FoodBanter.com

-   -   Weber Kettle vs WSM (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/48315-weber-kettle-vs-wsm.html)

[email protected] 17-12-2004 11:38 PM

Weber Kettle vs WSM

Hello all,
I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
own smoker. I have a ceramic smoker at home that is too heavy to
transport, so I am looking to purchase a weber kettle or weber smokey
mountain to take to the class. I know that the kettle is cheaper, so
I'm leaning towards that one. Do you think there is any reason that I
should choose the WSM over the kettle?
Thanks for your feedback.
Anthony

Default User 17-12-2004 11:48 PM

wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
> own smoker.

> Do you think there is any reason that I
> should choose the WSM over the kettle?

What will the class consist of? If doing long smokes of pork shoulder
or the like, then the WSM is great. If a mix of some grilling and some
Qing like ribs or chicken, then perhaps a kettle will be best.

You need to explain a lot more about what the planned use is.

Brian

Jack Curry 17-12-2004 11:50 PM

wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
> own smoker. I have a ceramic smoker at home that is too heavy to
> transport, so I am looking to purchase a weber kettle or weber smokey
> mountain to take to the class. I know that the kettle is cheaper, so
> I'm leaning towards that one. Do you think there is any reason that I
> should choose the WSM over the kettle?
> Thanks for your feedback.
> Anthony

Yep. You may actually find a use for the WSM afterwards. They're
excellent, just ask anybody here who has one.
And/or you can give it to someone deserving and they'll think you're the
berries.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry 17-12-2004 11:50 PM

[email protected] 18-12-2004 12:16 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

It is Paul Kirk class (www.baron-of-bbq.com/Pitmasters.htm). Here is
the excerpt:

The Baron will cover the basics of Barbecuing Brisket, Pork Butt,
Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage. He will also cover fire management,
fuels, BBQ rubs and spices, BBQ sauce, contest presentation, among many
other subjects.

Since I already have a smoker at home, I imagine I'd probably use this
as my primary grill and secondary smoker.

Louis Cohen 18-12-2004 05:07 AM

wrote:
> Thanks for the quick feedback.
>
> It is Paul Kirk class (
www.baron-of-bbq.com/Pitmasters.htm). Here is
> the excerpt:
>
> The Baron will cover the basics of Barbecuing Brisket, Pork Butt,
> Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage. He will also cover fire management,
> fuels, BBQ rubs and spices, BBQ sauce, contest presentation, among many
> other subjects.
>
> Since I already have a smoker at home, I imagine I'd probably use this
> as my primary grill and secondary smoker.

I took his class a few years ago using an ECB; my partner in the class
used a weber kettle. If you do your low-and-slow in the ceramic, you
should probably get a kettle for the class so that you can use it for
quick grilling. Or get an ECB - dirt cheap.

bbq 18-12-2004 07:09 AM

wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
> own smoker. I have a ceramic smoker at home that is too heavy to
> transport, so I am looking to purchase a weber kettle or weber smokey
> mountain to take to the class. I know that the kettle is cheaper, so
> I'm leaning towards that one. Do you think there is any reason that I
> should choose the WSM over the kettle?
> Thanks for your feedback.
> Anthony

I would suggest the WSM. Reason being, with the WSM you can load it up
with fuel and regulate the temperature much more easily than you can
trying to use a kettle as a smoker. Though it does depend on how long
of a cook you want too.

IME, the kettle simply does not let you maintain a temperature very
well. If Q'en something, I like to keep the temp around 300 or less.
Using the WSM, you can use the minion method to get long cook times.
Depending on weather, you can get as long as 10 hours or more before
refueling. The kettle, my guess would be about 3 hours.

For easy Q'en, the WSM is the ticket. Costs about $100 more than a 22
inch kettle, but well worth it. You already own a ceramic, so you
should already know if you want to fiddle with the fire and cook, or
cook without fiddling with the fire.

I own both and think that any serious Q'er/griller on a budget should
have both. They're each designed for different purposes and do them well.

Good Luck.

BBQ

Piedmont 18-12-2004 07:38 PM

wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am going to a pitmaster class in 2005 and I will need to bring my
> own smoker. I have a ceramic smoker at home that is too heavy to

Ceramic cookers should be just like a Harley, get one only if ya can
pick it up if you lay it down! (grin)

> transport, so I am looking to purchase a weber kettle or weber smokey
> mountain to take to the class. I know that the kettle is cheaper, so
> I'm leaning towards that one. Do you think there is any reason that I
> should choose the WSM over the kettle?
> Thanks for your feedback.
> Anthony

IMHO, if you have a ceramic, it might be duplicating things to get a
WSM, I'd go with the kettle.
--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw