Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in upstate NY. No good BBQ joints anywhere.

1. Can someone provide gotchas related to opening a small BBQ joint?(I
don't want to open a franchise related place).

Sure, not enough people in the area to support one. Probably less than 1%
know what real bbq is. We had a mediocre one in my town, population 10,000
and surrounding towns of another 15,000 and it barely made it for a couple
of years. Finally closed in December.

2. Where is the best place in USA to order a wood smoker?

Sitting at your desk in your office.

3. Why don't famous places like Arthur Bryant's expand in the East?
Should be a no-brainer in theory.

Sure, not enough people in the area to support one. Probably less than 1%
know what real bbq is.

4. How much should a decent pit master make?(I want to recruit one from
the West).

I'd do it for you for 100k, but it would have to be up front or in an escrow
account. Too many restaurants fold after a few months.

Truth is, I rarely ate at the bbq place in town, or any other others in the
east. Why? Because none make the food as good as I can at home. If it
does not meet my standards, I'm not buying it. Here in New England to worst
of places make a decent chowder and I often order it when out. . Very few
bbq places make it big because people just don't care about it. The care
about chowder and fish 'n' chips.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 09-02-2005, 06:00 AM
[email protected]

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I hope you're listening AND paying attention, Nat. None of the posts that
I've seen in response to your question have been intended to turn you off,
only to make you think. Call it tough love. Ponder well, Grasshopper!

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 PM
[email protected]

Yeah, very surprised by the complexity...

I was working in VA (just outside DC) a few years ago. There was a farm
near my office complex. One of the farmers would smoke a large pig
every day in a homemade smoker he kept right by the road. At lunch
time, we would all go over there to get $5.00 plates of pretty decent
Q. By 2:30 he would sell all the meat and always had a pretty
impressive wad of cash (income tax free).
When I lost my job, I stopped in for my last meal and thought to myself
"..this guy with a 3rd grade education has the best gig in town and
sleeps much better than me....".

Nat

Old 10-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, very surprised by the complexity...

I was working in VA (just outside DC) a few years ago. There was a farm
near my office complex. One of the farmers would smoke a large pig
every day in a homemade smoker he kept right by the road. At lunch
time, we would all go over there to get $5.00 plates of pretty decent
Q. By 2:30 he would sell all the meat and always had a pretty
impressive wad of cash (income tax free).
When I lost my job, I stopped in for my last meal and thought to myself
"..this guy with a 3rd grade education has the best gig in town and
sleeps much better than me....".

Nat

If you read the history of barbecue, there were many people that did that
sort of thing. Probably the best food you can get. Today, they'd take you
to court and take away the family farm in court costs and fines.

Check out the requirements for a catering truck to comply with all the laws.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:12 AM
[email protected]

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Here in Los Angeles, the requirements are brutal, not only for the truck
but for your base of operations. While they're called 'Roach Coaches', if
they find on roach, dead or alive, or one rat turd, you're shut down. I
forget what the re-inspection to let you operate again costs, but it's much
more thorough, if that's possible.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Old 12-02-2005, 11:01 AM
MonopTN

The locals would not eat his ribs unless they were boiled first!

That's one way to make the folks here boil their ribs. If they buy 'em,
boil em!

wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
!

Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Steve House

Come north a bit over into Southern Ontario and visit Camp 31

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in upstate NY. No good BBQ joints anywhere.

1. Can someone provide gotchas related to opening a small BBQ joint?(I
don't want to open a franchise related place).

2. Where is the best place in USA to order a wood smoker?

3. Why don't famous places like Arthur Bryant's expand in the East?
Should be a no-brainer in theory.

4. How much should a decent pit master make?(I want to recruit one from
the West).

Thanks
Nat

Another BBQ joint done gone Zz Yzx Barbecue 9 01-09-2012 04:00 PM
tried a new Q joint piedmont Barbecue 2 02-05-2010 06:25 PM
i am joint to your group [email protected] General Cooking 1 07-07-2008 02:23 PM
Starting a wine bar - need advice for restaurant supplies [email protected] Wine 18 05-11-2005 01:34 PM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM