Harry Demidavicius

Default Pork Ribss

So riddle me this, please, guys.
Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
$5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].

But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.

Which would you buy?

Harry

Craig Watts

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

The large rack is called spare ribs. Not as delectable as Baby Back
Ribs. They can be cooked and eaten in different ways but the baby back
ribs are delicious and much more expensive.

HTH

Craig
bbq

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

Hands down Harry. The 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork' certainly sounds
like the best buying decision. You can cut off the bones, leaving some
meat attached for Ribs and cut the roast up into boneless chops, or
medallions as I've heard them called. When stores trim up spares into
St. Louis style, yea they trim 'em up so they are so neat and squared
up, but like you've seen, not much meat left.

Even though I am not much of a butcher, I would rather trim 'em myself.
The 12-13/rack price is about what I pay for what our store calls
'fresh spares'. The store cuts off the chine bone and includes it in
the wrapped up ribs. There is a flap on the bone side that is easily
cut off and I understand that once this flap part is cut off, it is also
St. Louis Style spares. But much more meaty.

Go with the 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork' over their version of St.
Louis Style anytime, at these prices.

BBQ
bbq

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

Hands down Harry. The 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork' certainly sounds
like the best buying decision. You can cut off the bones, leaving some
meat attached for Ribs and cut the roast up into boneless chops, or
medallions as I've heard them called. When stores trim up spares into
St. Louis style, yea they trim 'em up so they are so neat and squared
up, but like you've seen, not much meat left.

Even though I am not much of a butcher, I would rather trim 'em myself.
The 12-13/rack price is about what I pay for what our store calls
'fresh spares'. The store cuts off the chine bone and includes it in
the wrapped up ribs. There is a flap on the bone side that is easily
cut off and I understand that once this flap part is cut off, it is also
St. Louis Style spares. But much more meaty.

Go with the 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork' over their version of St.
Louis Style anytime, at these prices.

BBQ
Edwin Pawlowski

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

It sounds like she bought a pork loin section. Much more meat per dollar
than ribs.

The real answer lies in what are we willing to pay for ribs? Babybacks used
to be a throw away meat, chicken wings were 5¢ a pound year ago. Then along
came some chain restaurant that steamed and sauced the ribs, and some jerk
in Buffalo screw up the wing prices for the rest of us.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

It sounds like she bought a pork loin section. Much more meat per dollar
than ribs.

The real answer lies in what are we willing to pay for ribs? Babybacks used
to be a throw away meat, chicken wings were 5¢ a pound year ago. Then along
came some chain restaurant that steamed and sauced the ribs, and some jerk
in Buffalo screw up the wing prices for the rest of us.

Hahabogus

Harry Demidavicius > wrote in
:

> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?
>
> Harry

Now don't take this the wrong way...Ribs are nice...but a rack of pork is
very good eating.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:32:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
.. .
>> So riddle me this, please, guys.
>> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
>> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
>> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
>> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
>> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
>> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>>
>> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
>> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>>
>> Which would you buy?
>>
>> Harry

>It sounds like she bought a pork loin section. Much more meat per dollar
>than ribs.
>
>The real answer lies in what are we willing to pay for ribs? Babybacks used
>to be a throw away meat, chicken wings were 5¢ a pound year ago. Then along
>came some chain restaurant that steamed and sauced the ribs, and some jerk
>in Buffalo screw up the wing prices for the rest of us.

Oh yes - the question was rhetorical !!! I fully agree with Ed &
BBQ. You have to be a nut to buy a rack of ribs for the price of loin
or steak; especially when you can trim this cut and make ribs and
kabobs or something. Local Safeways are religiously thorough about
trimming off that flap of meat at the bottom, though. I guess we
'Users' shouldn't be trusted with sharp knives. I guess they end up
as ground beef, but are much too nice [and lean], to be ground up IMO.

They might be [are] tasty, but I'm not prepared to pay the tariff for
baby backs any longer. And with BSE, beef ribs are scarcer than hens'
teeth. I rather think the best bang for one's buck comes with chicken
thighs. Very tasty and all those trimmed off bits render down to
excellent [is there any other kind?] schmaltz too. A pack of 20
thighs, will make 1/2 an olive jar of schmaltz for me. Also Chain and
Oriental restaurants tend not to use them, so the price is likely
safe. My Chinese restaurant client sells me all the thighs that I
need on the cheap which is fine by me. She also gets me butts for
between 90 cents and a dollar-fifteen. I've never asked her to sell
me ribs as these are in high demand in that world and her place makes
a decent mark-up on them.

Harry

Dave Bugg

Craig Watts wrote:

> The large rack is called spare ribs. Not as delectable as Baby Back
> Ribs.

Big time disagreement, Craig. Spares, when done correctly are not only
every bit as good and succulent, but you also get much more meat and better
value. The only real advantage to babybacks is that they cook faster ---
which is why they find so much favor in the restaurant community; faster
product turnaround.

Suffice it to say, I don't subject my customers to the babyback rip-off.
:-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Craig Watts

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Craig Watts wrote:
>

>>The large rack is called spare ribs. Not as delectable as Baby Back
>>Ribs.

> Big time disagreement, Craig. Spares, when done correctly are not only
> every bit as good and succulent, but you also get much more meat and better
> value. The only real advantage to babybacks is that they cook faster ---
> which is why they find so much favor in the restaurant community; faster
> product turnaround.
>
> Suffice it to say, I don't subject my customers to the babyback rip-off.
> :-)

Point well taken Dave. (from someone who knows his stuff).

Craig

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> So riddle me this, please, guys.
> Samantha brought home .755 kilos of pork from Safeways. She paid
> $5.50. This cut, that Safeways call 'Pork Rib Roast Rack of Pork', is
> basically half a rack of ribs with the meat still attached [like a
> bunch of pork shops that haven't been cut apart yet]. I sometimes
> have them hold 2 complete racks for me and tie them into Crown Rack of
> Pork [about $20-24 dollars depending on the final weight].
>
> But right next to this there were full racks of [St. Louis style]
> trimmed ribs - no meat - for $12-13/rack.
>
> Which would you buy?

Is Samantha for sale? She sounds like the best deal you ever got!

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork) Sqwertz General Cooking 36 11-05-2010 03:53 PM
Pulled Pork -- what to do with already cooked pork with no spices added Dee.Dee General Cooking 25 18-11-2007 05:21 AM
Pork shanks vs. pork hocks OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 5 26-10-2006 07:36 PM
Pork Ribss Harry Demidavicius Barbecue 0 12-02-2005 06:22 PM
Questions about the "pork" smell with pork Steve Lee General Cooking 75 06-01-2005 07:48 AM