd bet there aren't 2 out 100 users who are capable of removing it
> from their machines doing registry hacks.
>
> Be careful out there, it's a jungle.... 8^)
> __
>
> Socal Bob

You must have lots of time on your hands to go through the registry
manually. I am familiar with the registry, but damn, so many entries in
there I would never want to try and manually remove something.

Yea, it's a jungle alright.

BBQ
Craig Watts

kilikini wrote:
> Niki wrote:
>
>>Craig Watts wrote:
>>

>>>It seems like every progy you install wants to stay
>>>resident in the systray

>>QT is really bad at that.

> TFM cusses out QT all the time! I install it because that's the video
> program my camera works with for movies (.mov) and I become a cursed
> individual. Why is it, though, when you remove it from start up in
> msconfig, it bloody keeps coming back?????
>
> kili

Although I've used MSconfig and a number of startup managing programs a
lot of times it's best to launch the progy itself and go to
properties/show at start up-NOT.

No

Nunca

nee.

Craig Watts

Duwop wrote:
> x"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>
>>Chef Juke wrote:
>>
>>>D.C wrote..

> Thanks all for your take on this as you guys deal with end users more than I
> do. I have successfully avoided spam mail so well for so long that I just
> don't see it as the threat that most face. Thanks for the reality check.
>
> My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC as an
> interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for security in
> this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the required 1st
> layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home network? There
> doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the satellite protocols
> avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense, but............

Why does this remind me off the movie in which the guy kept a tin foil
cone around his head to ward off aliens?

Craig Watts > wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
> > x"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message

> > Thanks all for your take on this as you guys deal with end users more
> > than I do. I have successfully avoided spam mail so well for so long
> > that I just don't see it as the threat that most face. Thanks for the
> > reality check.
> >
> > My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC
> > as an interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for
> > security in this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the
> > required 1st layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home
> > network? There doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the
> > satellite protocols avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense,
> > but............

> Why does this remind me off the movie in which the guy kept a tin foil
> cone around his head to ward off aliens?

Works for me. Also keeps pink elephants out of the house!

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

CSS

geez, now I gotta update my filters to deal with this never-ending off-topic
thread...

Where's a netcop when you need one? kevin??

"Craig Watts" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> > Niki wrote:

> >>QT is really bad at that.

> > TFM cusses out QT all the time! I install it because that's the video
> > program my camera works with for movies (.mov) and I become a cursed
> > individual. Why is it, though, when you remove it from start up in
> > msconfig, it bloody keeps coming back?????
> >
> > kili
> >

> Although I've used MSconfig and a number of startup managing programs a
> lot of times it's best to launch the progy itself and go to
> properties/show at start up-NOT.
>
> No
>
> Nunca
>
> nee.

Duwop

"CSS" > wrote in message
> geez, now I gotta update my filters to deal with this never-ending

off-topic
> thread...
>
> Where's a netcop when you need one? kevin??

Overreacting aren't ya? Neverending meanering threads is one of the charms
of usenet. Course my damn newsreader can't handle it worth a shit, but
still........

You'd rather we were insulting each other?

Duwop

"CSS" > wrote in message
> geez, now I gotta update my filters to deal with this never-ending

off-topic
> thread...
>
> Where's a netcop when you need one? kevin??

Overreacting aren't ya? Neverending meanering threads is one of the charms
of usenet. Course my damn newsreader can't handle it worth a shit, but
still........

You'd rather we were insulting each other?

Chef Juke

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:45:03 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

wrote:
>> I've just gotten off the phone with Graeme. Regarding the
>> worm, Trojan horse or virus infecting his PC, he tried
>> some of the remedies that were e-mailed to him. He said
>> when he got to the point where he started manually
>> deleting the 'infected' files, the screen flashed and a
>> big sign came up, saying, "You've been Hacked!"
>>
>> He can no longer boot up. He can't re-install his
>> operating system because the bug disabled his CD drive.
>>
>> He asked me to send his apologies for not e-mailing those
>> who offered him assistance.
>>
>> BTW He doesn't know where it came from. He assured me
>> that he hasn't visited any 'naughty' web sites, so it may
>> very well have snuck in under the radar by hitchhiking on
>> an e-mail.
>>

>I'm forwarding an edited interchange from the University
>of North Carolina (USA) support mailin list!
>--------------- ---------------------------- --------------
>Subject: [support] Symantec Anti-Virus Vulnerability

Bob,

The flaw was announced last Tuesday and for folks who did not have the
option of upgrading Symantec released both updated virus definitions
that mitigated the vulnerability as well as a fixtool that removed the
vulnerability by disabling the redundant component that housed the
vulnerability..

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/sec...005.02.08.html

As of yet there has been no code found in the wild that exploits the
vulnerability, so if folks are updating definitions as they should,
there should be no issue.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

smithfarms pure kona

wrote:
>>> I've just gotten off the phone with Graeme. Regarding the
>>> worm, Trojan horse or virus infecting his PC, he tried
>>> some of the remedies that were e-mailed to him. He said
>>> when he got to the point where he started manually
>>> deleting the 'infected' files, the screen flashed and a
>>> big sign came up, saying, "You've been Hacked!"
>>>
>>> He can no longer boot up. He can't re-install his
>>> operating system because the bug disabled his CD drive.
>>>
>>> He asked me to send his apologies for not e-mailing those
>>> who offered him assistance.
>>>
>>> BTW He doesn't know where it came from. He assured me
>>> that he hasn't visited any 'naughty' web sites, so it may
>>> very well have snuck in under the radar by hitchhiking on
>>> an e-mail.
>>>

>>I'm forwarding an edited interchange from the University
>>of North Carolina (USA) support mailin list!
>>--------------- ---------------------------- --------------
>>Subject: [support] Symantec Anti-Virus Vulnerability
>>

>Bob,
>
>The flaw was announced last Tuesday and for folks who did not have

the
>option of upgrading Symantec released both updated virus definitions
>that mitigated the vulnerability as well as a fixtool that removed

the
>vulnerability by disabling the redundant component that housed the
>vulnerability..
>
>http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/sec...005.02.08.html
>
>As of yet there has been no code found in the wild that exploits the
>vulnerability, so if folks are updating definitions as they should,
>there should be no issue.
>
>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>www.chefjuke.com

VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
looking for some real computer help.TIA!

A bunch of people are abusing my domain address. I get at least 500
spams every morning when I open my computer. They are all "return to
sender" and during the course of a day this goes up to 1000 pieces of
email without exaggeration.

There is a sequence of random letters and then @smithfarms.com--one of
this morning's for example was This has
gone on for over a week. It distresses me no end for so many reasons
including sullying my good name <g>.. The only consistent thing I see
in the headers of these emails is <mail26.webcontrolcenter.com>.

Any help or direction would be so wonderful. I don't know what to do.
I am sorry for Graeme's highly complicated problem. I know my problem
is minor.

Again thanks and aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
DC.

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
<snip>
> VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
> looking for some real computer help.TIA!
>
> A bunch of people are abusing my domain address. I get at least 500
> spams every morning when I open my computer. They are all "return to
> sender" and during the course of a day this goes up to 1000 pieces of
> email without exaggeration.
>
> There is a sequence of random letters and then @smithfarms.com--one of
> this morning's for example was This has
> gone on for over a week. It distresses me no end for so many reasons
> including sullying my good name <g>.. The only consistent thing I see
> in the headers of these emails is <mail26.webcontrolcenter.com>.
>
> Any help or direction would be so wonderful. I don't know what to do.
> I am sorry for Graeme's highly complicated problem. I know my problem
> is minor.
>
> Again thanks and aloha,
> Thunder

Aloha Thunder,

Sounds like a virus on someone else's computer has sent itself on to another
computer using your email address(this is called forging) & the recipient's
ISP has intercepted it & tried sending it back to your email address. Why
don't you go View Source or the full header file for the returned or
'bounced' email... & pass this info on to one of the *experts* here to
confirm & advice. Whatever you do, don't post it here in it's full entirety,
email harvesters will simply pick up your *real* email address & you'll get
another load of spam & viriods coming yer way soon. I just delete these
emails when i get them. If anyone specifically complains to me, (which has
happen before) i normally ask them to contact their admin person & they'll
explain nicely what actually went on. Most of these happen because of poor
or non existant security on mail servers. I'll shut up now... for my 2cents
worth.

DC.

Nathan Lau

DC. wrote:

> "smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>>VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
>>looking for some real computer help.TIA!
>>
>> A bunch of people are abusing my domain address. I get at least 500
>>spams every morning when I open my computer. They are all "return to
>>sender" and during the course of a day this goes up to 1000 pieces of
>>email without exaggeration.
>>
>>There is a sequence of random letters and then @smithfarms.com--one of
>>this morning's for example was This has
>>gone on for over a week. It distresses me no end for so many reasons
>>including sullying my good name <g>.. The only consistent thing I see
>>in the headers of these emails is <mail26.webcontrolcenter.com>.
>>
>>Any help or direction would be so wonderful. I don't know what to do.
>>I am sorry for Graeme's highly complicated problem. I know my problem
>>is minor.
>>
>>Again thanks and aloha,
>>Thunder

> Aloha Thunder,
>
> Sounds like a virus on someone else's computer has sent itself on to another
> computer using your email address(this is called forging) & the recipient's
> ISP has intercepted it & tried sending it back to your email address. Why
> don't you go View Source or the full header file for the returned or
> 'bounced' email... & pass this info on to one of the *experts* here to
> confirm & advice. Whatever you do, don't post it here in it's full entirety,
> email harvesters will simply pick up your *real* email address & you'll get
> another load of spam & viriods coming yer way soon. I just delete these
> emails when i get them. If anyone specifically complains to me, (which has
> happen before) i normally ask them to contact their admin person & they'll
> explain nicely what actually went on. Most of these happen because of poor
> or non existant security on mail servers. I'll shut up now... for my 2cents
> worth.

I agree, it's probably a virus-infected computer that is sending spam
and forging addresses with your domain (smithfarms.com) in the "From"
field. Bounced spams are sent back to the apparent sender but are ending
up in your Inbox.

webcontrolcenter.com is connected with CrystalTech, the web hosting ISP
for smithfarms.com. If they are also providing your email services, I'd
get with them to see if they can tweak their settings so that email sent
to nonexistent addresses in your domain (e.g.
) get thrown in the bit-bucket instead of
defaulting to your Inbox.

Otherwise you'll have to set up some kind of filter or rule in your mail
program that shunts the spam to another folder (e.g. if "To" does not
contain " then move to Spam folder).

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
smithfarms pure kona

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:36:34 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>DC. wrote:
>
>> "smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>
>>>VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
>>>looking for some real computer help.TIA!

>> Aloha Thunder,
>>
>> Sounds like a virus on someone else's computer has sent itself on

to another
>> computer using your email address(this is called forging) & the

recipient's
>> ISP has intercepted it & tried sending it back to your email

address. Why
>> don't you go View Source or the full header file for the returned

or
>> 'bounced' email... & pass this info on to one of the *experts* here

>> confirm & advice. Whatever you do, don't post it here in it's full

entirety,
>> email harvesters will simply pick up your *real* email address &

you'll get
>> another load of spam & viriods coming yer way soon. I just delete

these
>> emails when i get them. If anyone specifically complains to me,

(which has
>> happen before) i normally ask them to contact their admin person &

they'll
>> explain nicely what actually went on. Most of these happen because

of poor
>> or non existant security on mail servers. I'll shut up now... for

my 2cents
>> worth.

>I agree, it's probably a virus-infected computer that is sending spam
>and forging addresses with your domain (smithfarms.com) in the "From"
>field. Bounced spams are sent back to the apparent sender but are

ending
>up in your Inbox.
>
>webcontrolcenter.com is connected with CrystalTech, the web hosting

ISP
>for smithfarms.com. If they are also providing your email services,

I'd
>get with them to see if they can tweak their settings so that email

sent
>to nonexistent addresses in your domain (e.g.
) get thrown in the bit-bucket instead of
>defaulting to your Inbox.
>
>Otherwise you'll have to set up some kind of filter or rule in your

mail
>program that shunts the spam to another folder (e.g. if "To" does not
>contain " then move to Spam folder).

Oh wow! Thanks you two! Yes I just moved my site to Crystal Tech
within the last 2 months and didn't connect it to Mail26.... I tried
to look up that up and couldn't get very far. Thank you for being so
smart!!

And I guess a virus can make up nonsensical and random letter
combinations.

I do have a filter on my incoming mail so indeed the spams go to the
spam file, but I check it too because I am afraid of losing important
things.

I'll keep working on it. TIA because now at least, I have more
information from alt.binaries food which I adore for the food
photos and good discussions.

warm aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Dana H. Myers

Duwop wrote:

> My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC as an
> interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for security in
> this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the required 1st
> layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home network? There
> doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the satellite protocols
> avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense, but............

That's odd and leads me to ask -

So, is the PC required to run some sort of support software,
or is it the case that the satellite company suggests using a
PC where a good NAT router would work?

Dana
Niki

BigDog wrote:

> http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html

Thank you BD. I'm always game for those.

--
Niki
Duwop

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
> > My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC as

an
> > interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for security

in
> > this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the required 1st
> > layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home network?

There
> > doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the satellite protocols
> > avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense, but............

> That's odd and leads me to ask -

I thought so too, didnt want to beleive it, but found a pretty good forum,
which while answering that Q, didnt go into security at all.

> So, is the PC required to run some sort of support software,

Yes.

Duwop

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
> > My parents just had satellite tv/cable installed and it requires a PC as

an
> > interface/modem(!). Is anyone familiar with best practices for security

in
> > this set up? I'm thinking a throw away puter to act as the required 1st
> > layer, with a router between that and the rest of the home network?

There
> > doesnt seem to be much literature on this. Maybe the satellite protocols
> > avoid port sniffing? Doesnt make sense, but............

> That's odd and leads me to ask -

I thought so too, didnt want to beleive it, but found a pretty good forum,
which while answering that Q, didnt go into security at all.

> So, is the PC required to run some sort of support software,

Yes.

BigDog

Bob in socal wrote in alt.binaries.food

>>You must have lots of time on your hands to go through the
>>registry manually. I am familiar with the registry, but
>>damn, so many entries in there I would never want to try
>>and manually remove something.
>>
>>Yea, it's a jungle alright.
>>
>>BBQ

Not to butt in here. I have a program that I run called
RegCleaner. Here's the link and a descrition. It works
well for me.

http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html

With RegCleaner you can easily get rid of those old and
obsolete registry entries created by software that you have
destroyed ages ago.

You donīt have to be an expert to use this program. Note that
this program is not like those other so called registry
cleaners, they search any filenames from registry, then if the
file doesnīt exist anymore they remove the registry key or
value where this filename was.

But RegCleaner shows you the list of software that are
registered in the registry and by checking checkboxes you
select which software you donīt have anymore and RegCleaner
removes all registry created by those programs automatically.

You can also remove start up programs that are started behind
your back and can dramatically decrease your computerīs
performance.

--
BigDog,
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Dana H. Myers

Duwop wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>

>>So, is the PC required to run some sort of support software,

> Yes.

That's just wild!

Dana
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message

> VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
> looking for some real computer help.TIA!
>
> A bunch of people are abusing my domain address. I get at least 500
> spams every morning when I open my computer. They are all "return to
> sender" and during the course of a day this goes up to 1000 pieces of
> email without exaggeration.

Happened to me too, on my private domain. Reason is that Sendmail and other
mail forwarding software has been enhanced to verify that the "from" address
is valid, before accepting mail. This is done to thwart the spammers who
would fake out return addresses. So now the spammers have to find real
"from" addresses to use, albeit someone else's. So like you, I was getting a
ton of bounces, all with fake usernames @<mydomain>.com.

What I did is remove the catch-all setting from my domain mail forwarding
(i.e. anything at mydomain.com would get forwarded to my mailbox). Now only
specific usernames are accepted as legitimate addresses, and everything else
bounces with "unknown recipient". So my domain is effectively useless to
spammers, unless they figure out my real username.

In short, be selective about which usernames at your domain you accept.

As regards spam sent to me, I use K-9 from www.keir.net to flag any detected
incoming spam. Its free, and smart, and you teach it to be smarter whenever
it lets a baddie through. Used it for a couple years now, and it works
great.

HTH

/MGolD

M Grubb of Little Delving, Esq.
"You only get to choose what you read, not what I write"

Duwop

"Niki" > wrote in message
> BigDog wrote:
>
> > http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html

> Thank you BD. I'm always game for those.

Nice, got rid of 1,400 old/invalid/useless registries that other tools never
touched.

ty BD