FoodBanter.com

-   -   Jack's real memorial service (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/53569-jacks-real-memorial-service.html)

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate 07-02-2005 09:47 PM

Jack's real memorial service

Sorry if I stepped on toes, particularly with you who hoisted a few,but
I felt that an update from the rememberance service held by Jack's
family and close friends was as newsworthy and as relevant to his
memory as the many " Looks good- slaw or cornbread with that? " type
posts .

I realize we all deal with grief in different ways - those of us who
knew him outside the newsgroups can certainly agree.

bbq 08-02-2005 02:37 AM

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate wrote:

> Sorry if I stepped on toes, particularly with you who hoisted a few,but
> I felt that an update from the rememberance service held by Jack's
> family and close friends was as newsworthy and as relevant to his
> memory as the many " Looks good- slaw or cornbread with that? " type
> posts .
>
> I realize we all deal with grief in different ways - those of us who
> knew him outside the newsgroups can certainly agree.

And I certainly appreciated the update. I think all who cooked and
hoisted in remembrance of Jack, also mentioned something about Jack and
his participation in this group. He was well liked and respected.

BBQ

Pete Romfh 08-02-2005 03:33 AM

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate wrote:
> Sorry if I stepped on toes, particularly with you who
> hoisted a few,but I felt that an update from the
> rememberance service held by Jack's family and close
> friends was as newsworthy and as relevant to his memory
> as the many " Looks good- slaw or cornbread with that? "
> type posts .
>
> I realize we all deal with grief in different ways -
> those of us who knew him outside the newsgroups can
> certainly agree.

Monroe & Miranda,
Please email me directly. I'd like to clarify a few thoughts off-line.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

[email protected] 08-02-2005 06:12 AM

wrote:
> Sorry if I stepped on toes, particularly with you who hoisted a few,but
> I felt that an update from the rememberance service held by Jack's
> family and close friends was as newsworthy and as relevant to his
> memory as the many " Looks good- slaw or cornbread with that? " type
> posts .
>
> I realize we all deal with grief in different ways - those of us who
> knew him outside the newsgroups can certainly agree.

Miranda, your treading was so light, and so heartfelt, that it needs no
apology. I'm just glad that a friend of over 30 years, who knew nothing of
the NGs, and who I hadn't seen in several months, came by that morning. By
the time noon, Left Coast time, drew nigh, he knew what I could tell him of
Jack (and the Hound, for that matter). When it came high noon, he tipped a
Jameson's or six, with me, in Jack's Memory, and the Hound's. I wish I had
gotten to meet Jack in person. Hound, too. My friend, tough old VN War
flyboy, got misty eyed when lookin' at the pics of Jack and the postings of
those who loved him, even if we only knew Jack from here. He left around 2
PM, I continued looking at pics and reading Jack's recipes and these good
folks posts, toasting Jack's memory for another 12 or 14 hours.

You and Monroe are good friends. Your willingness to stay back and 'keep
the home fires burning' while Monroe attended the Service for Jack, is an
exemplary demonstration of what it entails to be a 'BBQ widow'.

I salute you.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Lew/+Silat 11-02-2005 07:59 PM