FoodBanter.com

-   -   Looking for Brisket Recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/48666-looking-brisket-recipes.html)

bk 21-12-2004 01:59 AM

Looking for Brisket Recipes

If this post appears twice _ I'm sorry for the mess up.

I scewed up my last brisket and looking for an easy but tasty recipe.
Dry rub with or without basting. Thanks in advance.

BOB 21-12-2004 02:13 AM

bk wrote:
> If this post appears twice _ I'm sorry for the mess up.
>
> I scewed up my last brisket and looking for an easy but tasty recipe.
> Dry rub with or without basting. Thanks in advance.

Fresh ground black pepper
Salt
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Cook on the grill (fat between the meat and the heat) at about 250 to 300
'til a fork twists easily when inserted in the meat

BOB

bbq 21-12-2004 02:32 AM

bk wrote:

> If this post appears twice _ I'm sorry for the mess up.
>
> I scewed up my last brisket and looking for an easy but tasty recipe.
> Dry rub with or without basting. Thanks in advance.

Dry rub without basting.

BBQ

bk 21-12-2004 12:36 PM

BOB 21-12-2004 02:31 PM

bk wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>>
>> Cook on the grill (fat between the meat and the heat) at about 250
>> to 300 'til a fork twists easily when inserted in the meat
>>
>> BOB
>> I use a large BGE. I plan on keeping the meat fat side up. Do you
>> agree with that?

Not actually. I cook my briskets on a Kamado direct, no heat deflector,
so fat is down. With a heat deflector, I understand that you would be
correct, though I've never tried a brisket indirect. I'm not likely to
try any time soon since everyone seems to be satisfied with the results of
direct heat and fat down.
In ceramics, everything I've heard, read and experienced says that basting
is un-necessary and can sometimes actually dry out the meat since the
humidity can escape when you open the lid. Of course, YMMV.

BOB

Jack Curry 21-12-2004 02:34 PM

"bk" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> >
> > Cook on the grill (fat between the meat and the heat) at about 250 to

300
> > 'til a fork twists easily when inserted in the meat
> >
> > BOB
> >I use a large BGE. I plan on keeping the meat fat side up. Do you agree
> >with that?

In a ceramic, since there is plenty of radiant heat it doesn't matter too
much whether the fat is up or down, but I do my briskets (Kamado) with the
fat down. The rub you choose adds flavor to the bark, but it doesn't make
or break the cook. As BOB said, S&P, some garlic powder, maybe some paprika
are all you really need, but you can find several good rubs on the faq that
you can make yourself.
Basting doesn't help a brisket much and the opening and closing of your Egg
just adds time to the cook.
Cook a brisket at 250 - 300 with some wood mixed in with your lump until the
meat passes the fork test (twists easily when inserted into the flat).

Jack Curry