Dave Bugg

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Yes he/that chiding did. I apologize for sounding off as it is not my
> style, but that person really got to me - WTF did he think he was?

He was the person trying to pull attention away from the UN and Kookie
Anon's debauchery, thieving, and scandal-ridden corruption. After all, think
of how much money from the food-for-oil megabillions that has ended up
lining the pockets of the UN administrators in charge of the program.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Matthew L. Martin

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>

>>Yes he/that chiding did. I apologize for sounding off as it is not my
>>style, but that person really got to me - WTF did he think he was?

> He was the person trying to pull attention away from the UN and Kookie
> Anon's debauchery, thieving, and scandal-ridden corruption. After all, think
> of how much money from the food-for-oil megabillions that has ended up
> lining the pockets of the UN administrators in charge of the program.

Exactly how much? Care to point out real facts instead of rumors. There
are equally believable rumors that US companies lined their own pockets
with that program, too.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:

> Everybody seems to conveniently forget that the President can neither
> wage war beyond the first 30 days nor can he allocate funds for foreign
> aid beyone a relatively small emergency fund. If you want to blame
> somebody, single out those 535 or so pricks in Congress. Only they
> can send your friends and loved ones to war and only they can spend
> your money. How anybody can imagine that the President of the United
> States actually runs the country is beyond me.

This pretty much proves that the above assertion was false:

<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143002,00.html>

It also appears that the 535 "pricks" are going to take up tsunami aid
next week. Numbers being talked about are likely to end up in the single
digit billions of dollars.

Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.

Matthew
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:23:49 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:
>
>Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
>way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.

Maybe. But at least one observer maintains that NOTHING will placate
the Muslim world and that only a radical revision of Islam -- and
religion in general -- will bring an end to the attacks on "heretics"
and "infidels."

See "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris.

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393035158/104-3811374-1577520?v=glance>

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Matthew L. Martin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:23:49 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> > wrote:
>
>>Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
>>way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.

> Maybe. But at least one observer maintains that NOTHING will placate
> the Muslim world and that only a radical revision of Islam -- and
> religion in general -- will bring an end to the attacks on "heretics"
> and "infidels."
>
> See "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393035158/104-3811374-1577520?v=glance>

Be that as it may, the effect of aid and comfort to the people on the
ground will reduce the number of orphans who could otherwise be
convinced that the only thing they have left is martyrdom.

Matthew
Edwin Pawlowski

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

> Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long way
> in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.
>
> Matthew

Yeah, a few bucks will wipe out thousands of years of hatred.

Jack Curry

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>>
>> Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a
>> long way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.
>>
>> Matthew

> Yeah, a few bucks will wipe out thousands of years of hatred.

And your solution would be??

Jack Curry

Matthew L. Martin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>
>>Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long way
>>in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.
>>
>>Matthew

> Yeah, a few bucks will wipe out thousands of years of hatred.

First off, Islam is less than two thousands of years old so it would be
hard to have thousands of years of hatred. Secondly, yes, people's
attitude can be changed by sincere kindness. That is a basic tenent of
all of the world's major religions. That includes Christianity if you
didn't know that.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> First off, Islam is less than two thousands of years old so it would be
> hard to have thousands of years of hatred. Secondly, yes, people's
> attitude can be changed by sincere kindness. That is a basic tenent of all
> of the world's major religions. That includes Christianity if you didn't
> know that.
>
> Matthew

It is not just Islam (NOT a religion of hatred) but mankind itself. Parts of
the world have been at war for thousands of years and not have been resolved
just by money. Kindness, or course, does help. It does not matter how much
money the US or any country gives, it does not matter how much any country
does, there are those that will continue to hate.

I'm not saying we should not help, but don't expect any big changes because
of the amount of financial aid we give. Please don't confuse money with
kindness.

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> This pretty much proves that the above assertion was false:
>
> <http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143002,00.html>

Good artice, Matthew. I trust you caught the comment: "Powell cautioned,
"In due course, wherever the money comes from, those accounts will have to
be replenished, and that will take action with the Congress, so we will be
reaching out to Congress in the days ahead.""

> It also appears that the 535 "pricks" are going to take up tsunami aid
> next week. Numbers being talked about are likely to end up in the single
> digit billions of dollars.

Of course, President Bush has been dealing this while on a working
vacation. Congress will (ho hum) take it up when they get back from theirs.
I, too, think that the use of the term 'pricks' for them is inappropriate.
A 'prick' is part of a man. In that context, I'd say that GWB is definitely
a 'prick'!

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
Jack Curry

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>> First off, Islam is less than two thousands of years old so it would
>> be hard to have thousands of years of hatred. Secondly, yes, people's
>> attitude can be changed by sincere kindness. That is a basic tenent
>> of all of the world's major religions. That includes Christianity if
>> you didn't know that.
>>
>> Matthew

> It is not just Islam (NOT a religion of hatred) but mankind itself.
> Parts of the world have been at war for thousands of years and not
> have been resolved just by money. Kindness, or course, does help. It
> does not matter how much money the US or any country gives, it does
> not matter how much any country does, there are those that will
> continue to hate.
>
> I'm not saying we should not help, but don't expect any big changes
> because of the amount of financial aid we give. Please don't confuse
> money with kindness.

You know Ed, I have given you respect for your knowledge of barbecue since I
came here years ago, but now that this ng is no longer about cooking, it's a
new ballgame.

"Please don't confuse money with kindness."

Meaning what? We should send a sympathy card? Post a "Too bad for your
160,000 dead people" message on the internet? It would say, "We'll pray to
Jesus for your dead children," is that it?

Jack Curry
-This used to be a good ng-

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> >
> > Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
> > way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.
> >
> > Matthew

> Yeah, a few bucks will wipe out thousands of years of hatred.

Islam marks it's beginning as 622 C.E. Only 1,382 years.

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
http://www.cidi.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Brick

On 31-Dec-2004, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

<snip>

> First off, Islam is less than two thousands of years old so it would be
> hard to have thousands of years of hatred. Secondly, yes, people's
> attitude can be changed by sincere kindness. That is a basic tenent of
> all of the world's major religions. That includes Christianity if you
> didn't know that.
>
> Matthew

On 31-Dec-2004, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
> >>way
> >>in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.
> >>
> >>Matthew

> > Yeah, a few bucks will wipe out thousands of years of hatred.
> >

> First off, Islam is less than two thousands of years old so it would be
> hard to have thousands of years of hatred. Secondly, yes, people's
> attitude can be changed by sincere kindness. That is a basic tenent of
> all of the world's major religions. That includes Christianity if you
> didn't know that.
>
> Matthew

A little history.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/OTTOMAN/ORIGIN.HTM.

It would ppear that sincere kindness had very little to do with the growth
of
the Ottoman Empire.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Beth Cole

Brick wrote:
> I feel shamefully chastised for my poor choice of words. I'm sure there
> must be a better word for a large group of people whose sole objective
> in life appears to be their own re-election.

I believe the word you are looking for is "politician".

Beth

--
Evolution takes no prisoners. -- Mandy, "The Grim Adventures of Billy &
Mandy"
Dave Bugg

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Exactly how much? Care to point out real facts instead of rumors.

The specifics are being investigated. The allegations exist.. The evidence
will decide the extent of the problem. None of this requires your approval,
Matthew. And if your best defense and apologetics is to re-lable the
scandal a "rumour", there is not much to debate. You've blown your wad.
Whatever US companies did or did not do is irrelevant to the UN's
wrong-doings; but, then again, nice try at trying to defend the
indefensable.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
> way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.

Really? If our defense of the Muslims against the Christians in
Yugo/Bosnia/Herzowhatever didn't bring Muslim fanatics to give up trying to
kill us, I doubt tidal wave aid will make much of a dent.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

"Brick" > wrote:
> []
> I feel shamefully chastised for my poor choice of words. I'm sure there
> must be a better word for a large group of people whose sole objective
> in life appears to be their own re-election.

I wouldn't berate myself too much, Brick. The enormity of this catastophe
has left a lot of us with raw nerves, especially those who have loved ones
or friends missing or dead. Also, the feeling of vulnerability in realizing
that Nature can strike without warning, anywhere, anytime, has been brought
to the surface. Twelve hours of heavier than usual drinking has mellowed me
quite a bit. My SIL gave me a bottle of a fine Mezcal, which is already 1/4
gone. Damn, that's some good shit!

Be of good cheer, my friend. Each of us may be the Master of his Fate, but
there are many things over which we just have no control. Try to keep out
from under an 18 wheeler, etc, and . . . **** it, that's life!

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
http://www.cidi.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Matthew L. Martin

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>

>>Exactly how much? Care to point out real facts instead of rumors.

> The specifics are being investigated. The allegations exist..

Yes I know that

> The evidence
> will decide the extent of the problem.

Then why did you present your statements as if they were facts?

> None of this requires your approval,
> Matthew. And if your best defense and apologetics is to re-lable the
> scandal a "rumour", there is not much to debate.

The "rumor" reference was to the possible involvement of US corporations
in the fraud.

> You've blown your wad.

No. I'm just waiting for allegations to be proven before I take a hard
position. The fact that everything is still under investigation and that
almost no one suspects Annan of direct involvement belies your certainty.

> Whatever US companies did or did not do is irrelevant to the UN's
> wrong-doings; but, then again, nice try at trying to defend the
> indefensable.

Once again, nothing has been proven. If US companies are involved it
becomes less of a UN scandal and more of a US scandal. You are the one
presenting allegations as proof, not me.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:

> http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/OTTOMAN/ORIGIN.HTM.
>
> It would ppear that sincere kindness had very little to do with the growth
> of
> the Ottoman Empire.

Sure. As if the world is the same now as it was then.

Then we should do nothing and give the terrorists an enitre generation
of Indian Ocean orphans to recruit for suicide attacks. That makes a lot
of sense. If doing the right thing in aiding the victims of this
disaster gives those orphans hope and a future, they are much less
likely to be convinced that matyrdom is a better outcome.

Matthew
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>

>>Giving that kind of aid to muslim nations in great need will go a long
>>way in the fight on terror, and pretty cheaply, too.

> Really? If our defense of the Muslims against the Christians in
> Yugo/Bosnia/Herzowhatever didn't bring Muslim fanatics to give up trying to
> kill us, I doubt tidal wave aid will make much of a dent.
> --

Our defense of Muslims in Yugoslavia was delayed until the genocide was
too obvious to ignore. That was hardly our finest hour.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:18:51 GMT, Bob in socal >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:18:46 -0500, "Jack Curry" <Jack
> wrote:
>
>>Happy New Year to you too, and it was a better ng before you and Brick and
>>Socal Bob infested it with your politics.
>>
>>Jack Curry

>I hope it's the booze talking Jack, If not get a grip. Out of 79 posts
>on the subject I contributed 3 times to a thread I didn't start.

I suspect that Jack's memory of your posting history extends well
beyond this thread. Mine does.

>You've just got a hard-on for anybody that doesn't observe the
>liberal talking points and a chip on your shoulder a mile wide.

Ooooh, the "L" word. Skeery.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Jack Curry

Bob in socal wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:18:46 -0500, "Jack Curry" <Jack
> > wrote:
>
>> Happy New Year to you too, and it was a better ng before you and
>> Brick and Socal Bob infested it with your politics.
>>
>> Jack Curry

> I hope it's the booze talking Jack, If not get a grip. Out of 79 posts
> on the subject I contributed 3 times to a thread I didn't start.
> You've just got a hard-on for anybody that doesn't observe the
> liberal talking points and a chip on your shoulder a mile wide.
>
> Chill out my friend.
> __

Nope, not booze at all. You, Brick and Nick have been bringing politics
into what has been a non-political ng for at least a year. It's convenient
that you have X-No Archived yourself, so you can deny the many times you've
injected your political remarks into otherwise non-political discussions,
but it's still true.

I've complained about political remarks numerous times, but the three of you
continue. I and many others have often taken issue with your rightist
spoutings, in my case because I see no reason to let any other readers think
your ultra conservative views of the world represent the thinking of
everyone on this ng, but one of you three has been the initiator of these
political afb hairballs with high percentage frequency.

Do I have a chip on my shoulder? You bet I do.

IMO you have contributed to ****ing up what was a pretty good ng with your
neocon ravings. I suggest you stop the politics and let this ng return to
talking barbecue...where we can share a common interest and at least be
civil to one another, but if you all insist on turning alt.food.barbecue
into a political forum, then you get to hear how your Rush Limbaugh views of
the world are moronic.

Jack Curry

F.G. Whitfurrows

Jack Curry wrote:
> Do I have a chip on my shoulder? You bet I do.
>
> IMO you have contributed to ****ing up what was a pretty good ng with
> your neocon ravings.

<sigh> I once read where someone said something to the effect of....If it
bothers you just killfile the poster or ignore the thread, some of us find
it mildly entertaining.

Those were the days.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Dave Bugg

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Then why did you present your statements as if they were facts?

Because the allegations under investigation ARE fact. The only thing under
dispute is the EXTENT of the corruption, and which countries may be involved
other than the UN.

> The "rumor" reference was to the possible involvement of US
> corporations in the fraud.

You'd better re-read how you phrased your sentence, my friend.

> No. I'm just waiting for allegations to be proven before I take a hard
> position.

The allegations have lead to formal investigations. The fact that the
oil-for-food program was tapped illegally is a fact.

> The fact that everything is still under investigation and
> that almost no one suspects Annan of direct involvement belies your
> certainty.

Sorry, it doesn't wash. Kookie is involved because he is the head of the UN.
Plausible deniability on his part does not excuse his inneptness for not
knowing the fund was being robbed, nor his corruption if he did know.
Either way, he is culpable.

> Once again, nothing has been proven.

Hmmm. That's always a great straw to clutch and hold onto for dear life.

If US companies are involved it
> becomes less of a UN scandal and more of a US scandal. You are the one
> presenting allegations as proof, not me.

The allegations are not based on hope, guesses, or the National Enquirer.
They are based on audit trails that point fingers. The UN has to bear it's
own burden in this. What is pathetic and laughable is your attempt to do
what you love to do in this thread, Matthew: make America look like a bad
guy. How typical of your ilk. Last time I looked, this wasn't a facist
regime (yes, I know, you want everyone to believe that Walmart IS the US).
So whatever an individual corporation may or may not have done, it is on
their head, not America's.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Our defense of Muslims in Yugoslavia was delayed until the genocide
> was too obvious to ignore. That was hardly our finest hour.

It wasn't SUPPOSED to be our finest hour; it was supposed to be EUROPES
finest hour. We went in becasue the Europeans refused to deal with the mess
in their own back yards. So YES, it was a demonstration that America and
Americans do what is necessary and right when the UN and the rest of the
world cut-n-run.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Matthew L. Martin

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>

>>Then why did you present your statements as if they were facts?

> Because the allegations under investigation ARE fact.

al·le·ga·tion Audio pronunciation of "allegation" ( P ) Pronunciation
Key (l-gshn)
n.

1. Something alleged; an assertion: allegations of disloyalty.
2. The act of alleging.
3. A statement asserting something without proof: The newspaper's
charges of official wrongdoing were mere allegations.
4. Law. An assertion made by a party that must be proved or
supported with evidence.

Note definitions 3 and 4.

Since you have decided to use private definitions of commonly used
words, I'm done with you.

Good luck with your business and life.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Matthew L. Martin

Bob in socal wrote:

> Help is available Jack, you're not alone.
>
> http://www.bocanews.com/index.php?sr...0New s%20%20#

How typical. People who don't agree with you _must_ be crazy.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

"F.G. Whitfurrows" 'El Factotem della cita' >
wrote:
> []
> <sigh> I once read where someone said something to the effect of....If it
> bothers you just killfile the poster or ignore the thread, some of us
> find it mildly entertaining.
>
> Those were the days.

"Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto,
ridi del duol che t'avvelena il cor!"

Giovanne, ridi del duol che t'avvelena il cor!

--
Nick. To find out more about helping with tsunami relief, go to the web
site of the Center for International Disaster Information
http://www.cidi.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:55:03 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Bob in socal wrote:
>

>> Help is available Jack, you're not alone.
>>
>> http://www.bocanews.com/index.php?sr...0New s%20%20#
>>

>How typical. People who don't agree with you _must_ be crazy.

How else to sidestep every point Jack made?

Typical, indeed.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Chef Juke

Okay, I recall hearing once upon a time that there was some golden
rule of newsgroup threads that says that once someone invokes the name
of Hitler the friggn thread has to stop, right?

Then HITLER, already.

As I implied before, I'm sorry I ever brought up the whole Jan Egelund
thing in the first place.

When I was up in Wenatchee, one of the things I commented on was what
I liked about this newsgroup and the majority of the regular posters
to it:

That while we all come from very different backgrounds, political and
otherwise, we can all come together and get along great when we talk
about our common interest in BBQ.

Can we get back to that?

As for discussion and debate about the topics touched on in this
thread...

I love to discuss and debate such issues. I love to explore and learn
new facts about issues and thus expand my understanding of them as
well as adjust my position on them when I get new information that
contradicts my earlier position. That kind of discourse I love...

BUT...

You just can't effectively have that kind of discourse in this type of
forum. Both the delays in the communication method and the lack of
the personal interaction hinders the exchange of the ideas...you can't
hear someone's tone of voice or see the expressions on their face in a
newsgroup posting....so what inevitably happens is that the discourse
eventually gets reduced to a meaningless tit-for-tat exchage (see,
it's far easier to insult someone when you are not face-to-face).

Besides, even if you DID want to have a prolonged discussion on this
topic in a newsgroup, this ain't the right one for it. I'm sure
there's an Alt.Politics.the.UN.Sucks or Alt.Politics.Bush.is.Great or
some such newsgroups that would welcome this discussion...but it
doesn't really belong here.

So...we can continue this thread....which will likely mean seeing more
and more links to URLS promoting or insulting one 'side' or the
other... and more personal insults being flung in the directions of
the posters who support one position or the other...

Or we can just stop.

I vote for the 'stop' option.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com