nib

Default Newbie Grill Question

So, I'm looking into getting my first real grill. I've narrowed it down
to Propane Gas for convenience and now I'm trying to finalize the
brand/model. I've obviously been considering the Webers. The Weber
Genesis Silver B is the one that looks about like my price range feature
set. However, I also noticed a Char-Broil grill at my local Lowes
Hardware store that had some additional features (a side burner), a
cabinet under the grill (the weber didn't have that), more BTUs AND had
stainless steel on the hood, which I thought looked nice. Now, the
burners on the char-broil are brass, which I don't know much about so I
don't know if that is good or bad. The kicker is that the Char-broil,
with all the additional things I liked was $100 less.

My question is, while I know Weber is high quality, is it worth the
extra price for less features? What's the general consensus on
Char-Broil? Quality grills?

This is the Char-Broil grill I was comparing to the Genesis Silver B:
http://www.charbroil.com/grills/terrace.asp

For some reason the website says it has cast iron burners but I *know*
the one I looked at had brass. Not sure what the difference is.

As to how I plan on using my grill...It'll mostly be for your basic
stuff, Steaks/burgers/chicken for 2-6 people. Like I said, I'm new to
"serious" grilling but I do plan on moving up to things like ribs or
tenderloin and all the other goodies.

Looking for any opinions/links/advice or whatever.

Thanks!
nib

Piedmont wrote:

> http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
> Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
> It can do charcoal /or/and gas!

LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
is VERY enticing.

Zach
nib

Piedmont wrote:

> http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
> Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
> It can do charcoal /or/and gas!

LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
is VERY enticing.

Zach
Piedmont

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
cl

nib wrote:

> Piedmont wrote:
> >
> > http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
> > Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
> > It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
> >

> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
> is VERY enticing.

Mixed result on that unit. There us also a Kenmore dualfuel

nib

cl wrote:

> nib wrote:
>
>>Piedmont wrote:
>> >

>>>http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
>>>Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
>>>It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
>>>

>>LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>is VERY enticing.

> Mixed result on that unit. There us also a Kenmore dualfuel

What about Vermont Casting? Just went up to home depot to do another
check and they had a Vermont Casting that felt like it was a much better
quality than the Weber Genesis Silver B was. I'm having trouble finding
much on the internet on that brand though.

Does anyone know of any "definative" sites on the net for Grill comparisons?

nib
nib

cl wrote:

> nib wrote:
>
>>Piedmont wrote:
>> >

>>>http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
>>>Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
>>>It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
>>>

>>LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>is VERY enticing.

> Mixed result on that unit. There us also a Kenmore dualfuel

What about Vermont Casting? Just went up to home depot to do another
check and they had a Vermont Casting that felt like it was a much better
quality than the Weber Genesis Silver B was. I'm having trouble finding
much on the internet on that brand though.

Does anyone know of any "definative" sites on the net for Grill comparisons?

nib
Phil

"nib" > wrote in message
> Piedmont wrote:
> >
> > http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
> > Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
> > It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
> >

> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
> is VERY enticing.

No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.

Weber is a good company with a good product.
You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
the road. You can call them on the phone and they will help you
solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
12 years old, and it still works great.

Phil

Phil

"nib" > wrote in message
> Piedmont wrote:
> >
> > http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
> > Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
> > It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
> >

> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
> is VERY enticing.

No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.

Weber is a good company with a good product.
You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
the road. You can call them on the phone and they will help you
solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
12 years old, and it still works great.

Phil

Matthew L. Martin

Phil wrote:

> "nib" > wrote in message
>
>>Piedmont wrote:
>> >

>>>http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
>>>Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual fuel.
>>>It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
>>>

>>LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>is VERY enticing.

> No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.
>
> Weber is a good company with a good product.
> You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
> the road.

I can still buy parts for my 10 year old CharBroil. The most common ones
are still stocked in big box and grill stores. The more esoteric ones
are readily available from their web site.

> You can call them on the phone and they will help you
> solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
> 12 years old, and it still works great.

My two 10 year old CharBroil (one branded Coleman) gassers are still
running fine. One of them is has been used several times a week since new.

Weber is a great company with excellent products, but CharBroil products
can give many years of good service, typically at a lower price point.

That said, I don't think I would recommend a dual fuel bucket style
cooker to anyone. I would think that too many compromises would be made
in the design to yield good performance with either fuel.

Of course, someone with direct experience with the product would be
helpful and that person is not me.

Matthew

nib

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Phil wrote:

>>> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>> is VERY enticing.

>> No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.
>>
>> Weber is a good company with a good product.
>> You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
>> the road.

> I can still buy parts for my 10 year old CharBroil. The most common ones
> are still stocked in big box and grill stores. The more esoteric ones
> are readily available from their web site.

His comment may have been made from my other post where I was asking
about the Vermont Casting brand, which I've had real trouble finding
much about online, which is very telling IMO.

>> You can call them on the phone and they will help you
>> solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
>> 12 years old, and it still works great.
>>

> My two 10 year old CharBroil (one branded Coleman) gassers are still
> running fine. One of them is has been used several times a week since new.

My dad has an old Char-Broil, probably over 10 years old, and it has
held up superbly. However, the solidness and quality of that grill
doesn't seem to be in the ones I've seen at Home Depot. To be fair, I
haven't seen any really old Webers so they may have lowered the quality
of their low-end grills too.

> Weber is a great company with excellent products, but CharBroil products
> can give many years of good service, typically at a lower price point.
>
> That said, I don't think I would recommend a dual fuel bucket style
> cooker to anyone. I would think that too many compromises would be made
> in the design to yield good performance with either fuel.

I think you're right.

nib
nib

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Phil wrote:

>>> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
>>> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
>>> is VERY enticing.

>> No, Char-broil is not a quality brand. I would stay away.
>>
>> Weber is a good company with a good product.
>> You will be able to buy parts for the Weber a few years down
>> the road.

> I can still buy parts for my 10 year old CharBroil. The most common ones
> are still stocked in big box and grill stores. The more esoteric ones
> are readily available from their web site.

His comment may have been made from my other post where I was asking
about the Vermont Casting brand, which I've had real trouble finding
much about online, which is very telling IMO.

>> You can call them on the phone and they will help you
>> solve problems. I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is about
>> 12 years old, and it still works great.
>>

> My two 10 year old CharBroil (one branded Coleman) gassers are still
> running fine. One of them is has been used several times a week since new.

My dad has an old Char-Broil, probably over 10 years old, and it has
held up superbly. However, the solidness and quality of that grill
doesn't seem to be in the ones I've seen at Home Depot. To be fair, I
haven't seen any really old Webers so they may have lowered the quality
of their low-end grills too.

> Weber is a great company with excellent products, but CharBroil products
> can give many years of good service, typically at a lower price point.
>
> That said, I don't think I would recommend a dual fuel bucket style
> cooker to anyone. I would think that too many compromises would be made
> in the design to yield good performance with either fuel.

I think you're right.

nib
Piedmont

nib wrote:

> Piedmont wrote:
> >

>> http://www.charbroil.com/grills/charcoal_gas.asp
>> Try this char-broil link, this is their unit that is made for dual
>> fuel. It can do charcoal /or/and gas!
>>

> LOL! That just made my decision harder! Is the Char-Broil brand a
> quality grill? I admit, the ability to switch between charcoal and gas
> is VERY enticing.
>
> Zach

All I know is Char-Broil has been around for a long time, all you do is
ask them for warranty, construction material, I think they make it in
Stainless too. then compare. Perhaps someone else here has experience
with the Char-Broil. Sorry to make it tougher for ya! he he!

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
jdoe

ONe is a Chinese import with basically little if any support. The other is
made here and well serviced. Worth the difference? You bet! As an owner of
both types you'd have to pry my cold dead fingers from my Weber but anytime
anyone would like to take the chinese ss junk sitting on my deck they're
welcome to.
Larry
"nib" > wrote in message
> So, I'm looking into getting my first real grill. I've narrowed it down to
> Propane Gas for convenience and now I'm trying to finalize the
> brand/model. I've obviously been considering the Webers. The Weber Genesis
> Silver B is the one that looks about like my price range feature set.
> However, I also noticed a Char-Broil grill at my local Lowes Hardware
> store that had some additional features (a side burner), a cabinet under
> the grill (the weber didn't have that), more BTUs AND had stainless steel
> on the hood, which I thought looked nice. Now, the burners on the
> char-broil are brass, which I don't know much about so I don't know if
> that is good or bad. The kicker is that the Char-broil, with all the
> additional things I liked was $100 less.
>
> My question is, while I know Weber is high quality, is it worth the extra
> price for less features? What's the general consensus on Char-Broil?
> Quality grills?
>
> This is the Char-Broil grill I was comparing to the Genesis Silver B:
> http://www.charbroil.com/grills/terrace.asp
>
> For some reason the website says it has cast iron burners but I *know* the
> one I looked at had brass. Not sure what the difference is.
>
> As to how I plan on using my grill...It'll mostly be for your basic stuff,
> Steaks/burgers/chicken for 2-6 people. Like I said, I'm new to "serious"
> grilling but I do plan on moving up to things like ribs or tenderloin and
> all the other goodies.
>
> Looking for any opinions/links/advice or whatever.
>
> Thanks!

jdoe

"nib" > wrote in message
> So, I'm looking into getting my first real grill. I've narrowed it down to
> Propane Gas for convenience and now I'm trying to finalize the
> brand/model. I've obviously been considering the Webers. The Weber Genesis
> Silver B is the one that looks about like my price range feature set.
> However, I also noticed a Char-Broil grill at my local Lowes Hardware
> store that had some additional features (a side burner), a cabinet under
> the grill (the weber didn't have that), more BTUs AND had stainless steel
> on the hood, which I thought looked nice. Now, the burners on the
> char-broil are brass, which I don't know much about so I don't know if
> that is good or bad. The kicker is that the Char-broil, with all the
> additional things I liked was $100 less.
>
> My question is, while I know Weber is high quality, is it worth the extra
> price for less features? What's the general consensus on Char-Broil?
> Quality grills?
>
> This is the Char-Broil grill I was comparing to the Genesis Silver B:
> http://www.charbroil.com/grills/terrace.asp
>
> For some reason the website says it has cast iron burners but I *know* the
> one I looked at had brass. Not sure what the difference is.
>
> As to how I plan on using my grill...It'll mostly be for your basic stuff,
> Steaks/burgers/chicken for 2-6 people. Like I said, I'm new to "serious"
> grilling but I do plan on moving up to things like ribs or tenderloin and
> all the other goodies.
>
> Looking for any opinions/links/advice or whatever.
>
> Thanks!

nib

Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
their input.

Steve Calvin

nib wrote:

> Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
> their input.

It will serve you well. That's the same model I have. It's been running
for 7 years without a problem (well, except one but that was a "humans"
fault, not the grill). What kind of grates did you end up with?

The rotisserie is a nice accessory.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

nib

Steve Calvin wrote:
> nib wrote:
>
>> Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
>> their input.
>>

> It will serve you well. That's the same model I have. It's been running
> for 7 years without a problem (well, except one but that was a "humans"
> fault, not the grill). What kind of grates did you end up with?
>
> The rotisserie is a nice accessory.

Not sure on the grates yet. The wife is getting it as my Christmas
present. I figure those are an upgradeable feature so I'll just worry
about that later. The rotisserie does sound interesting but that's such
a large jump for me as far as cooking goes. At this point, the only
thing I've ever cooked on a grill is hamburgers, chicken and steak. I'm
anxious to expand that and get into some new stuff like using a rotisserie.

Funny story about when I was in Home Depot looking at them yesterday. I
had pulled the Weber out into the aisle to look at it and a guy was
walking by with a dolly and a Char-Broil brand grill on it. He looks at
my wife and basically says "That's the last grill you'll ever buy, a
great grill". I thought it was rather interesting that he was saying
that as he was carrying a Char-broil out of the store.
inmate 2339117

Weber Genesis Gold B was on sale for 399 at HD in Irving TX on I-635.