mike

Default montreal smoked beef

I wondered if anybody out there has tried to duplicate the taste of montreal
smoked beef or new york style deli pastrami. i've come up with close but not
quite. any tips or recipes would be appreciated.
mike

Piedmont

mike wrote:
> I wondered if anybody out there has tried to duplicate the taste of montreal
> smoked beef or new york style deli pastrami. i've come up with close but not
> quite. any tips or recipes would be appreciated.
> mike

Pastrami

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

http://www.ranyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm

http://www.velvitoil.com/pastrami.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~DanGill/Curing.html

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

http://www.restaurantshow.com/cornedbf.htm

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/Smokedcornedbeef.htm

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Piedmont

http://www.randyq.addr.com/

http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm

http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML

http://www.velvitoil.com/index.html

> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
>
> http://www.restaurantshow.com/cornedbf.htm
>
> http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/Smokedcornedbeef.htm

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/smokedcornedbeef.htm

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/cornedbeef.htm

I reposted several of the links as they didn't come up for me, even
though they looked the same, they came up alright via google!? But, I
guaruntee they are all active and great sources. Randy's has real good
step by step pictures.

I went to local Super Wal-Mart last night, NO frigg'n packer cuts!!!!!!!
Ohhh, but now they have spares after not having them for the past two
months! Arrgggghhhh!! Good Ole Wal-Mart, now you see it now you don't
stocking policy.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Piedmont

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/cooking/pastrami.htm

Found this link also, supposed to be authentic.

Regards: Mike WIllsey (Piedmont)

Abe

On 14 Feb 2005 08:23:32 -0800, "Piedmont" > wrote:

>http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/cooking/pastrami.htm
>
>Found this link also, supposed to be authentic.
>
>Regards: Mike WIllsey (Piedmont)

--------------
Sounds really good. I wonder if that final smoking step would fill the
house with smoke and a smell that won't go away.

OSIRIS

On 14 Feb 2005 08:23:32 -0800, "Piedmont" > wrote:

>http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/cooking/pastrami.htm
>
>Found this link also, supposed to be authentic.

It might be authentic pastrami, but not authentic "Montreal Smoked Beef". True
Montreal Smoked Meat (it's referred to using "meat", not "beef" in Montreal) is
NOT the same as Pastrami.

If you google "Montreal Smoked Meat" you'll find numerous reviews by various
newspaper and magazine food columnists comparing the two. In the vast majority
of these reviews, the Montreal product wins handily over New York Pastrami.
Even in Montreal, there's a wide variety of flavours between different
producers. Snowdon Deli's doesn't taste the same as Ben's which is different
from Dunn's, which is not as good as Schwartz's, and so on.

"Smoked Meat" is eastern European in origin, not "Jewish". That is, it's from a
certain part of the world, not from a certain religious/cultural background. It
just happens that most of the people who brought the recipes from that part of
the world also happen to be Jewish.

No, I don't know how it's made. The delis mentioned above all guard their
secret recipes like the USA guards Fort Knox. That's too bad, 'cos I'd love to
be able to make my own.

Piedmont

Abe wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2005 08:23:32 -0800, "Piedmont" > wrote:
>

>>http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/cooking/pastrami.htm
>>
>>Found this link also, supposed to be authentic.
>>
>>Regards: Mike WIllsey (Piedmont)

> Sounds really good. I wonder if that final smoking step would fill the
> house with smoke and a smell that won't go away.

I would bet that it would!
I'm going to try it as soon as they start selling packer cuts here
again, hopefully soon. Except I will cook the whole time in the cooker.