Default Rusty Findlay - Red River BBQ

So, a new "barbecue" joint opened up in Central NJ several months ago
(and, needless to say, NJ lacks good barbecue). It's been getting a lot
of press in the local rags,

http://nbs.gmnews.com/news/2004/1028..._Page/005.html

http://nbs.gmnews.com/news/2004/1223..._page/047.html

so I thought I'd check it out, even tho' it was somewhat out of my way.

I knew the road that it was on, and based on this quote,

"The restaurant took nearly a year to complete, Findlay said, and had
help from his son with construction and completion of the new location
at 365 Georges Road."

....I went looking for a new, stand-alone building so I drove right
through the main crossroad in town when I had the green light, only to
notice the "Red River" sign on one of the store fronts in a small strip
mall. I found that suspicious and never bothered to check it out again
until I recently got a job nearby.

Stopped in with a co-worker for lunch- no smell of wood burning, no sign
of a smoker "out back", etc. Ordered pork barbecue sandwich platter
with cole slaw and beans. "Oh, it comes with that", said the person at
the register. Was served, several minutes later, a barbecue *beef*
sandwich with small, "crinkle cut" french fries and a plastic shot glass
of cole slaw. ("OK," I thought...). The beef was swimming in sauce but
not too bad-- for "fast food". The fries were tasteless "shells"- no
potato left, just crust. The coleslaw was the same nasty tasting (too
much vinegar) chopped up stuff one gets at every chain restaurant or
uncaring diner that comes out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

It was edible, tho' (we had previously been on a job with only fast food
available, so this was at least that good) and my hungry co-worker
decided to get a pork sandwich this time, on "texas toast". I told him
to get beans this time with his "platter", so I could try them. The
pork was extremely "moist" and had no smoke flavor. Not much sauce on
it, so it was sort of tasteless EXCEPT for being overwhelming salty. I
thought that might be the "toast" (which was just thick cut white bread
with garlic powder, done on a grill with butter or some sort of oil) but
it was the pork. The beans seemed to have been poured out of a can of
Campbell's.

I asked the waitress where the smoker was. "Oh, all are meats are
delivered cooked and we just reheat them." So, I don't know what to
make of this line from the puff piece noted above-

"Everything is homemade, Findlay said, from dressings, to the potatoes,
to the sauces. According to Findlay, all meats are slow-smoked over
natural hardwood."

There main competition for fake barbecue is a nearby Big Ed's- a local
NJ chain specializing in baked ribs http://www.bigedsbbq.com/ - which IS
probably worse, but not by much.

Rusty burner. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 13 18-06-2014 11:37 PM
PING Rusty - Thank You! Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 07-03-2009 09:27 PM
Rusty Wok Pan [email protected] General Cooking 18 10-05-2006 09:22 PM
PING: Rusty Jude General Cooking 12 17-04-2006 11:00 PM
Ping: Rusty - Thank you Dee Randall General Cooking 2 30-07-2005 10:01 PM