FoodBanter.com

-   -   freezing homemade bbq sauce. (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/53407-freezing-homemade-bbq-sauce.html)

salchichon 05-02-2005 06:49 PM

freezing homemade bbq sauce.

can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
it in the freezer so it lasts longer?

if not, how would i freeze it?

thanks...

scott

Steve Calvin 05-02-2005 07:05 PM

salchichon wrote:

> can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
> jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
> it in the freezer so it lasts longer?
>
> if not, how would i freeze it?
>
> thanks...
>
> scott

I don't see why not. I freeze mine in tupperware with no problem. the
only concern about freezing something in glass would be that as the
liquid expands while changing from a liquid to a solid it does have
potential under certain conditions to crack or break the glass.

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

Edwin Pawlowski 06-02-2005 12:42 AM

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> salchichon wrote:
>> can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
>> jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
>> it in the freezer so it lasts longer?

> I wouldn't use a glass jar to freeze it in, too much risk of the glass
> breaking. just put the sauce in a good quality freezer zip lock bag.
> Remember, fluid can expand about 25 percent. Leave room for expansion.
>
> --

Ball and Kerr make glass jars for the freezer. They have a wide mouth so
expansion is not a problem. We use the small ones for single serving size
of soups. Glass can break if it is banged by a frozen falling steak though
so be careful where you place it in the freezer. .

salchichon 06-02-2005 01:07 AM

Piedmont wrote:
> salchichon wrote:
> > can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a

mason
> > jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just

put
> > it in the freezer so it lasts longer?
> >
> > if not, how would i freeze it?
> >
> > thanks...
> >
> > scott
> >

> I wouldn't use a glass jar to freeze it in, too much risk of the

glass
> breaking. just put the sauce in a good quality freezer zip lock bag.
> Remember, fluid can expand about 25 percent. Leave room for

expansion.

i like the freezer bag idea. thanks

Piedmont 06-02-2005 01:37 AM

[email protected] 06-02-2005 05:23 AM

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
> > salchichon wrote:
> >> can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
> >> jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
> >> it in the freezer so it lasts longer?

> > I wouldn't use a glass jar to freeze it in, too much risk of the glass
> > breaking. just put the sauce in a good quality freezer zip lock bag.
> > Remember, fluid can expand about 25 percent. Leave room for expansion.
> >
> > --

> Ball and Kerr make glass jars for the freezer. They have a wide mouth so
> expansion is not a problem. We use the small ones for single serving
> size of soups. Glass can break if it is banged by a frozen falling steak
> though so be careful where you place it in the freezer. .

Also, don't fill it all the way and freeze it at an angle so the contents
can slide upwards instead of expanding outwards.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten Thanks ! ! !

Brick 06-02-2005 12:47 PM

On 5-Feb-2005, "salchichon" > wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
> > salchichon wrote:
> > > can you freeze homemade bbq sauce?

<snip>

> i like the freezer bag idea. thanks
> > --
> > Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

I use ziplock bags and often mold them in square tupperware
type containers as they freeze. Then they stack nicely. Reuse
the containers.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

[email protected] 06-02-2005 02:57 PM

wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>>Ball and Kerr make glass jars for the freezer. They have a wide mouth so
>>expansion is not a problem. We use the small ones for single serving
>>size of soups. Glass can break if it is banged by a frozen falling steak
>>though so be careful where you place it in the freezer. .

> Also, don't fill it all the way and freeze it at an angle so the contents
> can slide upwards instead of expanding outwards.

Or, freeze with the lid off for a day or so- put the lid on after it's
frozen solid.

Brick 06-02-2005 11:18 PM

On 5-Feb-2005, "salchichon" > wrote:

> can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
> jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
> it in the freezer so it lasts longer?
>
> if not, how would i freeze it?
>
> thanks...
>
> scott

That's an ideal candidate for canning. There's plenty of info available on
how to can. (Joy of cooking, etc.) It's a cheap way to go and doesn't
consume freezer space.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

jeff bennett 07-02-2005 02:29 AM

Brick wrote:
> On 5-Feb-2005, "salchichon" > wrote:
>

>>can you freeze homemade bbq sauce? i make mine then put it in a mason
>>jar in the frdge. however, can i use that same mason jar and just put
>>it in the freezer so it lasts longer?
>>
>>if not, how would i freeze it?
>>
>>thanks...
>>
>>scott

> That's an ideal candidate for canning. There's plenty of info available on
> how to can. (Joy of cooking, etc.) It's a cheap way to go and doesn't
> consume freezer space.
>
> Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

I freeze mine ok. Use canning jars and it seems to work
ok. Just be careful when defrosting!!