Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Confession

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:11:05 GMT, mike > wrote:

>Politics aside, if you can't cook it or eat it, use it to make food, or
>has nothing what so ever to do with food, it doesn't belong here.

You *have* been away, haven't you?

Not a lot of signal left, and even the trolls get bored, there are so few posts.
But I have found that an on-topic post will get a response from some of the
old-timers lurking.

(Popped a tray of beans cooked in apple juice with ham bits, some mustard an a
spoonful or three of standard dry rub in the Weber while smoking, and found it
worthwhile...)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:34:16 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:11:05 GMT, mike > wrote:
>
>>Politics aside, if you can't cook it or eat it, use it to make food, or
>>has nothing what so ever to do with food, it doesn't belong here.

> You *have* been away, haven't you?
>
> Not a lot of signal left, and even the trolls get bored, there are so
> few posts.
> But I have found that an on-topic post will get a response from some of
> the old-timers lurking.
>
> (Popped a tray of beans cooked in apple juice with ham bits, some
> mustard an a spoonful or three of standard dry rub in the Weber while
> smoking, and found it worthwhile...)
>

> Thomas Prufer

I has been at least a couple years, and the signal to noise ratio is way
out of balance as is the cross posting. I still managed to catch a
pretty good sounding steak fajitas recipe from around spring while
playing catch up. I didn't look, but that was probably cross posted also.

I learned pretty much everything I know about smoking from this group
when it was still active. Sure, there was the typical usenet garbage,
but it was mixed with a lot of good information.

What a shame. The original "social media" is going to the dogs. Even
the nutters at alt.conspiracy aren't nearly as nutty as they use to be.
HA!

I guess I'll go back in to lurk mode until I have something interesting
to contribute...

I appreciate the two sane replies I got. That shows me that there are at
least a few decent people still out there paying attention.

I have heard of cooking beens in apple juice but haven't tried it yet.
I'll give it a try next time I fire up the smoker. I did some hickory
smoked pork shoulders a couple weekends ago, and decided not give it any
kind of rub. Just scored the skin in to inch squares and thew them on.
Even without any type of rub, it turned out amazing.

Does anyone have a suggestion on putting corn still in the husk on as a
side dish? I do foil wrapped potatoes in garlic butter from time to
time, but haven't tried corn yet.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:40:39 GMT, mike > wrote:

>I has been at least a couple years, and the signal to noise ratio is way
>out of balance as is the cross posting. I still managed to catch a
>pretty good sounding steak fajitas recipe from around spring while
>playing catch up. I didn't look, but that was probably cross posted also.
>
>I learned pretty much everything I know about smoking from this group
>when it was still active. Sure, there was the typical usenet garbage,
>but it was mixed with a lot of good information.

Yeah, this group is what got me smoking.

>What a shame. The original "social media" is going to the dogs. Even
>the nutters at alt.conspiracy aren't nearly as nutty as they use to be.
>HA!

Nor the trolls as entertaining, or subtle.

>I guess I'll go back in to lurk mode until I have something interesting
>to contribute...
>
>I appreciate the two sane replies I got. That shows me that there are at
>least a few decent people still out there paying attention.
>
>I have heard of cooking beens in apple juice but haven't tried it yet.
>I'll give it a try next time I fire up the smoker.

Here my quick'n'dirty baked black beans, last-minute, no-soaking-required
recipe:

2 pounds dry black beans
1.5 quarts apple juice
odds and ends of pork: smoked ham, belly, bacon, whatever
1/3 cup prepared yellow mustard
bay leaves
generous dollop of alt.food.barbecue standard FAQ dry rub
two onions
salt

(The beans will turn soft even with the salt!)

Dump the lot in a pressure cooker. Boil it up for ten minutes or so to see that
isn't foaming (which can clog the valve thing and cause an Incident). Check
there's enough liquid, the beans will soak up a lot, and if it's too dry it'll
burn. Slap the lid on, give it about 45 min-1 hour, done. If you've got the
smoker on, use extra liquid, put the beans in a flat container (disposable
aluminum pans, smoke will get on them) in the smoke and let them soak up the
smoke. Don't let them get too dry...

Amounts, times, and ingredients wildly approximate.

Using a mix of different beans can go wrong, at least without the soaking. I've
had the black ones turn to mush while the red kidney still needed time.

>I did some hickory
>smoked pork shoulders a couple weekends ago, and decided not give it any
>kind of rub. Just scored the skin in to inch squares and thew them on.
>Even without any type of rub, it turned out amazing.
>
>Does anyone have a suggestion on putting corn still in the husk on as a
>side dish? I do foil wrapped potatoes in garlic butter from time to
>time, but haven't tried corn yet.

About 15 minutes on the grill or in the coals, husk, silk and all, just like it
comes off the cornstalk. The husk will turn black. Peel it off (use gloves),
serve.

Thomas Prufer