Brian and Maryann

Default Smoked sausage

Hi,
Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick question.
I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and ground pork. I have made it
before and 1/2 the time it is good and 1/2 the time it is unedible.
The recipe I use says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does anyone
know what the meat temp. should be when done?
Thanks alot!
Smokey the Brian

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian and Maryann" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick question.
> I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and ground pork. I have made it
> before and 1/2 the time it is good and 1/2 the time it is unedible.
> The recipe I use says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> Thanks alot!
> Smokey the Brian

..
When smoking that long the sausage should have a cure in the recipe. You
can use Prague powder, modern cure or Morton's Tenderquick. Assuming you
have one of those you can now start.

Most of the time you want to smoke at a very low temperature, about 80 to
100 degrees. After some hours of that you bring the heat up until the meat
reaches 160 internal. Now the meat is cooked. Smoking at too high a
temperature will dry out the sausage and make it more like jerky or slim
Jims
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Pete Romfh

Brian and Maryann wrote:
> Hi,
> Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick
> question. I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and
> ground pork. I have made it before and 1/2 the time it is
> good and 1/2 the time it is unedible. The recipe I use
> says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> Thanks alot! Smokey the Brian

Keep the smoke temp in the low 100's until the sausage is turning darker.
Then pick the heat up a bit and bring the internal temp up to at least 155F.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

"Brian and Maryann" > wrote:
> Hi,
> Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick question.
> I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and ground pork. I have made
> it before and 1/2 the time it is good and 1/2 the time it is unedible.
> The recipe I use says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> Thanks alot!
> Smokey the Brian

Hi SB & M,

If you don't have it, I highly recommend you pick up "Great Sausage Recipes
& Meat Curing", by Rytek Kutas, published by 'The Sausage Maker, Inc.'.

On page 59 of the 1984 edition, you'll find the following:

" . . . when in doubt, you are always safe at 152° F. internally, no matter
what meat you are processing.

By the same token, it is of equal importance that the heat of the smoker
itself does . . . . not exceed 160° F."

So, if ya don't have 'em, pick up a couple of Polder knock-offs and hunker
down with a six-pack for a long smoke! And post some pics on a.b.f.

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

> "Brian and Maryann" > wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick question.
> > I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and ground pork. I have made
> > it before and 1/2 the time it is good and 1/2 the time it is unedible.
> > The recipe I use says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> > anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> > Thanks alot!
> > Smokey the Brian

> Hi SB & M,
>
> If you don't have it, I highly recommend you pick up "Great Sausage
> Recipes & Meat Curing", by Rytek Kutas, published by 'The Sausage Maker,
> Inc.'.
>
> On page 59 of the 1984 edition, you'll find the following:
>
> " . . . when in doubt, you are always safe at 152° F. internally, no
> matter what meat you are processing.
>
> By the same token, it is of equal importance that the heat of the smoker
> itself does . . . . not exceed 160° F."
>
> So, if ya don't have 'em, pick up a couple of Polder knock-offs and
> hunker down with a six-pack for a long smoke! And post some pics on
> a.b.f.

By the way, Edwin Pawlowski's caveat, "When smoking that long the sausage
should have a cure in the recipe. You can use Prague powder, modern cure
or Morton's Tenderquick.", IS crucial. I don't know about the others, but
with Prague Powder #1, it only takes one ounce to cure 25 pounds of any
meat, so it obviously has to be thoroughly mixed, but I figgered you
already knew all of that. °~/

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

Pete Romfh

Brian and Maryann wrote:
> Hi,
> Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick
> question. I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and
> ground pork. I have made it before and 1/2 the time it is
> good and 1/2 the time it is unedible. The recipe I use
> says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> Thanks alot! Smokey the Brian

BTW, I tried to email you some info but your address came back invalid (even
with the NOSPAM removed)