Kevin S. Wilson

Default Simple Smoked Salmon Today

Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
an office party. Very simple:

Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
on top and the meat flakes easily.

To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:
>
> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.
>
> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

I'm glad that you decided to cut back the calories.

-CAL
cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:
>
> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.
>
> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

I'm glad that you decided to cut back the calories.

-CAL
kilikini

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:
>
> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.
>
> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

Sounds excellent, Kevin! Smoked salmon is one of my favorites, although I'd
opt for a fresh bagel instead of crackers.

kili

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:06:41 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>>
>> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

>Sounds excellent, Kevin! Smoked salmon is one of my favorites, although I'd
>opt for a fresh bagel instead of crackers.

Good idea. The salmon is for a tapas party, so even a half-bagel might
be too much, and I'm not going to go to the trouble of slicing
half-bagels into smaller pieces for finger food. I have to go to the
store for the crackers and lemon. I'll look for mini-bagels. That
would be a nice change from crackers.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Graeme...in London

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:

And there was me thinking that you were being paid by your employer, to sit
in front of a computer somewhere in Idaho, and post to afb and ark all day
<g>

> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.

Personally, I thoroughly recommend a sprinkling of dried or fresh fennel
seeds to both salmon and trout prior to smoking. There is something about
fennel, smoke and fish that works wonders with my palate.

> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

Oatcakes. Don't know how readily available they are in sunny ol' Idaho, but
they are a perfect partner with smoked fish.

You can always make an easy smoked fish pate with the scrag ends.

Graeme

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:59:38 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
>> an office party. Very simple:

>And there was me thinking that you were being paid by your employer, to sit
>in front of a computer somewhere in Idaho, and post to afb and ark all day
><g>

I wish. I've been to work for exactly one day this week and the week
past. The rest of the time I've been home with a throat infection.

>> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
>> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
>> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
>> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
>> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
>> on top and the meat flakes easily.

>Personally, I thoroughly recommend a sprinkling of dried or fresh fennel
>seeds to both salmon and trout prior to smoking. There is something about
>fennel, smoke and fish that works wonders with my palate.

It's a popular pairing, but fennel comes off too strong for my tastes.
>> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

>Oatcakes. Don't know how readily available they are in sunny ol' Idaho, but
>they are a perfect partner with smoked fish.

I'll look for them at the Co-op or one of the specialty grocery
stores.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Jack Curry

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> Personally, I thoroughly recommend a sprinkling of dried or fresh fennel
> seeds to both salmon and trout prior to smoking. There is something about
> fennel, smoke and fish that works wonders with my palate.

Neat idea, Graeme. I love fennel seeds too, but would never have thought to
put them on smoked salmon.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

There's a Italian pork dish I make occasionally that's fennel-based and
extremely simple, Graeme.

Mix

1 TBS crushed fennel seeds
1 TBS Coarse sea salt
1 TBS Cracked black pepper

Traditionally it's used as a rub on a pork roast, but I've done pork
tenderloins (sparingly, it'll overpower) with it. Hmmm...maybe I'll try it
on a Boston Butt.

Jack Curry

Dimitri

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
>> an office party. Very simple:
>>
>> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
>> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
>> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
>> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
>> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
>> on top and the meat flakes easily.
>>
>> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

> Sounds excellent, Kevin! Smoked salmon is one of my favorites, although
> I'd
> opt for a fresh bagel instead of crackers.
>
> kili

IMHO the bagel is for lox not smoked salmon.
'
http://www.sausagemania.com/loxmania.html

Dimitri

"kilikini" > wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> > Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> > an office party. Very simple:
> >
> > Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> > 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> > They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> > form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> > of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> > on top and the meat flakes easily.
> >
> > To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.

> Sounds excellent, Kevin! Smoked salmon is one of my favorites, although
> I'd opt for a fresh bagel instead of crackers.

Gee. I miss Kevvie's occasional worthwhile, on-topic posts, but not HIM and
his a.r.k cohores. By KFing them, I avoided over 60 posts today. And that's
a good thing! °~D

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!
Kent

At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Doing a couple pounds of smoked salmon today, for my wife to take to
> an office party. Very simple:
>
> Brined yesterday in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours in 1 quart cold water,
> 1/3 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the juice of one lemon.
> They've been air-drying in the fridge overnight, to let the pellicle
> form. I'll put them on the K in awhile, over lump and a chunk or two
> of alder, with the temp at 200-225 F until the the fat begins to pool
> on top and the meat flakes easily.
>
> To be served with crackers, capers, and lemon wedges.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.
> Furr

Graeme...in London

"Kent" > wrote in message
> At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

And yet again, Kent comes out with another beauty!

You sure your not a comedian?

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Kent" > wrote in message
> At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

And yet again, Kent comes out with another beauty!

You sure your not a comedian?

Graeme

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

You know, Kent, I came >< this close to including a disclaimer at the
bottom of my original post, something along the lines of "PS: Yes, I
know the difference between cold-smoking and what I'm doing here. I
don't care what you want to call what I'm doing, and I care even less
to discuss it."

But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
18,756th time in this newsgroup?"

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

You know, Kent, I came >< this close to including a disclaimer at the
bottom of my original post, something along the lines of "PS: Yes, I
know the difference between cold-smoking and what I'm doing here. I
don't care what you want to call what I'm doing, and I care even less
to discuss it."

But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
18,756th time in this newsgroup?"

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:43:35 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>"Kent" > wrote in message
>> At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

>And yet again, Kent comes out with another beauty!

Graeme, you must be unaware of the difference between smoking and all
other methods of preparing meat for consumption. There's smoking, and
then there is cooking.

Smoking is not a form of cooking. Kent just now said so.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:43:35 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>"Kent" > wrote in message
>> At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

>And yet again, Kent comes out with another beauty!

Graeme, you must be unaware of the difference between smoking and all
other methods of preparing meat for consumption. There's smoking, and
then there is cooking.

Smoking is not a form of cooking. Kent just now said so.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Jack Curry

This part is not for you to read Kent, so skip to the next paragraph.
[Hoobaaaaa! The CALClone is baaaack. What fun we gonna have now. By
popular request, I deplonked Kent and the amusement value is well worth it.]

So....Kent? At precisely *what* temp does "smoking" become "cooking?" We
really need a number, ole buddy, a dividing line. You know, a FailSafe. A
Go/NoGo. So we'll know what to tell our friends and families when we serve
up that salmon or whatever. Smoked? Or Cooked? Wouldn't want to mislead
anybody.

"This Salmon was smoked," we'll say. "It never went above XX degrees." Or
is it XXX degrees? And suppose, just for a minute that the temp inside the
cooker went *over* the XX or XXX degree temp for just a minute or two.
Would that change the smoked/cooked definition? Truth in advertising and
all, eh?

What if the temp creeped up a little over Go/NoGo and you didn't see it
happen? Would that count? How would we know? There must be a change, a
test we could perform, right?

Enlighten us, KentH.

Jack Curry
-Curious minds want to know-

Kent

To all on one of Kevie's rare non vitreolic non-trolling or non-flaming
posts*. Let's all thank him for focusing the mission of this NG.
Smoking is not a form of cooking. The cooking follows the smoking everywhere
in the world except on this NG.
Fish is a bit more confusing. Cold smoked salmon and other fish are cured
and then smoked, and then eaten. BTW it's important to freeze the salmon in
advance to protect against parasitic infection when you do this. This is
also true of Gravlax, which is simply cured and eaten, without smoking. The
difference between Gravlax and Cold Smoked Salmon is only in flavor. When
you cure the salmon, or fish, as in this case, and put it in an oven or
grill or whatever at 200+ degrees you are cooking, regardless of what you
put on the fire to flavor the final product.

*Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:43:35 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Kent" > wrote in message
>>> At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

>>And yet again, Kent comes out with another beauty!

> Graeme, you must be unaware of the difference between smoking and all
> other methods of preparing meat for consumption. There's smoking, and
> then there is cooking.
>
> Smoking is not a form of cooking. Kent just now said so.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.
> Furr

Kent

Very Good:
However, you are still cooking.

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

> You know, Kent, I came >< this close to including a disclaimer at the
> bottom of my original post, something along the lines of "PS: Yes, I
> know the difference between cold-smoking and what I'm doing here. I
> don't care what you want to call what I'm doing, and I care even less
> to discuss it."
>
> But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
> enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
> 18,756th time in this newsgroup?"
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.
> Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:33:03 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>To all on one of Kevie's rare non vitreolic non-trolling or non-flaming
>posts*. Let's all thank him for focusing the mission of this NG.

I asked you before to define the "mission of this NG." You ignored the
question. I'll ask again. What exactly is the "mission" of this NG?

>Smoking is not a form of cooking.

Left in for people to chuckle over years from now.

>*Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
>2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

Kent, no one here is stupid enough to believe that you read 2,897
posts of mine, which you would have had to have done to accurately
characterize 95% of my posts.

You didn't read them, so why are you pretending that you did?

PS: Stalk much, Google-boy?
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:33:03 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>To all on one of Kevie's rare non vitreolic non-trolling or non-flaming
>posts*. Let's all thank him for focusing the mission of this NG.

I asked you before to define the "mission of this NG." You ignored the
question. I'll ask again. What exactly is the "mission" of this NG?

>Smoking is not a form of cooking.

Left in for people to chuckle over years from now.

>*Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
>2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

Kent, no one here is stupid enough to believe that you read 2,897
posts of mine, which you would have had to have done to accurately
characterize 95% of my posts.

You didn't read them, so why are you pretending that you did?

PS: Stalk much, Google-boy?
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>
> >At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

> You know, Kent, I came >< this close

Are you using a template for the above structure, looks familiar...

> But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
> enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
> 18,756th time in this newsgroup?"

Well hell, you are senor semantic/ speel flamer. Who are you to be talking
Prof.

-CAL

cl

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Very Good:
> However, you are still cooking.

Well he is hungry...he can't help it.

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:33:03 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>
> >To all on one of Kevie's rare non vitreolic non-trolling or non-flaming
> >posts*. Let's all thank him for focusing the mission of this NG.

> I asked you before to define the "mission of this NG." You ignored the
> question. I'll ask again. What exactly is the "mission" of this NG?

Dual purpose mission.
1) To satisfy Kevie's insecurity
2) To talk bbq

> PS: Stalk much, Google-boy?

Once again Pot calling the kettle black

-CLA (opps mispeeled it)

Kent

A very good point Jack. There obviously is a point where the smoking and the
cooking intermesh, and with fish that point is probably more ambiguous than
with other smoked meats. Particularly turkey and ham, where smoking occurs
at a very low temp., and after smoking the meat is cooked to a safe
temperature for consumption.
I think, however, with a fish such as salmon, when you reach 200F are
unquestionably cooking.
I apologize for digging this old subject up. My original response to Kevin's
originating post was a series of synapses from the subconscious mind.
I really don't want to start a flame war. In fact if I had read his later
post, where he referred to cold smoked salmon I would have left everything
alone.

"Jack Curry" <Jack > wrote in message
> This part is not for you to read Kent, so skip to the next paragraph.
> [Hoobaaaaa! The CALClone is baaaack. What fun we gonna have now. By
> popular request, I deplonked Kent and the amusement value is well worth
> it.]
>
> So....Kent? At precisely *what* temp does "smoking" become "cooking?" We
> really need a number, ole buddy, a dividing line. You know, a FailSafe. A
> Go/NoGo. So we'll know what to tell our friends and families when we
> serve
> up that salmon or whatever. Smoked? Or Cooked? Wouldn't want to mislead
> anybody.
>
> "This Salmon was smoked," we'll say. "It never went above XX degrees."
> Or
> is it XXX degrees? And suppose, just for a minute that the temp inside
> the
> cooker went *over* the XX or XXX degree temp for just a minute or two.
> Would that change the smoked/cooked definition? Truth in advertising and
> all, eh?
>
> What if the temp creeped up a little over Go/NoGo and you didn't see it
> happen? Would that count? How would we know? There must be a change, a
> test we could perform, right?
>
> Enlighten us, KentH.
>
> Jack Curry
> -Curious minds want to know-

Kent

The Mission of this NG is unmoderated open dialogue about "barbecue". The
term "Barbecue" can mean almost anything as defined by the poster. This
includes gas grills, electric grills, charcoal grills, smokers, and so
forth. It doesn't even have to be outdoor grilling. The occasional post
about "for newbies" offends. We can say anything we want. We should try to
post about "barbecue", but as this group is not moderated, there is no
mandatatory control about this.

Regarding your posts:
If you search your posts on google, and put 100 on the same page, and start
to read even the first line you will quickly come to the conclusion I just
posted.

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:33:03 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>To all on one of Kevie's rare non vitreolic non-trolling or non-flaming
>>posts*. Let's all thank him for focusing the mission of this NG.

> I asked you before to define the "mission of this NG." You ignored the
> question. I'll ask again. What exactly is the "mission" of this NG?
>
>>Smoking is not a form of cooking.

> Left in for people to chuckle over years from now.
>>
>>*Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
>>2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

> Kent, no one here is stupid enough to believe that you read 2,897
> posts of mine, which you would have had to have done to accurately
> characterize 95% of my posts.
>
> You didn't read them, so why are you pretending that you did?
>
> PS: Stalk much, Google-boy?
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.
> Furr

Dan Krueger

He lives for that. Your research will make him proud!

Dan

Kent wrote:

> *Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
> 2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:51:18 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>The Mission of this NG is unmoderated open dialogue about "barbecue". The
>term "Barbecue" can mean almost anything as defined by the poster. This
>includes gas grills, electric grills, charcoal grills, smokers, and so
>forth. It doesn't even have to be outdoor grilling. The occasional post
>about "for newbies" offends. We can say anything we want. We should try to
>post about "barbecue", but as this group is not moderated, there is no
>mandatatory control about this.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now try another word, because this NG
doesn't have a "mission." Since "mission" implies a concerted effort
toward a defined goal, I suspect that no NG has a "mission." You're
taking Usenet far to seriously if you think otherwise.

>Regarding your posts:
>If you search your posts on google,

Why would anyone want to do that? Why did you?

> and put 100 on the same page, and start
>to read even the first line you will quickly come to the conclusion I just
>posted.

That's a long-winded way of saying "I pulled that 95% figure out of my
ass."

What was it again that you're trying to prove?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:51:18 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:

>The Mission of this NG is unmoderated open dialogue about "barbecue". The
>term "Barbecue" can mean almost anything as defined by the poster. This
>includes gas grills, electric grills, charcoal grills, smokers, and so
>forth. It doesn't even have to be outdoor grilling. The occasional post
>about "for newbies" offends. We can say anything we want. We should try to
>post about "barbecue", but as this group is not moderated, there is no
>mandatatory control about this.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now try another word, because this NG
doesn't have a "mission." Since "mission" implies a concerted effort
toward a defined goal, I suspect that no NG has a "mission." You're
taking Usenet far to seriously if you think otherwise.

>Regarding your posts:
>If you search your posts on google,

Why would anyone want to do that? Why did you?

> and put 100 on the same page, and start
>to read even the first line you will quickly come to the conclusion I just
>posted.

That's a long-winded way of saying "I pulled that 95% figure out of my
ass."

What was it again that you're trying to prove?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:12:00 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>> >At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

>> You know, Kent, I came >< this close

>Are you using a template for the above structure, looks familiar...

We've already established that pattern-matching isn't your strong
suit, Pro. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been repeatedly trolled into
doing unnecessary homework to "prove" the falsity of "errors"
purposely posted to trick you into doing unnecessary homework (cf.
"Request for Consideration").

>> But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
>> enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
>> 18,756th time in this newsgroup?"

>Well hell, you are senor semantic/ speel flamer. Who are you to be talking
>Prof.

Ducking the question doesn't make it go away, Pro. What in the
blue-eyed froggy world would make you think I'm a professor? Is this
yet another example of you getting your facts wrong?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:12:00 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:21:19 GMT, "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>> >At that temp. you're cooking the salmon, not smoking it.

>> You know, Kent, I came >< this close

>Are you using a template for the above structure, looks familiar...

We've already established that pattern-matching isn't your strong
suit, Pro. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been repeatedly trolled into
doing unnecessary homework to "prove" the falsity of "errors"
purposely posted to trick you into doing unnecessary homework (cf.
"Request for Consideration").

>> But I didn't include the disclaimer, thinking, "Who would be dumb
>> enough to trot out that tired, shopworn topic of conversation for the
>> 18,756th time in this newsgroup?"

>Well hell, you are senor semantic/ speel flamer. Who are you to be talking
>Prof.

Ducking the question doesn't make it go away, Pro. What in the
blue-eyed froggy world would make you think I'm a professor? Is this
yet another example of you getting your facts wrong?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:56:27 GMT, Dan Krueger
> wrote:

>He lives for that. Your research will make him proud!

And just when I thought it wasn't possible that anyone would be so
gullible as to believe that Kent read 2,897 posts from me, which would
be a necessary condition for characterizing 95% of my posts, as
follows:

>> *Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
>> 2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

Yo, Dank Reuger! Did you know that the word "gullible" doesn't occur
in any one English-language dictionary?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:56:27 GMT, Dan Krueger
> wrote:

>He lives for that. Your research will make him proud!

And just when I thought it wasn't possible that anyone would be so
gullible as to believe that Kent read 2,897 posts from me, which would
be a necessary condition for characterizing 95% of my posts, as
follows:

>> *Kevie has posted 3,050 NG messages in several newsgroups since January 1,
>> 2004. 95+ percent of these are either trolling or flaming.

Yo, Dank Reuger! Did you know that the word "gullible" doesn't occur
in any one English-language dictionary?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Jack Curry

This took me about 18 seconds to find, Kent. Now puleeze go argue with this
website, since it certainly contradicts your totally stupid statement.

Jack Curry
-Surprise! Kent remains a numbnuts-

http://www.free-definition.com/Smoking-(food).html
Smoking (food)
Definition, Meaning, Explanation
??????: ??

----

Smoking is the process of curing, cooking, or seasoning food by exposing it
for long periods of time to the smoke from a (usually wood) fire. "Hot
smoking" is typically a several-hours-long process that can be used to fully
cook raw meats or fish, while "cold smoking" is an hours- or days-long
process that is generally used to preserve or flavour foods (usually meats
or fish, but sometimes cheeses, vegetables, fruits, and even beer).

The fuel used for smoking may contain flavoring adjuncts. For example,
Chinese tea-smoking uses a mixture of uncooked rice, raw sugar, and tea,
heated at the base of a wok, to slowly smoke and flavor meat and other
foods. In Europe, the traditional wood burnt to smoke fish and meat is
alder, but oak is more often used now, and beech to a smaller extent. In
North America, hickory and mesquite wood, in addition to oak and alder, and
also sometimes wood from fruit trees such as cherry and plum, are commonly
used for smoking.

Historically, farms in the western world included a special small building
termed the smokehouse where meats could be smoked and stored. This was
generally well-separated from other buildings both because of the fire
danger and because of the smoke emanations.

See also: Food preservation, curing

Smoked Salmon - what to do with it? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 45 30-07-2010 05:40 PM
Smoked Salmon War[_3_] Barbecue 3 05-05-2010 01:18 AM
smoked salmon Gil Faver Barbecue 8 08-04-2008 08:15 PM
Smoked salmon: croft smoked. Oz General Cooking 3 24-10-2003 08:03 AM