Daniel

Default Rotisserie

I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from time to
time.
Considering that:
1 - I am French.
2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of
French lessons.
With all due respect.

A - meaning:
If I got the point, you mean there the cooking method that consists of:
- Getting a piece of meat of your choice, marinated or not.
- Stucking across it a piece of metal called "broche" in French and "spit"
in English (Not brooch!)
- Expose that meat to an open source of heat, gas, charcoal, wood, whatever.
- Turn around slowly the spit to expose all the meat to the heat source till
cooked to your convenience.
- Maybe, during cooking, baste the meat with some liquid sauce.
If this is correct, read on. Otherwise, please let me know.

B - wording:

ROTISSERIE: The shop, kitchen, restaurant where someone is roasting meat as
described above and is selling it to whomesover wants to buy it.

ROTISSOI The instrument used to roast as described above.

ROTISSEUR: The cook or the shop owner cooking as described above (Hence, the
"Chaine des Rotisseurs", must be known in the US, please tell me)

ROTIR: Verb, act of cooking as described above.

Now, a small old frog's joke about that, just to let you practice a bit:

A beggar, having only a piece of bread as a lunch, went nearby a Rotisserie
and exposed his piece of bread to the smokes and smells of a Rottissoire,
trying to give it some better taste.

The Rotisseur complained to the police that the beggar was stealing him, and
everybody went to the court.

Judge decision:
As the beggar had stolen smells and smokes from the Rotissoire, he will have
to pay a fine to the Rotisseur by letting him hear the sound of his money
(Just figure out the beggar having few coins in hand and agitating it so the
the Rotisseur can hear the money clincking).

Cheers
Daniel

Pete Romfh

Daniel wrote:
> I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is
> used from time to time.
> Considering that:
> 1 - I am French.
> 2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of
> Grilling/BBQ/Smoking, I feel compelled to provide you
> all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of French lessons.
> With all due respect.
>
> A - meaning:
> If I got the point, you mean there the cooking method
> that consists of: - Getting a piece of meat of your
> choice, marinated or not. - Stucking across it a piece of
> metal called "broche" in French and "spit" in English
> (Not brooch!) - Expose that meat to an open source of
> heat, gas, charcoal, wood, whatever. - Turn around slowly
> the spit to expose all the meat to the heat source till
> cooked to your convenience. - Maybe, during cooking,
> baste the meat with some liquid sauce. If this is
> correct, read on. Otherwise, please let me know.
>
> B - wording:
>
> ROTISSERIE: The shop, kitchen, restaurant where someone
> is roasting meat as described above and is selling it to
> whomesover wants to buy it.
>
> ROTISSOI The instrument used to roast as described
> above.
>
> ROTISSEUR: The cook or the shop owner cooking as
> described above (Hence, the "Chaine des Rotisseurs", must
> be known in the US, please tell me)
>
> ROTIR: Verb, act of cooking as described above.
>
> Now, a small old frog's joke about that, just to let you
> practice a bit:
>
> A beggar, having only a piece of bread as a lunch, went
> nearby a Rotisserie and exposed his piece of bread to the
> smokes and smells of a Rottissoire, trying to give it
> some better taste.
>
> The Rotisseur complained to the police that the beggar
> was stealing him, and everybody went to the court.
>
> Judge decision:
> As the beggar had stolen smells and smokes from the
> Rotissoire, he will have to pay a fine to the Rotisseur
> by letting him hear the sound of his money (Just figure
> out the beggar having few coins in hand and agitating it
> so the the Rotisseur can hear the money clincking).
>
> Cheers
> Daniel

I never understood the difference. I guess I've been using the wrong word
all my life, and probably pronouncing it incorrectly as well.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Daniel

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Daniel wrote:
> > I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is
> > used from time to time.
> > Considering that:
> > 1 - I am French.
> > 2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of
> > Grilling/BBQ/Smoking, I feel compelled to provide you
> > all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of French lessons.
> > With all due respect.
> >
> > A - meaning:
> > If I got the point, you mean there the cooking method
> > that consists of: - Getting a piece of meat of your
> > choice, marinated or not. - Stucking across it a piece of
> > metal called "broche" in French and "spit" in English
> > (Not brooch!) - Expose that meat to an open source of
> > heat, gas, charcoal, wood, whatever. - Turn around slowly
> > the spit to expose all the meat to the heat source till
> > cooked to your convenience. - Maybe, during cooking,
> > baste the meat with some liquid sauce. If this is
> > correct, read on. Otherwise, please let me know.
> >
> > B - wording:
> >
> > ROTISSERIE: The shop, kitchen, restaurant where someone
> > is roasting meat as described above and is selling it to
> > whomesover wants to buy it.
> >
> > ROTISSOI The instrument used to roast as described
> > above.
> >
> > ROTISSEUR: The cook or the shop owner cooking as
> > described above (Hence, the "Chaine des Rotisseurs", must
> > be known in the US, please tell me)
> >
> > ROTIR: Verb, act of cooking as described above.
> >
> > Now, a small old frog's joke about that, just to let you
> > practice a bit:
> >
> > A beggar, having only a piece of bread as a lunch, went
> > nearby a Rotisserie and exposed his piece of bread to the
> > smokes and smells of a Rottissoire, trying to give it
> > some better taste.
> >
> > The Rotisseur complained to the police that the beggar
> > was stealing him, and everybody went to the court.
> >
> > Judge decision:
> > As the beggar had stolen smells and smokes from the
> > Rotissoire, he will have to pay a fine to the Rotisseur
> > by letting him hear the sound of his money (Just figure
> > out the beggar having few coins in hand and agitating it
> > so the the Rotisseur can hear the money clincking).
> >
> > Cheers
> > Daniel

> I never understood the difference. I guess I've been using the wrong word
> all my life, and probably pronouncing it incorrectly as well.

If you are cooking as described above, you are using a ROTISSOIRE
With English pronounciation: ROTISAUR
Cheers
Daniel

Jack Curry

> If you are cooking as described above, you are using a ROTISSOIRE
> With English pronounciation: ROTISAUR
> Cheers
> Daniel

A ROTISAUR is an extinct lizard from Jamaica.

Jack Curry
-No, not really Daniel-

Daniel

"Moro Grubb of Little Delving" > wrote in
message news:%PfId.138533$6l.117587@pd7tw2no...

> "Daniel" > wrote in message
> > I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from time

> > time.
> > Considering that:
> > 1 - I am French.
> > 2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of

> Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
> > I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of
> > French lessons.
> > With all due respect.

> Daniel,
>
> You seem like a nice person. I will therefore, free of charge, give you

some
> unsolicited advice...
>
> If you aspire to teach North Americans to use French words correctly, then
> you are heading for a long and thankless task. Better to join a monastery,
> search for King Solomon's mines, or invent perpetual motion.
>
> Heck, they can't even spell English words correctly! ;-)
> /M
> M Grubb of Little Delving, Esq.
> "You only get to choose what you read, not what I write"

LOL, thanks for the advise but I know in advance that I will be back on
those topics under any excuse, I can't refrain...

Concerning the extinct lizard ROTISAUR, I should have written ROTISSWARE,
better outcome from a pronunciation point of view.

But expect IT related jokes to come here about ROTISSWARE.
1st one:
SMOKEWA A software that adds thick smoke to the firewall in order to
poison the spammers trying to penetrate it.
Cheers
Daniel

Louis Cohen

Jack Curry wrote:
>>If you are cooking as described above, you are using a ROTISSOIRE
>>With English pronounciation: ROTISAUR
>>Cheers
>>Daniel
>>

> A ROTISAUR is an extinct lizard from Jamaica.
>
> Jack Curry
> -No, not really Daniel-

ROTFL, mon!

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
Louis Cohen

Daniel wrote:
> I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from time to
> time.
> Considering that:
> 1 - I am French.
> 2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
> I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of
> French lessons.
> With all due respect.
>
> A - meaning:
> If I got the point, you mean there the cooking method that consists of:
> - Getting a piece of meat of your choice, marinated or not.
> - Stucking across it a piece of metal called "broche" in French and "spit"
> in English (Not brooch!)
> - Expose that meat to an open source of heat, gas, charcoal, wood, whatever.
> - Turn around slowly the spit to expose all the meat to the heat source till
> cooked to your convenience.
> - Maybe, during cooking, baste the meat with some liquid sauce.
> If this is correct, read on. Otherwise, please let me know.
>
> B - wording:
>
> ROTISSERIE: The shop, kitchen, restaurant where someone is roasting meat as
> described above and is selling it to whomesover wants to buy it.
>
> ROTISSOI The instrument used to roast as described above.
>
> ROTISSEUR: The cook or the shop owner cooking as described above (Hence, the
> "Chaine des Rotisseurs", must be known in the US, please tell me)
>
> ROTIR: Verb, act of cooking as described above.
>
> Now, a small old frog's joke about that, just to let you practice a bit:
>
> A beggar, having only a piece of bread as a lunch, went nearby a Rotisserie
> and exposed his piece of bread to the smokes and smells of a Rottissoire,
> trying to give it some better taste.
>
> The Rotisseur complained to the police that the beggar was stealing him, and
> everybody went to the court.
>
> Judge decision:
> As the beggar had stolen smells and smokes from the Rotissoire, he will have
> to pay a fine to the Rotisseur by letting him hear the sound of his money
> (Just figure out the beggar having few coins in hand and agitating it so the
> the Rotisseur can hear the money clincking).
>
> Cheers
> Daniel

In Mexico, if you see a sign that says "Pollo Rostizado a la Leña" you
are in for a nice meal of chicken spun above a wood fire.

"Daniel" > wrote:
> "Moro Grubb of Little Delving" > wrote in
> > "Daniel" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from
> > > time

> > > time.
> > > Considering that:
> > > 1 - I am French.
> > > 2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of

> > Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
> > > I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit
> > > of French lessons.
> > >

> > You seem like a nice person. I will therefore, free of charge, give you

> some
> > unsolicited advice...
> >
> > If you aspire to teach North Americans to use French words correctly,
> > then you are heading for a long and thankless task. Better to join a
> > monastery, search for King Solomon's mines, or invent perpetual motion.
> >
> > Heck, they can't even spell English words correctly! ;-)
> > /M
> > M Grubb of Little Delving, Esq.
> > "You only get to choose what you read, not what I write"

> LOL, thanks for the advise but I know in advance that I will be back on
> those topics under any excuse, I can't refrain...
>
> Concerning the extinct lizard ROTISAUR, I should have written ROTISSWARE,
> better outcome from a pronunciation point of view.
>
> But expect IT related jokes to come here about ROTISSWARE.
> 1st one:
> SMOKEWA A software that adds thick smoke to the firewall in order to
> poison the spammers trying to penetrate it.

I thought it was Repenomamus Robustus?

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/
For info on a free (you pay only postage) herbal AIDS remedy, write to:
OSIRIS

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:06:56 +0700, "Daniel" >
wrote:

>B - wording:
>
>ROTISSERIE: The shop, kitchen, restaurant where someone is roasting meat as
>described above and is selling it to whomesover wants to buy it.
>
>ROTISSOI The instrument used to roast as described above.
>
>ROTISSEUR: The cook or the shop owner cooking as described above (Hence, the
>"Chaine des Rotisseurs", must be known in the US, please tell me)
>
>ROTIR: Verb, act of cooking as described above.

Well said, mon ami.

It is not unusual, however, for one language to misappropriate the small details
of another language's inventions.

As long as the ROTISSEUR can produce good food on the ROTISSOIRE, I'll forget
the semantics and put on a bib.

>Cheers
>Daniel

Merci, et Bon Apetit

ToLo

Moro Grubb of Little Delving said on 1/21/2005 5:00 PM:
> "Daniel" > wrote in message
>
>>I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from time

>>time.
>>Considering that:
>>1 - I am French.
>>2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of

> Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
>
>>I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of
>>French lessons.
>>With all due respect.

> Daniel,
>
> You seem like a nice person. I will therefore, free of charge, give you some
> unsolicited advice...
>
> If you aspire to teach North Americans to use French words correctly, then
> you are heading for a long and thankless task. Better to join a monastery,
> search for King Solomon's mines, or invent perpetual motion.
>
> Heck, they can't even spell English words correctly! ;-)
>
> /M

Why bother? In a few short years, we will all be speaking Spanish here
in the States anyway!

Some of the best ribs that I've ever tasted were small lamb ribs basted
and barbecued by my French grandfather. Never did get the recipe.

Daniel

"ToLo" > wrote in message
> Moro Grubb of Little Delving said on 1/21/2005 5:00 PM:
> > "Daniel" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I noticed in this NG that the French word "Rotisserie" is used from time

> >>time.
> >>Considering that:
> >>1 - I am French.
> >>2 - I am doing my best to adapt to the US meanings of

> > Grilling/BBQ/Smoking,
> >
> >>I feel compelled to provide you all, ladies and gentlemen, with a bit of
> >>French lessons.
> >>With all due respect.

> > Daniel,
> >
> > You seem like a nice person. I will therefore, free of charge, give you

some
> > unsolicited advice...
> >
> > If you aspire to teach North Americans to use French words correctly,

then
> > you are heading for a long and thankless task. Better to join a

monastery,
> > search for King Solomon's mines, or invent perpetual motion.
> >
> > Heck, they can't even spell English words correctly! ;-)
> >
> > /M
> >

> Why bother? In a few short years, we will all be speaking Spanish here
> in the States anyway!
>
> Some of the best ribs that I've ever tasted were small lamb ribs basted
> and barbecued by my French grandfather. Never did get the recipe.

Your French grandfather!
I feel that it is my Frog's duty to dig hard and post here all the French
recipes re. small lam ribs I will find.
Are you sure h was BBQing? or grilling? Most of the French are only
grilling.
Cheers
Daniel

ToLo

Daniel said on 1/24/2005 12:18 AM:
> "ToLo" > wrote in message
>

>>Some of the best ribs that I've ever tasted were small lamb ribs basted
>>and barbecued by my French grandfather. Never did get the recipe.

> Your French grandfather!
> I feel that it is my Frog's duty to dig hard and post here all the French
> recipes re. small lam ribs I will find.
> Are you sure h was BBQing? or grilling? Most of the French are only
> grilling.
> Cheers
> Daniel

He was French but the barbecuing took place here in Texas where he was
visiting us. The ribs were added to the smoker where brisket and other
goodies were cooking slowly. Don't know how long they stayed in the pit
but they came out great. I wasn't cooking so didn't watch the process.

Rotisserie rib eye Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 0 21-06-2015 01:07 PM
New rotisserie biig General Cooking 8 17-05-2008 06:34 AM
Trying out a new rotisserie hahabogus General Cooking 4 08-03-2008 12:27 AM
Using a rotisserie tds Barbecue 5 12-05-2004 11:13 PM
Rotisserie Aria Barbecue 3 05-10-2003 05:58 PM