MRTL

Default SC mustard-based bbq sauce: recipes?

On one wonderful gastronomical road trip, we traveled from NC (no sauce) to
SC (yellow sauce) to GA (light/tart red sauce) to points west (heavy/sweet
red sauce). From a bbq viewpoint, we literally pigged out. The folks in
North Carolina insisted that:

1. The only BBQ is pulled pork
2. If you can't get it right, add sauce
3. BBQ came from Haiti to NC, then spread

When we were off the beaten path in SC we found a yellow BBQ sauce that was
tart and based on mustard. Really great stuff, but we have no idea what was
really in it and though we've seen a couple of recipes nothing has come even
close to what we had there.

Thomas Cormen

"MRTL" > writes:
> When we were off the beaten path in SC we found a yellow BBQ sauce that was
> tart and based on mustard. Really great stuff, but we have no idea what was
> really in it and though we've seen a couple of recipes nothing has come even
> close to what we had there.

My atlas doesn't have "off the beaten path, SC" in it. Just where in
SC were you? I ate at the famous Maurice's Piggy Park in Columbia,
and there's no way I'd ever permit that yellow crap he serves to
travel down my gullet ever again. I'd like to find a good
mustard-based sauce. If it's based on yellow mustard, it is by
definition baaaaaad.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
MRTL

"Thomas Cormen" wrote in message news:...
> "MRTL" writes:
> > When we were off the beaten path in SC we found a yellow BBQ sauce that
> > was
> > tart and based on mustard. Really great stuff, but we have no idea what
> > was
> > really in it and though we've seen a couple of recipes nothing has come
> > even
> > close to what we had there.

> My atlas doesn't have "off the beaten path, SC" in it. Just where in
> SC were you? I ate at the famous Maurice's Piggy Park in Columbia,
> and there's no way I'd ever permit that yellow crap he serves to
> travel down my gullet ever again. I'd like to find a good
> mustard-based sauce. If it's based on yellow mustard, it is by
> definition baaaaaad.

We were on horseback, near the Saluda River about four miles from
Offthebeatenpath Creek. Actually, I have no idea exactly what towns we were
in, but we ate bbq 2-3 times on that week-long trip - always the same sauce,
always great. I've never tried Maurice's, but a friend who was with us
shares your opinion.

Ray Gordon

> On one wonderful gastronomical road trip, we traveled from NC (no sauce)
> to SC (yellow sauce) to GA (light/tart red sauce) to points west
> (heavy/sweet red sauce). From a bbq viewpoint, we literally pigged out.
> The folks in North Carolina insisted that:
>
> 1. The only BBQ is pulled pork
> 2. If you can't get it right, add sauce
> 3. BBQ came from Haiti to NC, then spread

BBQ probably was someone's "burned" beef jerky.

Clifford Payne

Reply at bottom, in keeping with the odd conventions of this list.

"MRTL" > wrote in message
> On one wonderful gastronomical road trip, we traveled from NC (no sauce)
> to SC (yellow sauce) to GA (light/tart red sauce) to points west
> (heavy/sweet red sauce). From a bbq viewpoint, we literally pigged out.
> The folks in North Carolina insisted that:
>
> 1. The only BBQ is pulled pork
> 2. If you can't get it right, add sauce
> 3. BBQ came from Haiti to NC, then spread
>
> When we were off the beaten path in SC we found a yellow BBQ sauce that
> was tart and based on mustard. Really great stuff, but we have no idea
> what was really in it and though we've seen a couple of recipes nothing
> has come even close to what we had there.

I came late to this thread, but since mustard sauces have a long tradition
here in Pittsburgh, I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Google "Big Daddy's North Carolina Sauce". I make it for crowds; people
love it. I hope it works for you. If you can't find it, PEM me and I'll
forward a copy.

Another potential source, since you're not crazy about cheap yellow mustard,
is any Steve Raichlen barbecue book. He's fond of using Dijon mustard for
sauces. Try Borders or Barnes and Noble, either of them will let you stand
around and read enough to find out whether you want to buy the book.

Heck, you could probably find a good looking recipe and write it down right
in the bookstore.

cliff, from pgh

Clifford Payne

"Lou" > wrote in message

>>Google "Big Daddy's North Carolina Sauce". I make it for crowds; people
>>love it. I hope it works for you. If you can't find it, PEM me and I'll
>>forward a copy.
>>

> Please post it here?

OK! But you have to promise to tell people you bullied the recipe out of
me. Sidebar--I have a buddy that puts this on---spaghetti! Boy needs help!

Here it is:

*Big Daddy's Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce*

1 C prepared yellow mustard
½ C sugar
¼ C light brown sugar
¾ C cider vinegar
¼ C water
2 T chili powder
1 t black pepper
1 t white pepper
¼ t cayenne
½ t soy sauce
2 T butter
1 T liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining
ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Vinegar taste may be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating
overnight is best and allows flavors to blend.

Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
desired

Yum...Thanks