Dan Overes

Default Barbecues Galore Lump Supply

I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)

Given the high rating Maple Leaf had earned on the Lump Charcoal
Database, and my past experience with it, I was quite disappointed to
see I can't get it anymore.

Couple of questions:

-- Has anyone tried this Ranch brand of lump?

-- Anyone know of where else around Calgary I can find Maple Leaf?

Depending on the answers, it looks like I may have to stick with Royal
Oak from Canadian Tire from now on.

Dan
Tyler Hopper

"Dan Overes" > wrote in message
> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)
>
> Given the high rating Maple Leaf had earned on the Lump Charcoal
> Database, and my past experience with it, I was quite disappointed to
> see I can't get it anymore.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> -- Has anyone tried this Ranch brand of lump?
>
> -- Anyone know of where else around Calgary I can find Maple Leaf?
>
> Depending on the answers, it looks like I may have to stick with Royal
> Oak from Canadian Tire from now on.
>
> Dan

I don't know about a brand named Ranch anything, but if it's Cowboy brand, leave
it alone.

--
__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Tyler Hopper

"Dan Overes" > wrote in message
> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)
>
> Given the high rating Maple Leaf had earned on the Lump Charcoal
> Database, and my past experience with it, I was quite disappointed to
> see I can't get it anymore.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> -- Has anyone tried this Ranch brand of lump?
>
> -- Anyone know of where else around Calgary I can find Maple Leaf?
>
> Depending on the answers, it looks like I may have to stick with Royal
> Oak from Canadian Tire from now on.
>
> Dan

I don't know about a brand named Ranch anything, but if it's Cowboy brand, leave
it alone.

--
__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Dan Overes

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> I don't know about a brand named Ranch anything, but if it's Cowboy brand, leave
> it alone.

I wish I could remember the proper name, but I know it was
Ranch-something because I remember coming out of the store saying "Ranch
is a salad dressing, not a lump."

Dan Overes

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> I don't know about a brand named Ranch anything, but if it's Cowboy brand, leave
> it alone.

I wish I could remember the proper name, but I know it was
Ranch-something because I remember coming out of the store saying "Ranch
is a salad dressing, not a lump."

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:43:14 -0700, Dan Overes >
wrote:

>I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
>weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
>I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
>replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)
>
>Given the high rating Maple Leaf had earned on the Lump Charcoal
>Database, and my past experience with it, I was quite disappointed to
>see I can't get it anymore.
>
>Couple of questions:
>
>-- Has anyone tried this Ranch brand of lump?
>
>-- Anyone know of where else around Calgary I can find Maple Leaf?
>
>Depending on the answers, it looks like I may have to stick with Royal
>Oak from Canadian Tire from now on.
>
>Dan

I have been well pleased with the stuff from Can Tire which I have
used for many years. It also affords me the opportunity to avoid
visiting Bunglers Galore.

Dan, There's a little 'privateer' on 1st St SW down around the 50-53
Ave range that carries BGE's and such like. I believe I saw some
Maple Leaf there.

Also Revy/Rona had some anonymous stuff claiming to be maple charcoal
hanging around in their Crowfoot location earlier this Autumn. The
bags looked like they lost a Rugby game though.

Harry

tera

We have maple leaf briquettes...not lump anylonger though....

smokinsteve
www.smokinchips.com

"Dan Overes" > wrote in message
>I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
>weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However, I
>was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have replaced it
>with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)
>
> Given the high rating Maple Leaf had earned on the Lump Charcoal Database,
> and my past experience with it, I was quite disappointed to see I can't
> get it anymore.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> -- Has anyone tried this Ranch brand of lump?
>
> -- Anyone know of where else around Calgary I can find Maple Leaf?
>
> Depending on the answers, it looks like I may have to stick with Royal Oak
> from Canadian Tire from now on.
>
> Dan

Dan Overes

Dan Overes wrote:

> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)

As a follow up, I got the following note as a reply to an email I sent
to Barbecues Galo

---
The freight costs on this product from Quebec have increased to the
point where we have a hard time making any money selling it. We can, of
course, bring some more in but by the time we add the freight costs we
would have to increase the price by about $4 or $5 per bag and we don't
think our customers would be interested at that price.

We've had great feedback on the Argentinean hardwood charcoal that we
are now selling and we're able to sell it for a much more reasonable price.
---

The thing I find interesting is that I know the 20lb bag of lump I saw
was around $20 which to me seems more than what I was paying for Maple
Leaf. I also find it interesting that shipping from Argentina is
cheaper than shipping from within Canada?

Oh well, Royal Oak from Canadian Tire it is!

Cheers!
:-)

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:00:52 -0700, Dan Overes >
wrote:

>Dan Overes wrote:
>
>> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
>> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
>> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
>> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)

>As a follow up, I got the following note as a reply to an email I sent
>to Barbecues Galo
>
>---
>The freight costs on this product from Quebec have increased to the
>point where we have a hard time making any money selling it. We can, of
>course, bring some more in but by the time we add the freight costs we
>would have to increase the price by about $4 or $5 per bag and we don't
>think our customers would be interested at that price.
>
>We've had great feedback on the Argentinean hardwood charcoal that we
>are now selling and we're able to sell it for a much more reasonable price.
>---
>
>The thing I find interesting is that I know the 20lb bag of lump I saw
>was around $20 which to me seems more than what I was paying for Maple
>Leaf. I also find it interesting that shipping from Argentina is
>cheaper than shipping from within Canada?
>
>Oh well, Royal Oak from Canadian Tire it is!
>
>Cheers!
>:-)

Would have thought you would be familiar with standard Canadian
business practice by now - we charge our own guys full tariff but let
all sorts of foreigners dump in here at whatever price they deem they
can get away with.

And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
it comes from though.

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

wrote:

>Dan Overes wrote:
>
>> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
>> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
>> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
>> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)

>As a follow up, I got the following note as a reply to an email I sent
>to Barbecues Galo
>
>---
>The freight costs on this product from Quebec have increased to the
>point where we have a hard time making any money selling it. We can, of
>course, bring some more in but by the time we add the freight costs we
>would have to increase the price by about $4 or $5 per bag and we don't
>think our customers would be interested at that price.
>
>We've had great feedback on the Argentinean hardwood charcoal that we
>are now selling and we're able to sell it for a much more reasonable price.
>---
>
>The thing I find interesting is that I know the 20lb bag of lump I saw
>was around $20 which to me seems more than what I was paying for Maple
>Leaf. I also find it interesting that shipping from Argentina is
>cheaper than shipping from within Canada?
>
>Oh well, Royal Oak from Canadian Tire it is!
>
>Cheers!
>:-)

Would have thought you would be familiar with standard Canadian
business practice by now - we charge our own guys full tariff but let
all sorts of foreigners dump in here at whatever price they deem they
can get away with.

And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
it comes from though.

Harry

Dan Overes

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
> it comes from though.

Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
curiosity sake.
FuManchu

Dan Overes wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
>> it comes from though.

>Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
>complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
>curiosity sake.

Probably comes from trees. ;-)
BOB

FuManchu wrote:
> Dan Overes wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>>
>>> And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
>>> it comes from though.

>> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
>> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
>> curiosity sake.

> Probably comes from trees. ;-)

Smart ass. (I say this only because I was ready to type the same thing just
before I read your response!)
<eg>

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:17:51 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>FuManchu wrote:
>> Dan Overes wrote:

>>> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
>>> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
>>> curiosity sake.

>> Probably comes from trees. ;-)

>Smart ass. (I say this only because I was ready to type the same thing just
>before I read your response!)
><eg>
>
>BOB

May The Great Blue Bird of Happiness make pupu on your pupiks [in both
Official Languages]

Harry
BOB

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:17:51 -0500, " BOB" wrote:
>
>> FuManchu wrote:
>>> Probably comes from trees. ;-)

>> Smart ass. (I say this only because I was ready to type the same thing just
>> before I read your response!)
>> <eg>
>>
>> BOB
>>

> May The Great Blue Bird of Happiness make pupu on your pupiks [in both
> Official Languages]
>
> Harry

Phgggttt~~

BOB

Brick

On 19-Nov-2004, Dan Overes > wrote:

> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
> > And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
> > it comes from though.

> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
> curiosity sake.

Here's a couple of addresses. Pick one.

Royal Oak Charcoal Co
Rt 1 Box 152
Ellsinore, MO 63937
573-322-5217
573-322-5733
Jerry Crowley
Charcoal kiln
Red oak
White oak
Hickory
Lump Charcoal

Royal Oak Charcoal
Address 6425 St. Rte. ZZ, West Plains, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises
Address 1 Royal Oak Ave., Roswell, GA (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises
Address Charcoal Plant Rd., Omaha, AR (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises
Address Hwy. 133, Meta, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc.
Address Rte. 5, Box 96, Huntsville, AR (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc.
Address Hwy. 19 & JJ, Salem, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc.
Address 150 Royal Dr., Branson, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc.
Address 410 Selman St., Jacksonville, TX (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc.
Address 1921 N.W. 17th Pl., Ocala, FL (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak Enterprises, Inc., Ellsinore Div.
Address R.R. 2, Box 2640, Ellsinore, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

Royal Oak, Inc.
Address 405 2nd St., Summersville, MO (Map/Directions)
Categories CHARCOAL

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:07 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 19-Nov-2004, Dan Overes > wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>>
>> > And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
>> > it comes from though.

>> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
>> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
>> curiosity sake.

>Here's a couple of addresses. Pick one.

It doesn't work that way in Canada, Brick.
The bags are printed at one of those places and shipped to Canada to
be filled here by *someone*. That's why it's no point me listening
to some guy several 1000 miles away bitching about that brand of lump
because he doesn't really know who packed his either. We are
fortunate out here that our stuff is very acceptable.

Harry

Brick

On 21-Nov-2004, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:07 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:

> >> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
> >> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
> >> curiosity sake.

> >Here's a couple of addresses. Pick one.

> It doesn't work that way in Canada, Brick.
> The bags are printed at one of those places and shipped to Canada to
> be filled here by *someone*. That's why it's no point me listening
> to some guy several 1000 miles away bitching about that brand of lump
> because he doesn't really know who packed his either. We are
> fortunate out here that our stuff is very acceptable.
>
> Harry

Life's a bitch and then you die Harry. As you note, it would be hard to
trace where a particular lump came from, unless the kiln is right there
where you bought it. You might have noticed that there are a lot of kilns
in Missouri. Doesn't take rocket science to discover that there's also a
lot of hardwood there. Pacific Northwest has lots of Redwood and Pine,
but not as much hardwood for hundreds of miles. Unfortunately, the stuff
is bulky and expensive to ship.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 21-Nov-2004, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:07 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:

> >> Agreed. It is what I use for 95% of my 'cue and so far I have had no
> >> complaints. I would love to know where it comes from, just for
> >> curiosity sake.

> >Here's a couple of addresses. Pick one.

> It doesn't work that way in Canada, Brick.
> The bags are printed at one of those places and shipped to Canada to
> be filled here by *someone*. That's why it's no point me listening
> to some guy several 1000 miles away bitching about that brand of lump
> because he doesn't really know who packed his either. We are
> fortunate out here that our stuff is very acceptable.
>
> Harry

Life's a bitch and then you die Harry. As you note, it would be hard to
trace where a particular lump came from, unless the kiln is right there
where you bought it. You might have noticed that there are a lot of kilns
in Missouri. Doesn't take rocket science to discover that there's also a
lot of hardwood there. Pacific Northwest has lots of Redwood and Pine,
but not as much hardwood for hundreds of miles. Unfortunately, the stuff
is bulky and expensive to ship.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:07:21 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 21-Nov-2004, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:05:07 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:

>> >Here's a couple of addresses. Pick one.

>> It doesn't work that way in Canada, Brick.
>> The bags are printed at one of those places and shipped to Canada to
>> be filled here by *someone*. That's why it's no point me listening
>> to some guy several 1000 miles away bitching about that brand of lump
>> because he doesn't really know who packed his either. We are
>> fortunate out here that our stuff is very acceptable.
>>
>> Harry

>Life's a bitch and then you die Harry. As you note, it would be hard to
>trace where a particular lump came from, unless the kiln is right there
>where you bought it. You might have noticed that there are a lot of kilns
>in Missouri. Doesn't take rocket science to discover that there's also a
>lot of hardwood there. Pacific Northwest has lots of Redwood and Pine,
>but not as much hardwood for hundreds of miles. Unfortunately, the stuff
>is bulky and expensive to ship.

'Life's a bitch and then you die and then there's probate' :0)

The shipping is definitely a serious factor to get the stuff out here
into God's Country. But it is quite gently handled so as we don't get
a pound of soot and 'smalls' in the bottom of the bag. Nor do we get
rocks or bits of lumber. I pay about a buck-and-a-quarter per kilo.

Harry

WhoMe

test
"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:00:52 -0700, Dan Overes >
> wrote:
>
>>Dan Overes wrote:
>>
>>> I was near the Barbecues Galore on Edmonton Trail in Calgary, AB on the
>>> weekend and I decided to treat myself to some Maple Leaf lump. However,
>>> I was shocked to find out they are no longer carrying it and have
>>> replaced it with some other brand. (Ranch Lump or something at $20/bag)

>>As a follow up, I got the following note as a reply to an email I sent
>>to Barbecues Galo
>>
>>---
>>The freight costs on this product from Quebec have increased to the
>>point where we have a hard time making any money selling it. We can, of
>>course, bring some more in but by the time we add the freight costs we
>>would have to increase the price by about $4 or $5 per bag and we don't
>>think our customers would be interested at that price.
>>
>>We've had great feedback on the Argentinean hardwood charcoal that we
>>are now selling and we're able to sell it for a much more reasonable
>>price.
>>---
>>
>>The thing I find interesting is that I know the 20lb bag of lump I saw
>>was around $20 which to me seems more than what I was paying for Maple
>>Leaf. I also find it interesting that shipping from Argentina is
>>cheaper than shipping from within Canada?
>>
>>Oh well, Royal Oak from Canadian Tire it is!
>>
>>Cheers!
>>:-)
>>

> Would have thought you would be familiar with standard Canadian
> business practice by now - we charge our own guys full tariff but let
> all sorts of foreigners dump in here at whatever price they deem they
> can get away with.
>
> And there ain't nuttin wrong with Can Tires Royal Oak - no idea where
> it comes from though.
>
> Harry

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:56:53 -0800, "WhoMe" >
wrote:

>test

There's a reason that alt.test exists.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Nice Article About Community Barbecues monroe, of course Barbecue 0 03-08-2012 11:53 PM
Crossray Infrared Grill from Barbecues Galore? Kent[_2_] Barbecue 1 13-01-2010 10:19 PM
Barbecues BOB[_9_] Barbecue 1 10-06-2008 05:01 PM
You Say Grilling, We Say Barbecues. John Morgan Barbecue 43 23-06-2007 02:42 AM