Default Weber Kettle vs WSM

Hello all,
I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
own smoker. I have a ceramic smoker at home that is too heavy to
transport, so I am looking to purchase a weber kettle or weber smokey
mountain to take to the class. I know that the kettle is cheaper, so
I'm leaning towards that one. Do you think there is any reason that I
should choose the WSM over the kettle?
Thanks for your feedback.
Anthony

Thanks for the quick feedback.

It is Paul Kirk class (www.baron-of-bbq.com/Pitmasters.htm). Here is
the excerpt:

The Baron will cover the basics of Barbecuing Brisket, Pork Butt,
Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage. He will also cover fire management,
fuels, BBQ rubs and spices, BBQ sauce, contest presentation, among many
other subjects.

Since I already have a smoker at home, I imagine I'd probably use this
as my primary grill and secondary smoker.

Louis Cohen

> Thanks for the quick feedback.
>
> It is Paul Kirk class (
www.baron-of-bbq.com/Pitmasters.htm). Here is
> the excerpt:
>
> The Baron will cover the basics of Barbecuing Brisket, Pork Butt,
> Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage. He will also cover fire management,
> fuels, BBQ rubs and spices, BBQ sauce, contest presentation, among many
> other subjects.
>
> Since I already have a smoker at home, I imagine I'd probably use this
> as my primary grill and secondary smoker.

I took his class a few years ago using an ECB; my partner in the class
used a weber kettle. If you do your low-and-slow in the ceramic, you
should probably get a kettle for the class so that you can use it for
quick grilling. Or get an ECB - dirt cheap.

Weber Kettle: Cannot keep it hot enough [email protected] Barbecue 17 24-03-2007 03:47 AM
Dobro-Q from a Weber Kettle Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 1 08-12-2006 11:19 PM
How well can one smoke in a Weber Kettle? Bo Hica Barbecue 26 08-06-2004 11:23 PM
Weber Kettle as a smoker bbq Barbecue 6 21-12-2003 08:54 PM
Turkey in a Weber kettle Fran General Cooking 11 16-12-2003 10:15 PM