Ol' Hippie

Default can't post my true flame

I won't bother my friend here with how ****ed I am at the UN.
already sent Jen Engelend a message as well as let George W & Cheney.
Anyone know how to vent in someone's ear how I REALLY feel?

Bruce, my feelings only G'ganna has nothing to do with this.

Ol' Hippie

my apologies to those that are not as drunk as I am.
Bruce -n-Gold Beach up till now

Dave Bugg

Ol' Hippie wrote:
> I won't bother my friend here with how ****ed I am at the UN.
> already sent Jen Engelend a message as well as let George W & Cheney.
> Anyone know how to vent in someone's ear how I REALLY feel?
>
> Bruce, my feelings only G'ganna has nothing to do with this.

Well heck, Bruce... what's got ya steamed?

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Ol' Hippie

Hi Dave
Well to begin with reading too much about this Tsunami, and hearing that UN
jerk Jen,Jan Engelund calling us "Stingy" that really got me riled. After a
good nights sleep I don't feel like strangling anyone but it still irks me.
Feel sort of helpless to do much for those folks over there, except pray. My
friend here in Gold Beach has a lot of family and friends in Sri Lanka and
he is devastated. I don't have money to send. So I just stew.
How are you & the family doing? I assume the joint is probably one of the
best spots in town you thinking of a franchise yet? Lord knows we could sure
use a good Q joint here, closest one worth a darn is 80 miles away in Coos
Bay.

--
Bruce-n-G'ganna-n-Gold Beach

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:36:52 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

>I won't bother my friend here with how ****ed I am at the UN.
>already sent Jen Engelend a message as well as let George W & Cheney.
>Anyone know how to vent in someone's ear how I REALLY feel?
>
>Bruce, my feelings only G'ganna has nothing to do with this.

I can!

I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -

PM-the-pm [Our Prime Minister] coughed up $1 million as soon as
Canada became aware; then as Canada learned of the scope of the
disaster; this was raised to $10 and today to $20 million. In
addition to that the citizenry of Canada has raised over $5 million in
cash and supplies. That accented ****er is so far up his ass he's
crawling on his scrawny scrotum.!

America immediately coughed for $10 million - I don't know where they
are at now monetarily except their Fleet has been dispatched to
provide aid and assistance.

WTF has the ****ing UN done except chastise us? I haven't seen any of
their task forces being readied to Saddle-up and head-em out!

Harry
[Normal programming now resumes].

Chef Juke > wrote:

> In defense of a fellow (at least partially) Norwegian,

Excuse me, Chef, I thought I heard him say that most of us Americans would
like our taxes raised so we could give more money away!

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
Duwop

"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> > wrote:
>
> >I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -

> What he said....
> __

Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
with "talking points".

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:49:12 GMT, Bob in socal >
wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:22:27 -0800, "Duwop" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius

>>> What he said....
>>> __
>>>

>>Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
>>with "talking points".
>>

>Is that why the guy has been apologizing for two days ?
>
>Copyright 2004 Associated Press
>
>"We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the rich
>countries," Egeland said. "And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy,
>really. ... Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries
>at least how rich we have become."
>
>Egeland told reporters Tuesday his complaint wasn't directed at any
>nation in particular.

So maybe you shouldn't be taking it so personally.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -

>> What he said....
>> __
>>

>Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
>with "talking points".

At last, something we both agree on.

BTW, you misspelled "talking points." I believe it is spelled
"bumper-sticker politics."

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

F.G. Whitfurrows

Jack Curry wrote:
> -****it. Politics you want, politics it is-

Have a drink, Jack. I'm startin' to worry about ya.<g>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Chef Juke

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:39:13 -0800, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> wrote:

>Jack Curry wrote:
>> -****it. Politics you want, politics it is-

>Have a drink, Jack. I'm startin' to worry about ya.<g>

Nah, it's MY bad. I bit, mainly because, being half-Norwegian, I felt
a duty (after reading the direct quotes) to at least correct some
mischaracterizations of what the guy said.

I should know better than to engage in an off-topic POLITICAL
discussion in ANY newsgroup. Usually leads to more gunk being thrown
around than is neccessary.

For the record: I think everyone should help out everyone else to the
best of their ability, when they can.

In the cases of disasters, I have a tendency to help those I have a
connection with when applicable, or the agency that seems most
interested and able to get real help to the people who need it.
Again, when I can.

Yesterday morning I received an email from a fellow who worked with me
a few years back. He lives in Paris now, but had often told me of his
teen-early 20's years when he lived in a community near Pondicherry,
India. He told me of the reports he had gotten from his friends who
still live in the community and what they are doing to help with
disaster relief.

http://www.auroville.org/crisis.htm

I made a donation to their organization based on my connection through
my friend and his assurances that the $$ will go right to direct
relief to people who need it.

I dunno...if asked, I would tell most folks that I work hard for my
$$, but at the same time I realize that, compared to many, what I do
is NOT considered hard work. It sure isn't HARD labor (that is
evident in one look at my waistline). While I fall into what most
folks in this country would consider "middle class", I am aware that I
sure can afford a lot of unnecessary things..(like cable TV, Internet
Access, Digital cameras, etc...none of which are one of the four basic
food groups last I checked). and so, at any rate, I think I can spare
not buying a latte or two for a while and send the $$ to someone in
need. Whether it's an AFB'er who loses their house or an unknown
Indian villager who has just had their life turned upside down by a
Tsunami.

I've been blessed with a pretty comfortable life and try to take the
opportunities to share my good fortune when they arise.

And I think that an official in the arena of humanitarian aid giving a
dig at the rich countries in the world (of which he considered his own
to be) to try to get them to be more giving isn't necessarily a bad
thing.

Your mileage may vary.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:36:52 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:
>
>>I won't bother my friend here with how ****ed I am at the UN.
>>already sent Jen Engelend a message as well as let George W & Cheney.
>>Anyone know how to vent in someone's ear how I REALLY feel?
>>
>>Bruce, my feelings only G'ganna has nothing to do with this.
>>

>I can!
>
>I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -
>
>PM-the-pm [Our Prime Minister] coughed up $1 million as soon as
>Canada became aware; then as Canada learned of the scope of the
>disaster; this was raised to $10 and today to $20 million. In
>addition to that the citizenry of Canada has raised over $5 million in
>cash and supplies. That accented ****er is so far up his ass he's
>crawling on his scrawny scrotum.!
>
>America immediately coughed for $10 million - I don't know where they
>are at now monetarily except their Fleet has been dispatched to
>provide aid and assistance.
>
>WTF has the ****ing UN done except chastise us? I haven't seen any of
>their task forces being readied to Saddle-up and head-em out!
>
>Harry
>[Normal programming now resumes].

Canada Government pledge is now up to 40 million [ matches that of
Amercica, but there's only 33 million of us up here] . . .

Harry

**** that GD UN Jerk-off, and the syphilitic horse he rode in on.
!!!!
Harry Demidavicius

"Duwop" > wrote:
> "Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> > Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> >
> > >I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -

> > What he said....
> >

> Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
> with "talking points".

Englewhateverhisnameis complete statement was on C-SPAN. I'm with Harry.

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
http://www.cidi.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

Piedmont

http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm...6983414B7F0000

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Oxfam GB is a development, relief, and campaigning organization that
works with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
around the world.
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm

Throughout the world, Operation Smile volunteers repair childhood facial
deformities while building public and private partnerships that advocate
for sustainable healthcare systems for children and families. Together,
we create smiles, change lives, heal humanity.
http://www.operationsmile.org/

Piedmont

Scientific American Mind
December 2004 Issue

Secret Powers Everywhere

Conspiracy theories offer attractively simple explanations for a chaotic
world. So we must be careful about what we believe

By Thomas Grüter

President John F. Kennedy wasn't assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald; he
was actually murdered by the CIA because he opposed the agency's
unauthorized operations. Princess Diana didn't simply die in a car crash
because the driver was fleeing from paparazzi; the royal family played a
role because they didn't want Diana to inherit power or wealth. And when
you see high-flying jet fighters leaving contrails in their wake, that's
not just a physical effect of hot emissions in cold, humid air; the
aircraft are spraying fine droplets--chemtrails--over the public,
sometimes experimental infections or poisons, perhaps vaccines.

Conspiracy theories have thrived for centuries, and the Internet has
accelerated their dissemination. Chemtrail believers have posted several
Web sites to warn people of current threats. And the British
Broadcasting Corporation has identified more than 36,000 sites providing
myths and legends about Lady Di's fatal accident in 1997.

Why do people go to great lengths to try to prove that secret powers are
orchestrating everything from the spread of diseases to the death of
famous people? And do those who believe the theories merely have
overactive imaginations, or is something else going on in their heads?

Borderline Sanity
Most individuals who revel in tales of conspiracies are sane, even if
they border on delusional. Psychiatrists label someone delusional when
he has a false view of reality and holds onto that view with subjective
certainty. Arguments and clear evidence against the delusion will not
shake the person. This steadfastness can take several forms. In
relational delusions, an individual sees all the people, events and
objects around him as connected to him. He believes the window display
in the store on the corner is sending him a message or that a certain
newspaper article was meant for him alone. In persecution delusions, the
individual thinks others are eavesdropping on him, watching him, chasing
him.

Politicians often promote conspiracy theories to defame an opponent as
evil or manipulative, responsible for all kinds of terrible deeds.

Whatever the delusion, therapists often cannot tell if an apparently
crazy idea is or is not based in reality. And to some degree, it doesn't
matter. A diagnosis of delusional disorder is made primarily on the way
a patient presents the idea and his absolute certainty about events that
will fall out from it. Still, therapists must be cautious. It is
possible, after all, that a patient is really being harassed at work,
that her spouse is cheating on her, or that her business partner is
defrauding her.

Therapists must also be careful to not mislabel facts as delusions, a
trap known as the Martha Mitchell effect. Martha Mitchell was the wife
of former U.S. attorney general John Mitchell. In October 1972 he was
accused of having ordered the break-in at the Democratic campaign
headquarters in the Watergate Hotel in Washington, D.C. Mrs. Mitchell
repeatedly told the press that her husband was being made a scapegoat to
protect the real culprit--President Richard M. Nixon. The White House
spread disinformation about Mrs. Mitchell, saying she had a drinking
problem and implying that her statements were delusional. When the
scandal was ultimately unraveled, Mrs. Mitchell's statements were proved
true and she was shown to be utterly sane.

Vicious Cycle of Prejudice
The many successful books and television shows about "what really
happened" at Watergate or "who really killed" JFK prove that people are
readily attracted to conspiracy theories. But why? One basic answer is
that the theories promote a simple message. Whatever has happened, there
is a single force--usually an evil one--behind it. Humans tend to
drastically simplify complicated issues, reducing them to a lone cause
whenever possible. This exercise brings order out of chaos; it makes a
complex world intelligible. And once a person believes he understands
how something works, he holds fast to this belief. Trust in a secret
master plan created by a powerful organization offers simple
cause-and-effect relationships that build along a linear chain of
events. Chance and ambiguity have no role, which is comforting even in
the face of sinister forces.

Conspiracies are especially likely to become popular when they feed
already existing prejudices or superstitions. Belief in the conspiracy
reinforces these positions. In this vicious cycle, any connection to
reality is rapidly lost. And if the theory confirms suspicions long held
by many people, the number of adherents will grow.

One good though repulsive example is the accusation, made at various
times in history since the Middle Ages, that Jews sacrifice Christian
children in secret rituals. This myth originated with a British
Benedictine monk, Thomas of Monmouth. In his book The Life and Miracles
of St. William of Norwich, published in 1173, Thomas reported on the
death of a 12-year-old boy. Using the flimsiest of evidence, he claimed
the boy was the victim of ritual murder by Jews. This libel was
reiterated repeatedly until well into the 19th century. Anti-Semitic
writings and falsified documents such as The Talmud Jew, published by
theologian August Rohling in 1871, later lent a pseudoscientific air to
the legend. These false accusations and similar ones helped to fuel
anti-Semitism throughout the 20th century and into the present day.

Roots of Mistrust
People seem especially willing to accept such radical tales if they
spring from a general mistrust of other people. In 1994 Ted Goertzel of
Rutgers University conducted a study in which subjects read 10
conspiratorial legends and were then asked which they found credible.
The majority said at least one of the conspiracies was correct, and many
of them accepted several as true. For example, half of the participants
believed that the Japanese were conspiring to destroy the American
economy. More interesting, though, Goertzel revealed that dissatisfied
people were more likely than satisfied people to believe any of the
conspiracies. The subjects who were especially susceptible also tended
to have the greatest distrust of politicians and government officials.

Racial self-identification may play a role, too. A large proportion of
African-Americans in the study believed the U.S. government had created
the AIDS virus in secret laboratories and had deliberately infected
black people. This belief may have had roots that the participants were
not even consciously aware of. In 1932 in the town of Tuskegee, Ala.,
researchers from the forerunner of the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention began a notorious study of almost 400 African-American men
who had syphilis.

Rather than give an honest diagnosis, the researchers simply told the
men that medical reports indicated they had "bad blood"--a term used at
that time for a range of disorders from anemia to chronic fatigue
syndrome. The researchers offered these desperate and poor men free
treatment and even volunteered to cover their funeral expenses if
needed. In reality, the clinicians wanted to examine the course of
untreated syphilis--to its end point, death. Even after penicillin
became widely available in 1947--a drug that could have cured these
patients--the study continued. Many of the subjects died, but not before
infecting others. The men were treated as human guinea pigs.

Remarkably, the project went on until 1972, when journalist Jean Heller
discovered the plot. Three months later the federal government declared
the work unethical and broke it off. A court awarded the participants or
their families $9 million in compensation as well as free health care.
None of the researchers or administrators responsible were criminally
tried, however. It was not until May 1997 that President Bill Clinton
officially apologized to the eight remaining survivors. This history,
and other stories like it, may well have fueled the widespread
acceptance among African-Americans in Goertzel's study that the U.S.
government conspired to inflict AIDS on members of their race. This
real-life cover-up may also be the reason many blacks still distrust the
CDC's current efforts to prevent and treat AIDS nationally.

Poisoned Minds
A conspiracy theory need not have its roots in a real event, however.
Completely invented incidents are good enough, if they are believable.
In politics, bogus conspiracy theories are often used to defame an
opponent as evil or manipulative. Throughout human history, rulers have
depicted their nemeses as conspirators responsible for all kinds of
terrible deeds. In the first century A.D., the Roman emperor Nero spread
the rumor that the Christians had set Rome on fire. In the Middle Ages,
organized massacres of Jews were set off when Russian leaders leveled
bizarre, utterly imaginary accusations at them.

One of the most successful, and most evil, examples is The Protocols of
the Elders of Zion. This book, apparently published by Russian czar
Nicholas II's secret police around 1897, laid out a conspiracy by Jews
and Freemasons to take over the world. The forged document accused both
groups of being responsible for the French Revolution as well as the
rise of socialism and anarchism--in short, everything that monarchists
and nationalists in the late 19th and early 20th century feared. The
Protocols strongly influenced public opinion in many other countries.

From the very beginning people questioned the validity of the
Protocols, but that did nothing to slow their dissemination.
Paradoxically, the arguments against their reliability strengthened
belief in the existence of a worldwide Jewish conspiracy bent on
discrediting them. The text appeared again and again in new guises, most
of them accompanied by other anti-Semitic tracts. Among other things,
the text served as an important source of Nazi ideology and was embraced
by Adolf Hitler. It was even put on the assigned reading list in German
schools starting in 1935. Today the Protocols is especially widespread
in Arab countries, poisoning the minds of readers there.

Conspiracy theories provide political manipulators with justification
for using any conceivable method to destroy their rivals. The notorious
U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations chaired by Senator
Joseph McCarthy in the early 1950s sought hidden communists everywhere
in the U.S.--and of course found them. One denunciation was enough to
"prove" an individual was a communist--as was a person's refusal to name
others who were supposedly communists, too. Almost 10,000 people lost
their jobs because of untrue, sometimes extorted, accusations. Those
pushing the theory of a massive communist conspiracy saw their ideas
splendidly confirmed by these results.

Dictators and tyrants, in order to surround themselves with an army of
abettors who will serve them without question, constantly invent new
conspiracies against their regimes. And because their supposed opponents
act in secret, they can be anywhere or everywhere, so constant alertness
is mandatory. This is how autocrats justify their repressive security
systems. Furthermore, because dictatorial regimes, in the eyes of their
supporters, are always right, any problems they encounter must be the
work of conspirators rather than mistakes.

Even democratic societies invent or are lured into attractive tales.
Many writers and publishers released "exposés" after the September 11
attacks that placed blame on all kinds of factions. Some even claimed
the attacks were carried out by the CIA. The proponents of these
accusations cast doubt on the official version of events and instead
proposed alternative explanations, using anonymous "experts" on the
Internet as their sources. Some went so far as to say that American
secret agents crashed the two passenger jets into the World Trade Center
by remote control. And because the agents knew the impact might not be
enough to topple the towers, they had the buildings' structural elements
blown out at the same moment. Why? So America the superpower could use
the tragedy to justify its military operations in the Middle East. Those
operations themselves were proof enough of the setup.

Politicians often promote conspiracy theories to defame an opponent as
evil or manipulative, responsible for all kinds of terrible deeds.

This logic--a reversal of cause and effect--is a hallmark of conspiracy
theory thinking. Events occurring now--such as the "war on terrorism,"
which is in large part a reaction to the attack on the World Trade
Center--are used as evidence to prove that the current actions had
already been planned far in advance. Conspiracy theorists can scarcely
imagine that history might have played out any other way.

Interpreting Signs
Inside their cocoons of imputed motives and machinations, the authors of
conspiracy theories also create their own defense systems. Their
reputations depend on their ability to defend their theories against all
attackers. A chief tactic is the claim of absolute insight. In ancient
societies, unique insight was drawn from oracles and omens. The ability
to read signs was also the foundation of priestly power. Only these
select few were able to read secret runes or interpret the entrails of
sacrificed animals and therefore explain the will of the gods.

Society's willingness to put on pedestals people who can interpret such
veiled knowledge persists even in today's fact-based culture. Sherlock
Holmes, the fictional forefather of modern detectives, could solve
crimes from just a handful of clues. Doctors diagnose internal disorders
on the basis of exterior signs of illness. Astronomers can explain both
the beginning and end of the universe simply from what they see in the
night sky.

Because conspiracies by definition operate in the shadows, only those in
the know can understand them. That elevates conspiracy theorists to the
status of prophets and satisfies their emotional need for importance.
And they can always count on support, because their interpretations feed
the needs or prejudices of many people.

Conspiracy theories tell us a lot about their believers' imagined
enemies, their fears and prejudices, and as a result can be useful in
documenting contemporary history. In today's world, which so many people
find overwhelmingly complicated, a simple explanation is all the more
attractive. It may well be that the first years of the 21st century are
a boom time for belief in conspiracies.

© 1996-2004 Scientific American, Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Oxfam GB is a development, relief, and campaigning organization that
works with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
around the world.
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm

Throughout the world, Operation Smile volunteers repair childhood facial
deformities while building public and private partnerships that advocate
for sustainable healthcare systems for children and families. Together,
we create smiles, change lives, heal humanity.
http://www.operationsmile.org/

Duwop

"Bob in socal" >
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:22:27 -0800, "Duwop" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius

> >> What he said....
> >> __
> >>

> >Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
> >with "talking points".
> >

> Is that why the guy has been apologizing for two days ?
>
> Copyright 2004 Associated Press
>
> "We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the rich
> countries," Egeland said. "And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy,
> really. ... Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries
> at least how rich we have become."
>
> Egeland told reporters Tuesday his complaint wasn't directed at any
> nation in particular.

EXACTLY! And, in his apology (which was only because of misdirected furor
started by some PAID entertainers) he pointed out its his JOB to ask for
more money. He was talking to ALL 1st world countries, why some want to take
it so personal and become so angry about this is beyond me.

If you want to get this angry, get angry about something people are doing to
actually harm you and yours and their children too, like the EPA chief, or
the Superfund honcho.

I suppose it is easier to let someone else do your outrage for ya though
isnt it?

Which talking head was playing this up anyway? Savage?

OUT!

Michael

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:36:52 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I won't bother my friend here with how ****ed I am at the UN.
> >>already sent Jen Engelend a message as well as let George W & Cheney.
> >>Anyone know how to vent in someone's ear how I REALLY feel?
> >>
> >>Bruce, my feelings only G'ganna has nothing to do with this.
> >>

> >I can!
> >
> >I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -
> >
> >PM-the-pm [Our Prime Minister] coughed up $1 million as soon as
> >Canada became aware; then as Canada learned of the scope of the
> >disaster; this was raised to $10 and today to $20 million. In
> >addition to that the citizenry of Canada has raised over $5 million in
> >cash and supplies. That accented ****er is so far up his ass he's
> >crawling on his scrawny scrotum.!
> >
> >America immediately coughed for $10 million - I don't know where they
> >are at now monetarily except their Fleet has been dispatched to
> >provide aid and assistance.
> >
> >WTF has the ****ing UN done except chastise us? I haven't seen any of
> >their task forces being readied to Saddle-up and head-em out!
> >
> >Harry
> >[Normal programming now resumes].

> Canada Government pledge is now up to 40 million [ matches that of
> Amercica, but there's only 33 million of us up here] . . .
>
> Harry
>
> **** that GD UN Jerk-off, and the syphilitic horse he rode in on.
> !!!!

Hey, slow down on that coffee.

Michael

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> "Bob in socal" >
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:22:27 -0800, "Duwop" >
> > wrote:

> > >Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio

whackos
> > >with "talking points".
> > >

> > Is that why the guy has been apologizing for two days ?
> >
> > Copyright 2004 Associated Press
> >
> > "We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the rich
> > countries," Egeland said. "And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy,
> > really. ... Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries
> > at least how rich we have become."
> >
> > Egeland told reporters Tuesday his complaint wasn't directed at any
> > nation in particular.
> >

> EXACTLY! And, in his apology (which was only because of misdirected furor
> started by some PAID entertainers) he pointed out its his JOB to ask for
> more money. He was talking to ALL 1st world countries, why some want to

take
> it so personal and become so angry about this is beyond me.
>
> If you want to get this angry, get angry about something people are doing

> actually harm you and yours and their children too, like the EPA chief, or
> the Superfund honcho.
>
> I suppose it is easier to let someone else do your outrage for ya though
> isnt it?
>
> Which talking head was playing this up anyway? Savage?

> OUT!

So, as I see it, whenever some paleocon talking head twists the truth in
order to sell advertising space on his show, the mindless minions who follow
his (her) kind of idiocy swallow it hook, line and sinker without doing any
actual thinking about what has been said. That is what allows the Limbaughs,
Hannitys, and Norvilles to get away with spewing their particular kind of
vitriol.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:59:18 GMT, Bob in socal >
wrote:

>Hold on Harry, it gets better.......
>http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...eut/index.html

So what's your point? A link does not an argument make.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Matthew L. Martin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:59:18 GMT, Bob in socal >
> wrote:
>

>>Hold on Harry, it gets better.......
>>http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...eut/index.html

> So what's your point? A link does not an argument make.

Especially since the contents of the link would apparently undermine his
own stated position.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:

> Everybody seems to conveniently forget that the President can neither
> wage war beyond the first 30 days nor can he allocate funds for foreign
> aid beyone a relatively small emergency fund. If you want to blame
> somebody, single out those 535 or so pricks in Congress. Only they
> can send your friends and loved ones to war and only they can spend
> your money. How anybody can imagine that the President of the United
> States actually runs the country is beyond me.

Most people know that the executive branch has broad discretion as to
how it can spend the money appropriated by those 535 "pricks". The
Department of State, alone, could have found $100 million or more. Add
what the Department of Commerce and other departments with money
available for such use, $200 million is probably an easy number to reach.

There is also nothing keeping GWB from calling those 535 "pricks" back
into session if he felt he needed more funding.

If GWB and his handlers would just count the number of muslims that
would benefit from substantial, immediate aid, they might figure out
that there is more than one way to fight the war on terror.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:

> Everybody seems to conveniently forget that the President can neither
> wage war beyond the first 30 days nor can he allocate funds for foreign
> aid beyone a relatively small emergency fund. If you want to blame
> somebody, single out those 535 or so pricks in Congress. Only they
> can send your friends and loved ones to war and only they can spend
> your money. How anybody can imagine that the President of the United
> States actually runs the country is beyond me.

Most people know that the executive branch has broad discretion as to
how it can spend the money appropriated by those 535 "pricks". The
Department of State, alone, could have found $100 million or more. Add
what the Department of Commerce and other departments with money
available for such use, $200 million is probably an easy number to reach.

There is also nothing keeping GWB from calling those 535 "pricks" back
into session if he felt he needed more funding.

If GWB and his handlers would just count the number of muslims that
would benefit from substantial, immediate aid, they might figure out
that there is more than one way to fight the war on terror.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Harry Demidavicius

wrote:

>"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I am also seriously ****ed at that UN asshole -

>> What he said....
>> __
>>

>Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
>with "talking points".

Errm - the radio whacko with 'talking points' whom I heard was the UN
Asshole himself - on CBC TV . . . .

BTW, since that post Canada's Gov't has raised the Country's
contribution to $40 million, Ontario dumped in $5 million and a bunch
of people to help and the 'unwashed masses' have added a further $5
million.

Harry

Jack Curry

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:22:27 -0800, "Duwop" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:25:58 GMT, Harry Demidavicius

> >> What he said....
> >> __
> >>

> >Well, maybe read Jukes post then and not just listening to radio whackos
> >with "talking points".

> Errm - the radio whacko with 'talking points' whom I heard was the UN
> Asshole himself - on CBC TV . . . .
>
> BTW, since that post Canada's Gov't has raised the Country's
> contribution to $40 million, Ontario dumped in $5 million and a bunch
> of people to help and the 'unwashed masses' have added a further $5
> million.
>
> Harry

I don't think Canada was the specific subject of criticism, Harry. Maybe
you took this too personally.

Jack
-Many of us just want to do the right thing-

Duwop

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

> Errm - the radio whacko with 'talking points' whom I heard was the UN
> Asshole himself - on CBC TV . . . .

And that got you so miffed? His mild chiding to "western nations"? You claim
you had no other contributions to your distress? None? That milquetoast
mannered diplomat ****ed you off that badly all by hisself did he?

> BTW, since that post Canada's Gov't has raised the Country's
> contribution to $40 million, Ontario dumped in $5 million and a bunch
> of people to help and the 'unwashed masses' have added a further $5
> million.

Well, mebbe it (the mild chiding) worked? ;D

Like he said, it is his job to raise funds for this sort of thing. *At the
time* many initial responses were pretty tepid. And I'm pretty sure I
remember another of his ilk saying the *exact same thing* after the last
large natural disaster of this type a few years ago. Did you get as angry
that time too? If not, why?
And why are so many others so damn angry about this? I just dont gettit. And
you'll excuse me if I wonder if its not related to some North American
faction wanting to discredit the UN at every turn.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> You snipped the other facts in my post. I wonder why?
>
>> "The newspaper also urged Bush to make good on U.S. relief pledges and
>> noted that U.S. relief for the Bam, Iran earthquake a year ago still has
>> not been delivered".
>>
>> I guess that would mean that Bush has made the USA a welcher as well as a
>> miser when it comes to disaster aid.

> Matthew

Because I don' t know the facts of it. What was the original schedule or
commitment? Is Bush holding it up or Congress or some other entity? If you
have accurate information on this, please post it so we can make an informed
decision and comment. I don't deal with hearsay, just facts. Post them,
please.

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:10:07 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
>
>> Errm - the radio whacko with 'talking points' whom I heard was the UN
>> Asshole himself - on CBC TV . . . .
>>

>And that got you so miffed? His mild chiding to "western nations"? You claim
>you had no other contributions to your distress? None? That milquetoast
>mannered diplomat ****ed you off that badly all by hisself did he?

Yes he/that chiding did. I apologize for sounding off as it is not my
style, but that person really got to me - WTF did he think he was?

He didn't appeal for the World to quickly step up to the plate - he
just said we were a bunch of cheapskates. Canada, who has been
paying its assessment into the UN and supporting its many projects,
was in the process of reacting progressively more quickly as the scope
of this Worst Natural Disaster of several centuries became more
evident.

>Well, mebbe it (the mild chiding) worked? ;D

Obviously not for me Duwop. As to my Government, I don't think they
gave a Rat's Ass to this Jerks 'chidings'.

>Like he said, it is his job to raise funds for this sort of thing. *At the
>time* many initial responses were pretty tepid. And I'm pretty sure I
>remember another of his ilk saying the *exact same thing* after the last
>large natural disaster of this type a few years ago. Did you get as angry
>that time too? If not, why?

Is this a test or what? Quit pushing Duwop . . . Today is not the
Day. We'll have a civilized debate in a month or twenty. OK?

>And why are so many others so damn angry about this? I just dont gettit. And
>you'll excuse me if I wonder if its not related to some North American
>faction wanting to discredit the UN at every turn.

It's related to some Jerk walking into my Living Room, ****ing on my
rug and wondering why I'm desirous to boot his ass.

Sorry for the flare-up, folks. It's been a bad month around here and
this Jerk's critcism when my Country is doing us proud and our family
is holding a survivor watch, is not on.

I'm done now and Normal Programming will resume.

Harry

Banjo

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

> It's related to some Jerk walking into my Living Room, ****ing on my
> rug and wondering why I'm desirous to boot his ass.

Great "Big Lebowski" re-set!

-Banjo

Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>And
>you'll excuse me if I wonder if its not related to some North American
>faction wanting to discredit the UN at every turn.

A-yup. Spot on.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:12:59 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>Sorry for the flare-up, folks. It's been a bad month around here and
>this Jerk's critcism when my Country is doing us proud and our family
>is holding a survivor watch, is not on.

Harry, I'm not sure what a survivor watch is, but it doesn't sound
good. I'm sorry to hear that you and your family are having troubles.
Keep your chin up.

Piedmont > wrote:
> Scientific American Mind
> December 2004 Issue
>
> Secret Powers Everywhere
>[]

Excellent and timely article, Mike. No more OT than a lot of stuff we've
(almost) all been posting here recently. Thanks for reproducing it! °~)

"Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!"

I ****in' love ya, Brick. Happy New Year, ya ol' bastid ! ! ! °~)))

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> []
> Get the facts and save yourself some ulcers.

My mind's made up. Don't bother me with no stinkin' facts!

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
http://www.cidi.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

HS

Here's more mixing politics with humanitarian aid that is incredible:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/m...20041231.shtml

"Duwop" > wrote:
> [] . . . I wonder if its not related to some North
> American faction wanting to discredit the UN at every turn.

Shhh. We are part of a secret conspiracy to destroy World Peace and replace
it with . . . that's all I can say publicly.

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>[]
> You snipped the other facts in my post. I wonder why?

Shhh. Edwin Pawlowski is part of our conspiracy, too!

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Sorry for the flare-up, folks. It's been a bad month around here and
> this Jerk's critcism when my Country is doing us proud and our family
> is holding a survivor watch, is not on.

I have to say, Harry, that I'm proud of your government for a change, too.
I've always been proud of the Canadian people, especially for refusing, en
masse, to register their guns!

> I'm done now and Normal Programming will resume.

OK. I hope your survivor watch turns out well.

"HS" > wrote:
> Here's more mixing politics with humanitarian aid that is incredible:
>
> http://www.townhall.com/columnists/m...20041231.shtml
>
> > wrote in message
> > Piedmont > wrote:
> >> Scientific American Mind
> >> December 2004 Issue
> >>
> >> Secret Powers Everywhere
> >>[]

> > Excellent and timely article, Mike. No more OT than a lot of stuff
> > we've (almost) all been posting here recently. Thanks for reproducing
> > it! °~)
> >
> > "Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!"

Another excellent and timely article. Thanks for pointing me to it, HS.