Kurt

Default a large ham

I would love to grill a large ham out on grill. It has a cover or hood to
make oven. Is this a wise move?
Kurt

Bubba

Kurt wrote:

>I would love to grill a large ham out on grill. It has a cover or hood to
>make oven. Is this a wise move?
>Kurt

You'd probably be better off slamming your pecker in a sliding glass
door. Seriously, though....if you try to grill a whole ham, it's going
to be burned on the outside and raw in the middle. Why not try some
nice ham steaks?

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kurt" > wrote in message
>I would love to grill a large ham out on grill. It has a cover or hood to
> make oven. Is this a wise move?
> Kurt

Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on the grill. For a
whole ham, use indirect heat. Food on one side, burner lit on the opposite
side.

Piedmont

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
snip
> Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on the grill. For a
> whole ham, use indirect heat. Food on one side, burner lit on the opposite
> side.

Absolutely! I agree totally with Ed! For example if you have a Weber
kettle, get a round thin cheapy aluminum pan. Set it in the center of
the coal grill. place coals around the outside of the pan and set the
ham in the center of the grill, directly above the aluminum pan. You
could also place a sheet of aluminum foil under the ham to ensure that
the heat is indirect, leaving about 3 inches gap around edge of grill.
You could also do a Minion type deal with the coals, only lit 1/2 of the
coals in the ring of coals, allowing the unlit coals to burn as the fire
creeps around the ring of coals. Keep a space open at the end of the
ring so the coals only burn in one direction.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Kurt

I have a top of line Sears Gas Grill. Since im so new to this, is it wise to
have 2 or 3 bottles of lp gas on hand?
Kurt
"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> snip
> > Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on the grill. For

> > whole ham, use indirect heat. Food on one side, burner lit on the

opposite
> > side.
> >

> Absolutely! I agree totally with Ed! For example if you have a Weber
> kettle, get a round thin cheapy aluminum pan. Set it in the center of
> the coal grill. place coals around the outside of the pan and set the
> ham in the center of the grill, directly above the aluminum pan. You
> could also place a sheet of aluminum foil under the ham to ensure that
> the heat is indirect, leaving about 3 inches gap around edge of grill.
> You could also do a Minion type deal with the coals, only lit 1/2 of the
> coals in the ring of coals, allowing the unlit coals to burn as the fire
> creeps around the ring of coals. Keep a space open at the end of the
> ring so the coals only burn in one direction.
>
> --
> Mike Willsey
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Kent

I agree totally with the preceeding two posters. Just cook the ham at a very
low temp., 250F or so, for a long time. It will take hours to warm your
whole ham to 115F or so to eating temp. Check it with a rapid reading
thermometer and when it hits 115F take it off and let it rest. This is all
assuming you have a precooked ham, which 99% of the time you do.
Use an oven thermometer on the grill surface of your indirectly heating
grill right in the middle where the ham sits. Don't rely on the thermometer
in the lid.
Finally, the ham will taste better on the grill. Throw in a few chunks of
hardwood during all of this and it will taste even better.
Happy Holiday
Kent
"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> snip
>> Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on the grill. For a
>> whole ham, use indirect heat. Food on one side, burner lit on the
>> opposite side.

> Absolutely! I agree totally with Ed! For example if you have a Weber
> kettle, get a round thin cheapy aluminum pan. Set it in the center of the
> coal grill. place coals around the outside of the pan and set the ham in
> the center of the grill, directly above the aluminum pan. You could also
> place a sheet of aluminum foil under the ham to ensure that the heat is
> indirect, leaving about 3 inches gap around edge of grill. You could also
> do a Minion type deal with the coals, only lit 1/2 of the coals in the
> ring of coals, allowing the unlit coals to burn as the fire creeps around
> the ring of coals. Keep a space open at the end of the ring so the coals
> only burn in one direction.
>
> --
> Mike Willsey
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Bubba

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>"Kurt" > wrote in message
>

>>I would love to grill a large ham out on grill. It has a cover or hood to
>>make oven. Is this a wise move?
>>Kurt
>>

>Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on the grill. For a
>whole ham, use indirect heat. Food on one side, burner lit on the opposite
>side.

You guys are confusing me. (Not that that's hard to do most days) To
"grill" (verb) involves high, direct heat....like
broiling....correct? Using indirect heat is basically roasting....no?
And "Q'ing" is just a low roast with some wood smoke involved?
Just want to make sure I'm speaking the same language.
Thanks,
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bubba"
You guys are confusing me. (Not that that's hard to do most days) To
"grill" (verb) involves high, direct heat....like broiling....correct?
Using indirect heat is basically roasting....no? And "Q'ing" is just a low
roast with some wood smoke involved?
Just want to make sure I'm speaking the same language.
Thanks,
Bubba

Yes, technically you are correct. You just don't "grill" large pieces of
meat, even though you are cooking them on the grill. The result is burnt
outside, raw inside. Lots of nuances in cooking. Thick steaks are stqarted
on high heat, but then moved to lower heat, etc.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kurt" > wrote in message
>I have a top of line Sears Gas Grill. Since im so new to this, is it wise
> have 2 or 3 bottles of lp gas on hand?
> Kurt

Always have a spare. You don't want to run out in the middle of cooking
dinner, especially when you have guests.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kurt" > wrote in message
>I have a top of line Sears Gas Grill. Since im so new to this, is it wise
> have 2 or 3 bottles of lp gas on hand?
> Kurt

Always have a spare. You don't want to run out in the middle of cooking
dinner, especially when you have guests.

large curd vs low fat Somebody General Cooking 5 02-10-2012 05:50 AM
large primaries Tater Winemaking 3 14-07-2007 02:17 PM
Large Scale Denny_from_MO Sourdough 0 21-01-2006 06:50 AM
Too Small for Large? jmcquown General Cooking 43 16-08-2004 10:12 PM
large casserole pot sub Cooking Equipment 1 27-11-2003 10:59 AM