Michael

Default Hey NorCal Raley's has spares.....

.....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm of the
year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll bake some
just to remind me of summer.

Michael

Piedmont

Michael wrote:
> .....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm of the
> year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll bake some
> just to remind me of summer.
>
> Michael

Hey Mike;
Where you at?
--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Oxfam GB is a development, relief, and campaigning organization that
works with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
around the world.
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm

Throughout the world, Operation Smile volunteers repair childhood facial
deformities while building public and private partnerships that advocate
for sustainable healthcare systems for children and families. Together,
we create smiles, change lives, heal humanity.
http://www.operationsmile.org/

bbq

Michael wrote:
> ....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm of the
> year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll bake some
> just to remind me of summer.
>
> Michael

Don't think baked spares will remind you of summer. The thought of
spares maybe, but not the taste of them.

buck nintey-nine, not a great deal around here. I can always get them
for a buck forty eight. On sale, less than a buck.

The weather kept me from Q'en a brisket today. I have it rubbed now and
in the fridge. Cooking it tomorrow, regardless of weather. Hope I can Q
it, but if I have to roast it, I will. Cost too much to let it spoil.

BBQ
Duwop

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
> > ....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm of

the
> > year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll bake

some
> > just to remind me of summer.

Michael, there are some decent ways to make faux bbq indoors. No let up of
the rain forcasted in the forseeable future, so if you gotta get a fix for
that jones. Why the hell not?
Or you could do a recipe I've been interested in trying but I've never seen
directions for or a recipe. Some of the guys here have mentioned ribs in
sauerkraut. Sounds pretty good. Maybe someone has directions?

> buck nintey-nine, not a great deal around here. I can always get them
> for a buck forty eight. On sale, less than a buck.

Damn, here in the SFBA it's seldom less than $3/lb.. One of those chi-chi
high end supermarkets opened nearby last month (Whole Foods), checked out
their meat dept. and noticed a pork picnic, wondering what they wanted for
it I peeked closer............................................ ............

$4.99lb.!!!!! There were a couple of guys behind the counter so I remarked
on the price, he proudly explained that their pork is "all natural and
organic" and some other mumbo jumbo to which I replied it's still a scrap
cut fit for little but bbq and it's at least 30% fat and water, pricing a
scrap cut like this is similar to trying to sell high priced "prime" flank
steak or stew meat (yeah, I know the carcass is all prime). He had the good
manners or sense to look a bit chagrined and shrug. Next time I'll look to
see if they've priced it a bit more reasonably, I expect not. Can you
imagine paying $50 for a freakin pork butt?

Jack Curry

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Or you could do a recipe I've been interested in trying but I've never

seen
> directions for or a recipe. Some of the guys here have mentioned ribs in
> sauerkraut. Sounds pretty good. Maybe someone has directions?

My woman has been doing them for decades and they're simply awesome as well
as really easy.

In a large pyrex baking dish she fills one side (half the dish) with
sauerkraut and the other half with canned blackeyed peas. On top go
boneless country ribs (or any ribs will do), salted and peppered. Cover
tightly with foil then bake at 325 for two hours or so. It's very forgiving
so time/temp aren't critical.

An all time family favorite.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Or you could do a recipe I've been interested in trying but I've never

seen
> directions for or a recipe. Some of the guys here have mentioned ribs in
> sauerkraut. Sounds pretty good. Maybe someone has directions?

My woman has been doing them for decades and they're simply awesome as well
as really easy.

In a large pyrex baking dish she fills one side (half the dish) with
sauerkraut and the other half with canned blackeyed peas. On top go
boneless country ribs (or any ribs will do), salted and peppered. Cover
tightly with foil then bake at 325 for two hours or so. It's very forgiving
so time/temp aren't critical.

An all time family favorite.

Jack Curry

Duwop

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> That method (except for the peas) goes well with a "normal" pork roast
> too. The roast shouldn't be falling apart but you should be able to
> separate it with a fork (at least the way I was brought up) Served with
> mashed potatoes and applesauce. It's german tradition that if you have
> that on New Years day (which we did) that it will bring you luck for the
> ensuing year. Now the luck thing is dubious at best but it's some good
> eatin'.
>
> --

Damn, this is why I like this group. I lived a while next to Bernhausen in
Germany, which is to German sauerkraut what Gilroy is to US garlic. Learned
what good kraut is there, sure isnt that pickled stuff. Anyway, they serve
the kraut over the mashed potatoes, makes a fine tasty mess. You serve it
that way too?

Steve Calvin

Duwop wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>That method (except for the peas) goes well with a "normal" pork roast
>>too. The roast shouldn't be falling apart but you should be able to
>>separate it with a fork (at least the way I was brought up) Served with
>>mashed potatoes and applesauce. It's german tradition that if you have
>>that on New Years day (which we did) that it will bring you luck for the
>>ensuing year. Now the luck thing is dubious at best but it's some good
>>eatin'.
>>
>>--

> Damn, this is why I like this group. I lived a while next to Bernhausen in
> Germany, which is to German sauerkraut what Gilroy is to US garlic. Learned
> what good kraut is there, sure isnt that pickled stuff. Anyway, they serve
> the kraut over the mashed potatoes, makes a fine tasty mess. You serve it
> that way too?

I kinda leave that up to each person. However they want it, I don't
care. As for the 'kraut, I agree. Most of the store stuff is crap. When
I lived in NW PA we made 50 gallons every fall. That lasted us till the
next year in the freezer and left ample to give to friends.
Unfortunately, now that I'm in eastern New York I can't find decent
'kraut cabbage. I've tried and tried but can't find anything that works
well for some reason. We always used to use Danish Ballhead. I still
have the crock, cutter, and stomper though just in case.

From the store, the closest that I've ever found in the northeast to
home made is Silver Floss in the bags. It's actually not bad. Now the
canned stuff is just like every other canned 'kraut... it sucks!

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 07:31:32 -0800, "Duwop" > wrote:

>"bbq" > wrote in message
>> Michael wrote:
>> > ....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm of

>the
>> > year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll bake

>some
>> > just to remind me of summer.
>> >

>Michael, there are some decent ways to make faux bbq indoors. No let up of
>the rain forcasted in the forseeable future, so if you gotta get a fix for
>that jones. Why the hell not?

Snippage

>. Can you imagine paying $50 for a freakin pork butt?

Not quite as bad here in Calgary but the local chains are trying out
for $3.00 plus.

I get a restaurateur client to bring them in for me - they go between
98 cents and a $1.15/lb - bone or bone out - same price.

It's one of the Ruglet Units' ninth birthday and he traditionally
asks [Birthday celebrators get to pick their menu] , for pulled pork,
poofy buns, slaw, and a little potato salad. Doesn't much give a rip
about cake, so we will make a birthday pie [apple].

Weather is starting to break up nicely, so we should be able to
comply.

Harry
Still posting from Ice Station Calgary, though.
Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:59:26 -0800, "Duwop" > wrote:

>"Jack Curry" <Jack > wrote in message
>> >

>> My woman has been doing them for decades and they're simply awesome as

>well
>> as really easy.
>>
>> In a large pyrex baking dish she fills one side (half the dish) with
>> sauerkraut and the other half with canned blackeyed peas. On top go
>> boneless country ribs (or any ribs will do), salted and peppered. Cover
>> tightly with foil then bake at 325 for two hours or so. It's very

>forgiving
>> so time/temp aren't critical.
>>
>> An all time family favorite.
>>
>> Jack Curry
>>

>Thanks Jack! Based on my wifes reaction I'll be making this for myself
>(she's Italian, what's she know about kraut?) , it sounds like great
>winter/comfort food.

Here's one that was posted some years ago, by Sheldon/Penmart the rfc
resident troll. His rfc persona is ugly but he does know his food.
It's not too different from what we do, except we duck on the bay
leaves , but do add in a little tomato sauce.

This also works for pork chops although we do spice them up with S&P
and a little rub and sauteed the lightly before placing into the
sauerkraut dish to bake.

Harry

Posting from Ice Station Calgary

Spareribs and Sauerkraut .
4 cups sauerkraut, drained
3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
I onion, cut in thin rings
2 bay leaves
I teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 pounds pork spareribs, trimmed (about 4 racks babyback)
Preheat oven to 3 50F. Spread the sauerkraut over the bottom of a
shallow baking
dish. Cover with the apples, onion rings, bay leaves, salt, and
pepper. Drizzle
the wine over and lay the spareribs on top. Cover snugly with foil and
bake for
I hour. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes. Cut the ribs into 3-rib
portions
and serve each over a spoonful of apples, onions, and sauerkraut.
from The Fanny Farmer Cookbook
Michael

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> "bbq" > wrote in message
> > Michael wrote:
> > > ....for a buck ninety-nine. Right in the middle of the biggest storm

of
> the
> > > year. They look good, but man it's too stormy and cold. Maybe I'll

bake
> some
> > > just to remind me of summer.
> > >

> Michael, there are some decent ways to make faux bbq indoors. No let up of
> the rain forcasted in the forseeable future, so if you gotta get a fix for
> that jones. Why the hell not?
> Or you could do a recipe I've been interested in trying but I've never

seen
> directions for or a recipe. Some of the guys here have mentioned ribs in
> sauerkraut. Sounds pretty good. Maybe someone has directions?
>
> > buck nintey-nine, not a great deal around here. I can always get them
> > for a buck forty eight. On sale, less than a buck.

> Damn, here in the SFBA it's seldom less than $3/lb.. One of those chi-chi
> high end supermarkets opened nearby last month (Whole Foods), checked out
> their meat dept. and noticed a pork picnic, wondering what they wanted for
> it I peeked closer............................................ ............
>
> $4.99lb.!!!!! There were a couple of guys behind the counter so I remarked
> on the price, he proudly explained that their pork is "all natural and
> organic" and some other mumbo jumbo to which I replied it's still a scrap
> cut fit for little but bbq and it's at least 30% fat and water, pricing a
> scrap cut like this is similar to trying to sell high priced "prime" flank
> steak or stew meat (yeah, I know the carcass is all prime). He had the

good
> manners or sense to look a bit chagrined and shrug. Next time I'll look to
> see if they've priced it a bit more reasonably, I expect not. Can you
> imagine paying $50 for a freakin pork butt?

LOL, I can't imagine payin' more than six or eight bucks for the whole
roast. There's a hoity-toity market here called the Nugget and they try crap
like that all the time.
I'm gonna cook some in the oven and when they're almost falling of the bone
I'll slather ''em with sauce. (Cafeteria style ribs!) I've quit using BBQ
sauce and I've got a few bottles of really good sauce hangin' around.

David G.

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
>> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>>
>>> That method (except for the peas) goes well with a "normal" pork
>>> roast too. The roast shouldn't be falling apart but you should be
>>> able to separate it with a fork (at least the way I was brought up)
>>> Served with mashed potatoes and applesauce. It's german tradition
>>> that if you have that on New Years day (which we did) that it will
>>> bring you luck for the ensuing year. Now the luck thing is dubious
>>> at best but it's some good eatin'.
>>>
>>> --

>> Damn, this is why I like this group. I lived a while next to
>> Bernhausen in Germany, which is to German sauerkraut what Gilroy is
>> to US garlic. Learned what good kraut is there, sure isnt that
>> pickled stuff. Anyway, they serve the kraut over the mashed
>> potatoes, makes a fine tasty mess. You serve it that way too?
>>

> I kinda leave that up to each person. However they want it, I don't
> care. As for the 'kraut, I agree. Most of the store stuff is crap.
> When I lived in NW PA we made 50 gallons every fall. That lasted us
> till the next year in the freezer and left ample to give to friends.
> Unfortunately, now that I'm in eastern New York I can't find decent
> 'kraut cabbage. I've tried and tried but can't find anything that
> works well for some reason. We always used to use Danish Ballhead. I
> still have the crock, cutter, and stomper though just in case.
>
> From the store, the closest that I've ever found in the northeast to
> home made is Silver Floss in the bags. It's actually not bad. Now the
> canned stuff is just like every other canned 'kraut... it sucks!

Damn....you're makin me feel bad...I've only ever had Saurkraut in clear
plastic bags sold next to the dogs in the supermarket. I like the stuff, but
now I have to wonder what I'm Missing.

Steve Calvin

David G. wrote:

> Damn....you're makin me feel bad...I've only ever had Saurkraut in clear
> plastic bags sold next to the dogs in the supermarket. I like the stuff, but
> now I have to wonder what I'm Missing.

Honest David, if you can find the plastic bags of Silver Floss they
really aren't bad and the closest commercial product that I've found to
homemade.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Brick

On 2-Jan-2005, "Duwop" > wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > That method (except for the peas) goes well with a "normal" pork roast
> > too. The roast shouldn't be falling apart but you should be able to
> > separate it with a fork (at least the way I was brought up) Served with
> > mashed potatoes and applesauce. It's german tradition that if you have
> > that on New Years day (which we did) that it will bring you luck for the
> > ensuing year. Now the luck thing is dubious at best but it's some good
> > eatin'.
> >
> > --

> Damn, this is why I like this group. I lived a while next to Bernhausen in
> Germany, which is to German sauerkraut what Gilroy is to US garlic.
> Learned
> what good kraut is there, sure isnt that pickled stuff. Anyway, they serve
> the kraut over the mashed potatoes, makes a fine tasty mess. You serve it
> that way too?

Don't forget to mention what they do with au jou (sp). There's usually some
sausage or something in there. Germans aren't big on totally meatless meals.
And yes they do some better kraut then I can get my hands on on top of
mashed
potatoes. But as I recommember, there's always some kind of sauce to jazz it
up.
Circa 1957 and then again in 1965.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)
Steve Calvin

Brick wrote:

> Don't forget to mention what they do with au jou (sp). There's usually some
> sausage or something in there. Germans aren't big on totally meatless meals.
> And yes they do some better kraut then I can get my hands on on top of
> mashed
> potatoes. But as I recommember, there's always some kind of sauce to jazz it
> up.
> Circa 1957 and then again in 1965.

We didn't but you're right. It's common. We usually just did the pork,
kraut, and potatoes. Sometimes with applesauce, sometimes with corn.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Brick

On 2-Jan-2005, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>

> > Don't forget to mention what they do with au jou (sp). There's usually
> > some
> > sausage or something in there. Germans aren't big on totally meatless
> > meals.
> > And yes they do some better kraut then I can get my hands on on top of
> > mashed
> > potatoes. But as I recommember, there's always some kind of sauce to
> > jazz it
> > up.
> > Circa 1957 and then again in 1965.
> >

> We didn't but you're right. It's common. We usually just did the pork,
> kraut, and potatoes. Sometimes with applesauce, sometimes with corn.
>
> --
> Steve

As a recovering Bratwurst and Saurkraut addict, the mere mention of
it sends me into a frenzy to locate the nearest pusher.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Org artichokes and brussle sprouts in stock at Raley's I Don't Know Diabetic 70 25-10-2013 08:03 PM
Barbecue Spares bbq Barbecue 4 03-07-2011 07:49 AM
[LONG} West Coast Wines, pt. 2: NorCal Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 14-01-2008 02:39 PM
Spares have made it to the WSM Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 13 15-03-2004 02:44 AM