bk

Default Keeping brisket

Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The wife
always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha means
cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a head, do I slice
it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the fridge. I'd certainly wrap
it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge. Reheating seems to be real issue.
H E L P !!

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:45:19 GMT, "bk" > wrote:

>Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The wife
>always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha means
>cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a head, do I slice
>it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the fridge. I'd certainly wrap
>it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge. Reheating seems to be real issue.

I would wrap it in plastic as you describe, the a few hours before you
want to serve it, remove the plastic and wrap it in foil, then heat it
in a roaster oven on low.

F.G. Whitfurrows

bk wrote:
> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
> wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
> means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
> head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
> fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
> Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

Keep it whole and slice it after reheating, which should be done slowly on a
low power in the microwave, I guess. You could cut it into smaller sized
pieces so the reheating might not take as long, but if you slice it all up
and then reheat it its gonna dry out way to much.

If you started cookin' it on Friday, ya could pull it on Sat mornin' and
wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler until dinner time. This
would keep it not only moist but hot, too, until you are ready to slice it.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

bk wrote:
> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
> wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
> means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
> head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
> fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
> Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

Keep it whole and slice it after reheating, which should be done slowly on a
low power in the microwave, I guess. You could cut it into smaller sized
pieces so the reheating might not take as long, but if you slice it all up
and then reheat it its gonna dry out way to much.

If you started cookin' it on Friday, ya could pull it on Sat mornin' and
wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler until dinner time. This
would keep it not only moist but hot, too, until you are ready to slice it.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Brick

On 21-Dec-2004, "F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote:

> bk wrote:
> > Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
> > wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
> > means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
> > head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
> > fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
> > Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

> Keep it whole and slice it after reheating, which should be done slowly on
> low power in the microwave, I guess. You could cut it into smaller sized
> pieces so the reheating might not take as long, but if you slice it all up
> and then reheat it its gonna dry out way to much.
>
> If you started cookin' it on Friday, ya could pull it on Sat mornin' and
> wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler until dinner time.
> This
> would keep it not only moist but hot, too, until you are ready to slice
> it.
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

I'm glad I'm not facing that challenge. Looking at anywhere from 7 to
14 pounds of brisket to reheat. I suspect a restaurant would heat a
platter and then placed freshly sliced brisket on it and place under
infra red lights for awhile. I'd guess you could get the same effect
with a broiler, but I wouldn't try it for the first time with guests
pounding
up the driveway. How do restaurants reheat rib roast? They sure don't
cook it from scratch after a customer orders it. I've had some pretty good
'Prime' ribs, but I don't know how they do it and still be able to serve it
pink in the middle.
It ain't PC, but pray.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Duwop

> > bk wrote:
> > > Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
> > > wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
> > > means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
> > > head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
> > > fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
> > > Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot water
and heat up the meat that way.

Steve Calvin

Duwop wrote:

> Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot water
> and heat up the meat that way.

Yup, works great.

--
Steve

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dogs face they get mad at
you but when you take them for a ride in the car they stick their head
out of the window?
Buzz1

"bk" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The wife
> always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha means
> cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a head, do I
> slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the fridge. I'd
> certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge. Reheating seems
> to be real issue.

After the Brisket rests for a couple hrs--slice and put in a a half pan with
some beef juice--wrap in foil and reheat when ya want to serve\

Buzz
2fat bikers bbq

Larry Noah

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:38:38 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot water
>and heat up the meat that way.

Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
bags?

Larry Noah
Larry Noah

wrote:

>Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot water
>and heat up the meat that way.

Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
bags?

Larry Noah

John

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message

>>Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot
>>water
>>and heat up the meat that way.
>>

> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
> bags?

Love my foodsaver..Discovered you can use the bags in boiling water or
microwave (but in the micro you have to be careful as the bag will blow up)
I have been using my foodsaver for years and wouldn't be without it.
John

Graeme...in London

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message

tha

fridge.

> >Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot

water
> >and heat up the meat that way.
> >

> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
> bags?
>

> Larry Noah

Can't say that I've ever tried this, but I know of some restaurants in
London who reheat (and cook fish) by placing a sealed bag in hot mode in a
dishwasher.

Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

Graeme...in London

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message

tha

fridge.

> >Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot

water
> >and heat up the meat that way.
> >

> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
> bags?
>

> Larry Noah

Can't say that I've ever tried this, but I know of some restaurants in
London who reheat (and cook fish) by placing a sealed bag in hot mode in a
dishwasher.

Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:29:20 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

Hmmm . . . I thought you said you were married.

Larry Noah

==========portions deleted==================

>> >Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot

>water
>> >and heat up the meat that way.
>> >

>> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
>> bags?
>>

>> Larry Noah

>Can't say that I've ever tried this, but I know of some restaurants in
>London who reheat (and cook fish) by placing a sealed bag in hot mode in a
>dishwasher.
>
>Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

I don't think I would go there. Maybe I do not trust the bag makers
that much. It is very seldom, but I have had the bags to leak.

Larry (who has a dishwasher and does not want to clean pulled pork out
of it).

Larry Noah

Larry Noah

==========portions deleted==================

>> >Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot

>water
>> >and heat up the meat that way.
>> >

>> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
>> bags?
>>

>> Larry Noah

>Can't say that I've ever tried this, but I know of some restaurants in
>London who reheat (and cook fish) by placing a sealed bag in hot mode in a
>dishwasher.
>
>Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

I don't think I would go there. Maybe I do not trust the bag makers
that much. It is very seldom, but I have had the bags to leak.

Larry (who has a dishwasher and does not want to clean pulled pork out
of it).

Larry Noah
Larry Noah

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:25:37 -0600, "John"
> wrote:

>Love my foodsaver..Discovered you can use the bags in boiling water or
>microwave (but in the micro you have to be careful as the bag will blow up)
>I have been using my foodsaver for years and wouldn't be without it.
>John

I just snip the corner when using the nuker.

Larry (who doesn't like to clean pulled pork out of the microwave
either).

Larry Noah
Jack Curry

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:29:20 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>
> >Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

> Hmmm . . . I thought you said you were married.

Sexist swine. <g>

Jack Curry

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:25:37 -0600, "John"
> wrote:

>"Larry Noah" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot
>>>water
>>>and heat up the meat that way.
>>>

>> Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
>> bags?

>Love my foodsaver..Discovered you can use the bags in boiling water or
>microwave (but in the micro you have to be careful as the bag will blow up)
>I have been using my foodsaver for years and wouldn't be without it.
>John

Yes, I find ours invaluable too; not only for our own stuff but for
repackaging meats & such from the Grocery store to prevent freezer
burn.

Harry
Steve Calvin

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>>>Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
>>>bags?

>>Love my foodsaver..Discovered you can use the bags in boiling water or
>>microwave (but in the micro you have to be careful as the bag will blow up)
>>I have been using my foodsaver for years and wouldn't be without it.
>>John
>>

> Yes, I find ours invaluable too; not only for our own stuff but for
> repackaging meats & such from the Grocery store to prevent freezer
> burn.
>
> Harry

If mine ever breaks a new one will be on order immediately, if not
sooner! We buy beef by the 1/2 and pork by the side. I'd be lost
without the Tilia. Or I probably should say, our meat would be lost
without it.

For warming up things like meats I usually use the water method. For me,
it's easier to just warm it rather than continuing to cook it.

--
Steve

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dogs face they get mad at
you but when you take them for a ride in the car they stick their head
out of the window?

Steve Calvin

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>>>Works for me. Never dries out that way. Remember the Seal-A-Meal
>>>bags?

>>Love my foodsaver..Discovered you can use the bags in boiling water or
>>microwave (but in the micro you have to be careful as the bag will blow up)
>>I have been using my foodsaver for years and wouldn't be without it.
>>John
>>

> Yes, I find ours invaluable too; not only for our own stuff but for
> repackaging meats & such from the Grocery store to prevent freezer
> burn.
>
> Harry

If mine ever breaks a new one will be on order immediately, if not
sooner! We buy beef by the 1/2 and pork by the side. I'd be lost
without the Tilia. Or I probably should say, our meat would be lost
without it.

For warming up things like meats I usually use the water method. For me,
it's easier to just warm it rather than continuing to cook it.

--
Steve

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dogs face they get mad at
you but when you take them for a ride in the car they stick their head
out of the window?
aaron

bk wrote:

> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The wife
> always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha means
> cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a head, do I slice
> it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the fridge. I'd certainly wrap
> it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge. Reheating seems to be real issue.
> H E L P !!

when done smoking, cool whole and save any juice. when going to reheat,
slice, add saved juices, wrap/cover tightly with foil to keep juices in,
and reheat slowly in the oven (at 300). turn the oven down as the meat
heats up so as not to re-cook (steam) the meat.

--
(signature here)

aaron

Brick wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not facing that challenge. Looking at anywhere from 7 to
> 14 pounds of brisket to reheat. I suspect a restaurant would heat a
> platter and then placed freshly sliced brisket on it and place under
> infra red lights for awhile. I'd guess you could get the same effect
> with a broiler, but I wouldn't try it for the first time with guests
> pounding
> up the driveway. How do restaurants reheat rib roast? They sure don't
> cook it from scratch after a customer orders it. I've had some pretty good
> 'Prime' ribs, but I don't know how they do it and still be able to serve it
> pink in the middle.

a whole rib roast will hold pink for quite a few hours. we used to have
12-15 whole primes done at 4:00 and they would hold pink for 5-6 hours.
(as long as the warmer wasn't set too high). after 9pm, pink was hard
too come by though. (and even more difficult at the bar, when the shift
was over)

--
(signature here)

aaron

Brick wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not facing that challenge. Looking at anywhere from 7 to
> 14 pounds of brisket to reheat. I suspect a restaurant would heat a
> platter and then placed freshly sliced brisket on it and place under
> infra red lights for awhile. I'd guess you could get the same effect
> with a broiler, but I wouldn't try it for the first time with guests
> pounding
> up the driveway. How do restaurants reheat rib roast? They sure don't
> cook it from scratch after a customer orders it. I've had some pretty good
> 'Prime' ribs, but I don't know how they do it and still be able to serve it
> pink in the middle.

a whole rib roast will hold pink for quite a few hours. we used to have
12-15 whole primes done at 4:00 and they would hold pink for 5-6 hours.
(as long as the warmer wasn't set too high). after 9pm, pink was hard
too come by though. (and even more difficult at the bar, when the shift
was over)

--
(signature here)

BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> bk wrote:
>> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
>> wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
>> means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
>> head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
>> fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
>> Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

> Keep it whole and slice it after reheating, which should be done
> slowly on a low power in the microwave, I guess. You could cut it into
> smaller sized pieces so the reheating might not take as long, but if
> you slice it all up and then reheat it its gonna dry out way to much.
>
> If you started cookin' it on Friday, ya could pull it on Sat mornin'
> and wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler until dinner
> time. This would keep it not only moist but hot, too, until you are
> ready to slice it.

What he said. All good ideas, especially the cook on Friday part.
I'll just add that when I want to re-heat I'll package in vacuum bags and
just re-heat in the bags in boiling water. Even if I don't freeze.
Simple, fairly quick and the meat won't dry out.

BOB

BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> bk wrote:
>> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The
>> wife always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha
>> means cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a
>> head, do I slice it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the
>> fridge. I'd certainly wrap it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge.
>> Reheating seems to be real issue. H E L P !!

> Keep it whole and slice it after reheating, which should be done
> slowly on a low power in the microwave, I guess. You could cut it into
> smaller sized pieces so the reheating might not take as long, but if
> you slice it all up and then reheat it its gonna dry out way to much.
>
> If you started cookin' it on Friday, ya could pull it on Sat mornin'
> and wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler until dinner
> time. This would keep it not only moist but hot, too, until you are
> ready to slice it.

What he said. All good ideas, especially the cook on Friday part.
I'll just add that when I want to re-heat I'll package in vacuum bags and
just re-heat in the bags in boiling water. Even if I don't freeze.
Simple, fairly quick and the meat won't dry out.

BOB

BOB

Duwop wrote:

> Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot
> water and heat up the meat that way.

Works great.

BOB

BOB

Duwop wrote:

> Read where those with Tillia foodsavers plop the sealed bags into hot
> water and heat up the meat that way.

Works great.

BOB

Piedmont

bk wrote:

> Will be serving a Turkey and a brisket on Saturaday afternoon. The wife
> always insists on pulling the bird when the folks arrive. So tha means
> cooking the brisket first. If I elect to do it a few days a head, do I slice
> it up and store in bags or keep it whole in the fridge. I'd certainly wrap
> it tight in lots of plastic in the fridge. Reheating seems to be real issue.
> H E L P !!

bk,

I would slice, then on the day, wrap in foil, place in oven at 150
dfegrees, 2-3 hours before serving.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> []
> Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

I thought you had a late model Motoko?

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> []
> Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

I thought you had a late model Motoko?

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Graeme...in London

> wrote in message
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> > []
> > Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

> I thought you had a late model Motoko?

Nick, I have a 100% Japanese model. Beware of other inferior SE Asian
imitations. <grin>

Graeme

Graeme...in London

> wrote in message
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> > []
> > Graeme (who doesn't have a dishwasher)

> I thought you had a late model Motoko?

Nick, I have a 100% Japanese model. Beware of other inferior SE Asian
imitations. <grin>

Graeme

Keeping cucumbers James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 22 29-10-2014 05:47 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM
Keeping it hot Kevin B Barbecue 4 23-06-2005 10:41 PM
Keeping tea (not too) hot Top Spin Tea 25 09-11-2004 12:05 AM
Keeping a Brisket Warm Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 30 25-09-2004 06:21 AM