FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sorry sort of (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/49653-sorry-sort.html)

Ol' Hippie 30-12-2004 03:06 PM

Sorry sort of

I really didn't want to start a political ****ing match, sorry but I am
still ****ed. I had dinner with my friend Nihal last night and we will be
pooling what $ we can and will send it to his sister who survived in Sri
Lanka, apparently there is (was) a home for disabled children approx 300 of
them, that was destroyed. Before the Tsunami they had it pretty tough, now
it is, well you get the picture. She will see to it that the kids get the
things they need and will be our contact to send help. So far in our little
town the outpouring of concern for Nihal and his family and friends is heart
warming.

--
Bruce-n-G'ganna-n-Gold Beach

Chef Juke 30-12-2004 08:58 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:06:37 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

>I really didn't want to start a political ****ing match, sorry but I am
>still ****ed. I had dinner with my friend Nihal last night and we will be
>pooling what $ we can and will send it to his sister who survived in Sri
>Lanka, apparently there is (was) a home for disabled children approx 300 of
>them, that was destroyed. Before the Tsunami they had it pretty tough, now
>it is, well you get the picture. She will see to it that the kids get the
>things they need and will be our contact to send help. So far in our little
>town the outpouring of concern for Nihal and his family and friends is heart
>warming.

No worries. Was my fault for bringing the whole Norwegian guy thing
into it.

Yup, people are at their best when they find a way to help each other.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Ol' Hippie 30-12-2004 11:57 PM

No fault to be laid my friend. This is a very stressful time, I don't know
if I am coming or going. Thought I was going to do that first big batch of
sauce with Sweet Creek, my pocketbook will not let me do both, and my heart
will not let me do the batch of sauce while my friend and his family and
friends are in such a state of upheaval. My livelihood is my sauce, getting
to the next level will have to wait, I will cook 5 gallon batches till the
cows come home and we WILL make that big step. But not right now. I think I
pray, I worry. As long as I can pay the taxes and keep my Carl's starter
working we will eat and we will survive. Heck I have a real bar code now,
that is worth something ya think?

--
Bruce-n-G'ganna-n-Gold Beach

Harry Demidavicius 31-12-2004 01:12 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:57:23 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

>No fault to be laid my friend. This is a very stressful time,

snippage

I rather believe the initial responses by our Governments appeared
miserly as nobody realized the extent of this largest Natural Disaster
in several centuries. I noticed a lot of rapid Course Corrections
after the true extent became known; I don't believe we've seen the
last of them yet.

Harry

Kevin S. Wilson 31-12-2004 07:05 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:12:29 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:57:23 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:
>
>>No fault to be laid my friend. This is a very stressful time,

>snippage
>
>I rather believe the initial responses by our Governments appeared
>miserly as nobody realized the extent of this largest Natural Disaster
>in several centuries. I noticed a lot of rapid Course Corrections
>after the true extent became known; I don't believe we've seen the
>last of them yet.

Yep. The World Health Organization is projecting that in the aftermath
deaths from disease and famine will exceed the 116,000 deaths so far
directly attributable to the tsunami/quake.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Harry Demidavicius 31-12-2004 06:50 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:05:29 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:12:29 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:57:23 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:
>>
>>>No fault to be laid my friend. This is a very stressful time,

>>snippage
>>
>>I rather believe the initial responses by our Governments appeared
>>miserly as nobody realized the extent of this largest Natural Disaster
>>in several centuries. I noticed a lot of rapid Course Corrections
>>after the true extent became known; I don't believe we've seen the
>>last of them yet.
>>

>Yep. The World Health Organization is projecting that in the aftermath
>deaths from disease and famine will exceed the 116,000 deaths so far
>directly attributable to the tsunami/quake.

The 116K figure is just the number of corpses recovered, Kevin. It
does not include fishermen, divers, back packers who have just
disappeared, as well as whatever mayhem transpired on the lesser
islands in Indonesia and Thailand. I should not be surprised the
figure start to approach 200K when the names of these missing
individuals are factored in. Then will come the inevitable epidemics.

I haven't been tracking America's financial efforts but did read that
the US Navy has dispatched a number of ships to the affected areas to
act as relief platforms for the survivors. This is alone is a
significant gesture.

Australia is up to 60 million and has a couple of ships en route as
does Singapore who popped for 90 million.

Canada has sent planefulls of supplies and donations should break
through 70 million today. The Gov'ts of Canada, Alberta, & BC have
coughed up 58 million of that; plus the feds are matching all personal
and corporate donations made prior to 14 Jan.

I believe the World's response with materials, medical and disaster
relief expertise etc etc is admirable despite the inane musings of the
UN Bureaucrats; the biggest hindrance now is the logistics of
delivering to the places where this is needed.

HAD