Old 14-12-2004, 02:47 PM
nib

Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
their input.

Old 14-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Steve Calvin

nib wrote:

Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
their input.

It will serve you well. That's the same model I have. It's been running
for 7 years without a problem (well, except one but that was a "humans"
fault, not the grill). What kind of grates did you end up with?

The rotisserie is a nice accessory.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Old 14-12-2004, 07:09 PM
nib

Steve Calvin wrote:
nib wrote:

Well, I decided on the Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks to everyone for
their input.

It will serve you well. That's the same model I have. It's been running
for 7 years without a problem (well, except one but that was a "humans"
fault, not the grill). What kind of grates did you end up with?

The rotisserie is a nice accessory.

Not sure on the grates yet. The wife is getting it as my Christmas
present. I figure those are an upgradeable feature so I'll just worry
about that later. The rotisserie does sound interesting but that's such
a large jump for me as far as cooking goes. At this point, the only
thing I've ever cooked on a grill is hamburgers, chicken and steak. I'm
anxious to expand that and get into some new stuff like using a rotisserie.

Funny story about when I was in Home Depot looking at them yesterday. I
had pulled the Weber out into the aisle to look at it and a guy was
walking by with a dolly and a Char-Broil brand grill on it. He looks at
my wife and basically says "That's the last grill you'll ever buy, a
great grill". I thought it was rather interesting that he was saying
that as he was carrying a Char-broil out of the store.
Old 21-12-2004, 01:45 PM
inmate 2339117

Weber Genesis Gold B was on sale for 399 at HD in Irving TX on I-635.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:55:28 -0600, nib wrote:

So, I'm looking into getting my first real grill. I've narrowed it down
to Propane Gas for convenience and now I'm trying to finalize the
brand/model. I've obviously been considering the Webers. The Weber
Genesis Silver B is the one that looks about like my price range feature
set. However, I also noticed a Char-Broil grill at my local Lowes
Hardware store that had some additional features (a side burner), a
cabinet under the grill (the weber didn't have that), more BTUs AND had
stainless steel on the hood, which I thought looked nice. Now, the
burners on the char-broil are brass, which I don't know much about so I
don't know if that is good or bad. The kicker is that the Char-broil,
with all the additional things I liked was $100 less.

My question is, while I know Weber is high quality, is it worth the
extra price for less features? What's the general consensus on
Char-Broil? Quality grills?

This is the Char-Broil grill I was comparing to the Genesis Silver B:
http://www.charbroil.com/grills/terrace.asp

For some reason the website says it has cast iron burners but I *know*
the one I looked at had brass. Not sure what the difference is.

As to how I plan on using my grill...It'll mostly be for your basic
stuff, Steaks/burgers/chicken for 2-6 people. Like I said, I'm new to
"serious" grilling but I do plan on moving up to things like ribs or
tenderloin and all the other goodies.

Looking for any opinions/links/advice or whatever.

Thanks!