Piedmont

Default A repost of Jack Curry pastrami

Jack Curry's Pastrami

Graeme...in London >
I'm going to try to replicate Jack Curry's pastrami recipe that he
posted on
abf a few months ago but I have a few questions. This is not a cheap
cut of
beef in the UK (about 6 dollars per pound) so I don't want to screw up.

Jack Curry said..
"At last, a pastrami that's damned good, made from a brisket flat. No
more
pricy corned beef for moi.
Here's how:
1 cup Morton Tenderquick
4 cups of water
1-2 cups of ice to bring the water temp down
2 TBS pickling spice
6-8 cloves of mashed up garlic
Mix all above until it's in solution, then soak a 10-11 lb brisket flat
in
it, in the fridge for 72 hours, stirring or flipping the brisket
occasionally."
Question 1
I will get my butcher to cut the brisket from the carcass. How much fat

should I get him to leave on?
"Remove the brisket, wash the spices and stuff off, then soak it
fresh,
cold
water, in a food-grade bucket (get one in the bakery department of your

grocery store for free - they get fudge icing in them) for 2-3 days,
changing the water at least 3 times."
Question 2
At this stage, does it still need to be refridgerated. One of those
catering
buckets won't fit in my fridge. Is 3 days at room temperature OK?
"Remove, pat dry, sprinkle liberally with a mix of 2/3 cracked
coriander
seeds, 1/3 cracked black pepper and a couple of TBS of garlic powder.
Cook at 250=E3=83=BC in some oak smoke for about 11 hours, until it passes
the fork
test."
Question 3
Oak wood for the full cook or just the 1st few hours and cook it fat
side
up?
"Jack Curry
-not salty this time ;0)-"
Graeme
Jack Curry's Pastrami

Jack Curry >
"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> I'm going to try to replicate Jack Curry's pastrami recipe that he

posted
on
> abf a few months ago but I have a few questions. This is not a cheap

cut
of
> beef in the UK (about 6 dollars per pound) so I don't want to screw

up.
> Jack Curry said..
> "At last, a pastrami that's damned good, made from a brisket flat.

No
more
> pricy corned beef for moi.
> Here's how:
> 1 cup Morton Tenderquick
> 4 cups of water
> 1-2 cups of ice to bring the water temp down
> 2 TBS pickling spice
> 6-8 cloves of mashed up garlic
> Mix all above until it's in solution, then soak a 10-11 lb brisket

flat in
> it, in the fridge for 72 hours, stirring or flipping the brisket
> occasionally."
> Question 1
> I will get my butcher to cut the brisket from the carcass. How much

fat
> should I get him to leave on?

If you're paying for fat at brisket prices, I'd have him leave no more
than
1/2" fat cap on. When briskets are cheap, I like to have plenty of fat
for
the cook and take it off after the meat is done, which makes for a nice

juicy finished product. Make sure you have enough of the cure mix to
cover
the meat, following the proportions above as necessary.
> "Remove the brisket, wash the spices and stuff off, then soak it

fresh,
> cold
> water, in a food-grade bucket (get one in the bakery department of

your
> grocery store for free - they get fudge icing in them) for 2-3 days,
> changing the water at least 3 times."
> Question 2
> At this stage, does it still need to be refrigerated. One of those

catering
> buckets won't fit in my fridge. Is 3 days at room temperature OK?

According to Morton, after corning the meat is fully cured and can be
left
without refrigeration, but I'm kinda cautious about doing that. If it
won't
fit in your fridge, put the meat/bucket in a cooler or whatever with
ice
around it. Add ice as necessary and you won't have to worry about it.
Just
don't let it get warm and it should be fine.
Make sure you change the water at least 3 times. The only mistakes
I've
ever made doing this is to not remove enough salt by soaking it out and
by
undercooking, producing a very chewy pastrami.
> "Remove, pat dry, sprinkle liberally with a mix of 2/3 cracked

coriander
> seeds, 1/3 cracked black pepper and a couple of TBS of garlic powder.

> Cook at 250=E3=83=BC in some oak smoke for about 11 hours, until it passes

the fork
> test."
> Question 3
> Oak wood for the full cook or just the 1st few hours and cook it fat

side
> up?

First few hours of smoke (oak, hickory or pecan) will do the job and
fat
down if cooking direct, fat up if indirect. When it reaches 185
internal,
start fork testing. It isn't done until the fork goes in pretty
easily...unless you want to slice it very thin. I prefer it
brisket-done,
which doesn't slice thin very well as it falls apart, but that's a
matter of
preference.
Good luck Graeme and post some pix on abf.
Jack Curry=20

~

Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Graeme...in London

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Jack Curry's Pastrami

<snippage galore>

Good luck Graeme and post some pix on abf.
Jack Curry

Mike, JC was the creator, and not for the 1st time, I simply followed his
guidance. Luck was never in the equation. I'll be pulling a wee bit out of
the freezer for Saturdays commemorative session.

I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up, and I for one
will try to make it a day to remember.

Graeme

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

Speak English.

Graeme...in London

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>
> >I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

> Speak English.

Are you taking the ****?

Graeme

Dana H. Myers

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>

>>I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

> Speak English.

He's clearly using an English (rather than American)
colloquial expression, so one could argue he's
speaking English already.

I must say, the first few months I lived in the UK,
it was hard work to understand what anyone was saying,
especially after a few pints at the local pub.

;-)

Dana

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:58:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

>> Speak English.
>>

>Are you taking the ****?

There you go again.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:01:29 -0800, "Dana H. Myers"
> wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

>> Speak English.

>He's clearly using an English (rather than American)
>colloquial expression, so one could argue he's
>speaking English already.

You're right. I should have said, "Speak proper English."

>I must say, the first few months I lived in the UK,
>it was hard work to understand what anyone was saying,
>especially after a few pints at the local pub.

So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

kilikini

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:01:29 -0800, "Dana H. Myers"
> > wrote:
>
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"

>>> Speak English.

>> He's clearly using an English (rather than American)
>> colloquial expression, so one could argue he's
>> speaking English already.

> You're right. I should have said, "Speak proper English."
>>
>> I must say, the first few months I lived in the UK,
>> it was hard work to understand what anyone was saying,
>> especially after a few pints at the local pub.
>>

> So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

I looked it up in an on-line dictionary:

Knees Up = lively party with dancing.

That's a new one on me!

kili

Dana H. Myers

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

It's a party, but don't take my word for it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/le...rnitv167.shtml

:-)

Dana
Graeme...in London

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

Kevin, in my own words, its the exact opposite to a wake (watch beside
corpse before burial).

"Knees-up mother Brown"...sorry, I thought that was a universal nursery
rhyme!

Graeme

kilikini

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>

>> So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

> Kevin, in my own words, its the exact opposite to a wake (watch beside
> corpse before burial).
>
> "Knees-up mother Brown"...sorry, I thought that was a universal
> nursery rhyme!
>
> Graeme

Graeme, I'd never heard of it until today when I looked up the phrase
Knees-Up.

kili

Matthew L. Martin

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>

>>So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

> Kevin, in my own words, its the exact opposite to a wake (watch beside
> corpse before burial).
>
> "Knees-up mother Brown"...sorry, I thought that was a universal nursery
> rhyme!

Does Mother Brown refer to Mrs. Brown(AKA Queen Victoria)?

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Duwop

> Graeme...in London wrote:
> > "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> >>So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

> > Kevin, in my own words, its the exact opposite to a wake (watch beside
> > corpse before burial).
> >
> > "Knees-up mother Brown"...sorry, I thought that was a universal nursery
> > rhyme!

Me and my dirty mind.

I thought it was that, or the position of a fallen down drunk.

Dale

"kilikini" > wrote:
> []
> Knees Up = lively party with dancing.
>
> That's a new one on me!

What a dream. To be Knees Up with kili

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten Thanks ! ! !
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:55 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:
>
>>I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

>Speak English.

I thought he had been . . . . .

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:10:01 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:01:29 -0800, "Dana H. Myers"
>> > wrote:

>>> He's clearly using an English (rather than American)
>>> colloquial expression, so one could argue he's
>>> speaking English already.

>> You're right. I should have said, "Speak proper English."
>>>
>>> I must say, the first few months I lived in the UK,
>>> it was hard work to understand what anyone was saying,
>>> especially after a few pints at the local pub.
>>>

>> So what's a "knees-up"? Graeme won't tell me.

>I looked it up in an on-line dictionary:
>
>Knees Up = lively party with dancing.
>
>That's a new one on me!
>
>kili

Think of the old panty song "Knees up Mother Brown, Knees up Mother
Brown . . . . " .

Harry

PS 'panty' = 'pantomime' [theatre]
simply me

Piedmont,

A few questions,

Will this recipe work with wild deer meat?
(Venison) i know that venison is a leaner meat than beef or pork but i
would still like to try it,if it would work ok.i sure would hate to mess
up a nice piece of deer meat.

What part of a deer would you use,or whats the best part to use,i was
thinking of using a hindquarters or a front shoulder as i have quite a
few of them in the freezer.

Would the same rules apply to venison as beef? as in soaking,cooking
time & temp?
i'm planing on using pecan or pear wood.

Thanks
Willie

Michael

"simply me" > wrote in message

> Piedmont,
>
> A few questions,
>
> Will this recipe work with wild deer meat?
> (Venison) i know that venison is a leaner meat than beef or pork but i
> would still like to try it,if it would work ok.i sure would hate to mess
> up a nice piece of deer meat.
>
> What part of a deer would you use,or whats the best part to use,i was
> thinking of using a hindquarters or a front shoulder as i have quite a
> few of them in the freezer.
>
> Would the same rules apply to venison as beef? as in soaking,cooking
> time & temp?
> i'm planing on using pecan or pear wood.

Just my 2 cents but I would lard the shoulder and lay on a layer of blanched
bacon over the top.

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:31:45 GMT, "Michael"
> wrote:

>"simply me" > wrote in message
>>
>> Piedmont,
>>
>> A few questions,
>>
>> Will this recipe work with wild deer meat?

>Just my 2 cents but I would lard the shoulder and lay on a layer of blanched
>bacon over the top.

Why 'blanched' please?
Harry

Piedmont

simply me wrote:
> Piedmont,
>
> A few questions,
>
> Will this recipe work with wild deer meat?
> (Venison) i know that venison is a leaner meat than beef or pork but i
> would still like to try it,if it would work ok.i sure would hate to mess
> up a nice piece of deer meat.
>
> What part of a deer would you use,or whats the best part to use,i was
> thinking of using a hindquarters or a front shoulder as i have quite a
> few of them in the freezer.
>
> Would the same rules apply to venison as beef? as in soaking,cooking
> time & temp?
> i'm planing on using pecan or pear wood.
>
> Thanks
> Willie

I have no experience with Deer. I would suggst that you pick a small cut
that you can afford to ruin. 1-2 LB. As the meat is brined it will take
in extra moisture. Plus you could also, as discussed before, lard the
deer meat. Since brisket is extremly fatty and wild deer is not, you
could end up with a product not like regular pastrami.

Here is a repost about corned beef and pastrami...Posted By Chuch who's
now sitting back with Jack, sip'in an a Q'in!

Posted By: Cuchulain Libby, Jun 15, 2000
Corned Beef and Pastrami
By: Gary Wiviott

Here's some stuff to keep ya off the streets:]

-C
[post recent e-mail]

From: Gary Wiviott >

(Editor Snipped)

How do I make my own corned beef?

For best results, use trimmed briskets.

Start with a curing brine. This recipe comes from [3] and makes enough
for 25 lbs of meat.

5 quarts ice water (about 38-40F)
8 oz. salt
3 oz. Prague Powder #1
3 oz. powdered dextrose

Spray pump the briskets to about 12-15% of their original weight. After
pumping, the briskets are packed in a vat, and sprinkled with whole
pickling spice. If more than one brisket is done at a time, pack them
flesh to flesh with the fat sides out. Add enough brine to cover and
allow to cure for 3-4 days at 38-40F. The meat is then ready to use (but
still requires cooking).

What is pastrami and how do I make my own?

For best results, use trimmed briskets.

Start with a curing brine. This recipe comes from [3] and makes enough
for 25 lbs of meat.

5 quarts ice water (about 38-40F)
8 oz. salt
5 oz. Prague Powder #1
5 oz. powdered dextrose
1 Tb garlic juice

Prepare and cure as for corned beef. After curing, remove from brine and
rub liberally with cracked black pepper and coriander seeds.

Smoke at 140F until the meat is dry and then increase smoker temperature to
200-220F and hold until internal temperature of meat reaches 170-180F.

Chill overnight before using. This meat is fully cooked.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Kent

Kevie!! We thought you'd died, or received a divorce lawsuit, or you were
interned at the local sanitarium, or you're in jail for poisoning, or maybe
you just set the whole place on fire.
Well, here you are, shooting your mouth and anus off simultaneously.
Godamn it God, what did we do to get this punishment?

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>
>>I think Jack would want us to all have a right good knees-up

> Speak English.

simply me

Thanks for the info

BOB

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:55 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I think Jack would want us to all have a right good
>>> knees-up

>> Speak English.

> I thought he had been . . . . .
>
> Harry

Isn't this the same Kevin who complained about frohe's typing using his
Texas dialect and also told frohe to "Speak English"?

BOB

Steve Calvin

BOB wrote:

> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:55 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson
> wrote:

>>>Speak English.

>>I thought he had been . . . . .
>>
>>Harry

> Isn't this the same Kevin who complained about frohe's typing using his
> Texas dialect and also told frohe to "Speak English"?
>
> BOB

Well, thanks to me, after years, finally giving in and using a KF I've
been spared most of the crud but do to replies ran across this one.

What am I missing? Graeme is in England so my guess is that he *is*
speaking *true* English. It's the rest of us that "*******ize" it but
still call it English.

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:35:41 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>Well, here you are, shooting your mouth and anus off simultaneously.

See a mental-health professional about that coprophilia. Soon.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:13:06 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:55 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000, "Graeme...in London"

>>> Speak English.

>> I thought he had been . . . . .
>>
>> Harry

>Isn't this the same Kevin who complained about frohe's typing using his
>Texas dialect and also told frohe to "Speak English"?

Truly humor impaired, aren't you?

Graeme got the joke. I'm not surprised that you didn't. Would you like
someone to explain it for you?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:21:00 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>What am I missing? Graeme is in England so my guess is that he *is*
>speaking *true* English. It's the rest of us that "*******ize" it but
>still call it English.

Explain the joke to Bob, now. He seems quite confused.

Brad Houser

"Bubbabob" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote:
>

> > "Knees-up mother Brown"...sorry, I thought that was a universal nursery
> > rhyme!
> >
> > Graeme
> >

> Perhaps, but not from MY universe.

Just by coincidence I was watching the Mary Poppins DVD Friday (the first
one, not the 40th anniversary one) and during the 'making of' featurette,
one of the people responsible for the "Step in Time" dance number (chimney
sweeps on the rooftops) said it was a "Knees-Up Mother Brown" dance. Now I
get it.

Obligatory a.f.b comment: I smoked my first chickens in the ECB Saturday.
HMMMM.

Brad Houser

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:13:06 -0500, " BOB" >
> wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:55 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson

>>> I thought he had been . . . . .
>>>
>>> Harry

>> Isn't this the same Kevin who complained about frohe's
>> typing using his Texas dialect and also told frohe to
>> "Speak English"?
>>

> Truly humor impaired, aren't you?
>
> Graeme got the joke. I'm not surprised that you didn't.
> Would you like someone to explain it for you?

No. I got "the joke". It seems that, in your little world, it's a joke
if you think it is. If you don't find it humorous, you call it a troll or
your other buzz-word-of-the-day. Thanks for playing, though. Have a nice
life op there in the small world of potatoes and narrow minded bozos.

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:46:49 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:13:06 -0500, " BOB" >
>> wrote:

>>> Isn't this the same Kevin who complained about frohe's
>>> typing using his Texas dialect and also told frohe to
>>> "Speak English"?
>>>

>> Truly humor impaired, aren't you?
>>
>> Graeme got the joke. I'm not surprised that you didn't.
>> Would you like someone to explain it for you?

>No. I got "the joke". It seems that, in your little world, it's a joke
>if you think it is.

Make up your mind, Sparky. It's either a joke or it's not. You
shouldn't be embarassed because you didn't get it. Niether did you
intellectual equal CAL.

>If you don't find it humorous, you call it a troll or
>your other buzz-word-of-the-day.

Is today "Use Only Words that Bob Understands Day"?

Okay. I r hungry. Me cook food.

Better?

>Thanks for playing, though. Have a nice
>life op there in the small world of potatoes and narrow minded bozos.

<snicker>

And thus he demonstrates his provincialism.

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:46:49 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

> >No. I got "the joke". It seems that, in your little world, it's a joke
> >if you think it is.

> Make up your mind, Sparky. It's either a joke or it's not. You
> shouldn't be embarassed because you didn't get it. Niether did you
> intellectual equal CAL.

'Niether' do you.

-CAL
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:57:22 GMT, cl > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:46:49 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>> >No. I got "the joke". It seems that, in your little world, it's a joke
>> >if you think it is.

>> Make up your mind, Sparky. It's either a joke or it's not. You
>> shouldn't be embarassed because you didn't get it. Niether did you
>> intellectual equal CAL.

>'Niether' do you.

A spelling lame? That the best you got?

PS: In your eagerness to hump my leg with a truly pathetic spelling
lame, you once again ignore the illogic of what you are saying. If I
made the joke, then I must also get the joke. But you're too eager to
hump my leg to see how that must be true.