FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sides for a "Pork Rack of Rib Roast" (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/48575-sides-pork-rack-rib.html)

Kevin S. Wilson 19-12-2004 05:43 PM

Sides for a "Pork Rack of Rib Roast"

For Christmas Eve dinner I'll be making what the local Co-op calls a
"pork rack of rib roast." It's like one-half of a crown rack of ribs,
essentially a string of rib chops. Very tasty and visually appealing.

I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.

Any suggestions?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Edwin Pawlowski 19-12-2004 05:50 PM

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> For Christmas Eve dinner I'll be making what the local Co-op calls a
> "pork rack of rib roast." It's like one-half of a crown rack of ribs,
> essentially a string of rib chops. Very tasty and visually appealing.

You have them in a semi circle then?

> . I could be talked into doing
> some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>
> Any suggestions?

I also find plain rice to be very boring. We make a couple of variations
with veggies though, and it has much more flavor.

In a pan (we use the cast iron) sauté some onions and carrots. When near
done, add the dry rice and brown it a bit also. Now add the liquid
(preferably stock) and put on low heat to finish cooking.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

You can add peas, chopped broccoli, etc as you desire.

Brian Worthey 19-12-2004 06:35 PM

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
> with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
> but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
> some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>
> Any suggestions?

Kevin, I know it's still a rice dish, but I dont' think its boring at all.
I have a recipe for a spicy rice dish/casserole. You use jalepeno peppers,
bell pepper, pork sausage and a wild rice mix. It is really good. If
you're interested I'll post the recipe, but not sure if you will since it is
rice. Sorry, you mentioned rice and my mind went directly to that!

B-Worthey

Brian Worthey 19-12-2004 06:35 PM

Kevin S. Wilson 19-12-2004 06:37 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:35:53 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> wrote:

>Kevin, I know it's still a rice dish, but I dont' think its boring at all.
>I have a recipe for a spicy rice dish/casserole. You use jalepeno peppers,
>bell pepper, pork sausage and a wild rice mix.

Thanks. Sounds good, but the family aren't really into spicy.

Abe 19-12-2004 07:53 PM

>I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
>with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
>but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
>some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>
>Any suggestions?

---------------
I tend to like rice cooked with vegetable stock (or defatted bland
chicken stock) with a good dose of lemon rind and a bit of black
pepper. The citrus oil lends a palate cleansing quality to the rice,
while the use of veg. stock, or bland chicken stock keeps the whole
affair with a light character, to complement the heavy character of
the BBQ.

Steve Calvin 19-12-2004 07:56 PM

Abe wrote:

>>I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
>>with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
>>but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
>>some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>>
>>Any suggestions?

> ---------------
> I tend to like rice cooked with vegetable stock (or defatted bland
> chicken stock) with a good dose of lemon rind and a bit of black
> pepper. The citrus oil lends a palate cleansing quality to the rice,
> while the use of veg. stock, or bland chicken stock keeps the whole
> affair with a light character, to complement the heavy character of
> the BBQ.

eh, if my better half wanted rice I'd make her some. Doesn't mean that
I have to eat it. I agree with Abe though and cook rice with some sort
of stock as opposed to just water.

--
Steve

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

cl 19-12-2004 11:18 PM

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> For Christmas Eve dinner I'll be making what the local Co-op calls a
> "pork rack of rib roast." It's like one-half of a crown rack of ribs,
> essentially a string of rib chops. Very tasty and visually appealing.
>
> I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
> with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
> but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
> some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>
> Any suggestions?

Since she would like a bit of rice why not try a sausage and shrimp wild
rice . This is great with pork, rabbit, quail or any game.

-CAL

Brian Worthey 20-12-2004 12:49 AM

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:35:53 -0600, "Brian Worthey"
> > wrote:
>
> >Kevin, I know it's still a rice dish, but I dont' think its boring at

all.
> >I have a recipe for a spicy rice dish/casserole. You use jalepeno

peppers,
> >bell pepper, pork sausage and a wild rice mix.

> Thanks. Sounds good, but the family aren't really into spicy.

Ah, okay then.

B-Worthey

bk 20-12-2004 03:13 AM

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> For Christmas Eve dinner I'll be making what the local Co-op calls a
> "pork rack of rib roast." It's like one-half of a crown rack of ribs,
> essentially a string of rib chops. Very tasty and visually appealing.
>
> I'll probably make a Ceasar salad and some grilled asparagus, along
> with a small pan of baked yams. The wife would like rice as a side,
> but I think that's too bland and boring. I could be talked into doing
> some kind of rice dish, more along the lines of a casserole.
>
> Any suggestions?

We like to cook rice with coconut milk and rest a couple of scotch
bonnets on top. Remove peppers when rice is done. Rice is not spicy, but
rather flavorful. It's always a winner.

Kevin S. Wilson 20-12-2004 06:58 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:13:14 -0500, bk > wrote:

>We like to cook rice with coconut milk and rest a couple of scotch
>bonnets on top. Remove peppers when rice is done. Rice is not spicy, but
>rather flavorful. It's always a winner.

Ooh, now that sounds good. When do the peppers go in? From the start,
or only after the rice has begun to set up?