Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Butterflied short ribs, Korean style

The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them out
into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.

I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on the
grille.

Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will marry
nicely with the sesame flavor.

Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...eef-short-ribs

The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of the
distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert Steven
Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other Korean
accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is adapted from
Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing 2010).

Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
Michele Kayal for NPR
Makes 4 servings

1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar

3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
skewered on toothpicks

1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil

2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths

1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed

1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves

Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them
> out into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
>
> I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on
> the grille.
>
> Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will
> marry nicely with the sesame flavor.
>
> Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
>

> http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...terflied-sesam
> e-grilled-beef-short-ribs
>
> The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of
> the distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert
> Steven Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other
> Korean accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is
> adapted from Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing
> 2010).
>
> Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
> Michele Kayal for NPR
> Makes 4 servings
>
> 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
>
> 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
> skewered on toothpicks
>
> 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
>
> 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
>
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>
> 2 teaspoons coarse salt
>
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
>
> 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
>
> 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
>
> 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
>
> Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

> To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
> beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 11:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them
>> out into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
>>
>> I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on
>> the grille.
>>
>> Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will
>> marry nicely with the sesame flavor.
>>
>> Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
>>

>> http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...terflied-sesam
>> e-grilled-beef-short-ribs
>>
>> The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of
>> the distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert
>> Steven Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other
>> Korean accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is
>> adapted from Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing
>> 2010).
>>
>> Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
>> Michele Kayal for NPR
>> Makes 4 servings
>>
>> 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
>>
>> 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
>> skewered on toothpicks
>>
>> 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
>>
>> 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
>>
>> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>>
>> 2 teaspoons coarse salt
>>
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
>>
>> 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
>>
>> 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
>>
>> 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
>>
>> Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

>> To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
>> beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

> Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?

A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the Koreans like
to as well.

Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean though, and
it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool lettuce.

These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
sushi style is my choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/7/2015 11:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them
> > > out into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
> > >
> > > I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling
> > > on the grille.
> > >
> > > Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will
> > > marry nicely with the sesame flavor.
> > >
> > > Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
> > >

> > > http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...-butterflied-s
> > > esam e-grilled-beef-short-ribs
> > >
> > > The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one
> > > of the distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says
> > > expert Steven Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad
> > > and other Korean accompaniments purchased at an Asian market.
> > > This recipe is adapted from Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue
> > > (Workman Publishing 2010).
> > >
> > > Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
> > > Michele Kayal for NPR
> > > Makes 4 servings
> > >
> > > 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
> > >
> > > 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled
> > > and skewered on toothpicks
> > >
> > > 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
> > >
> > > 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
> > >
> > > 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> > >
> > > 2 teaspoons coarse salt
> > >
> > > 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> > >
> > > 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
> > >
> > > 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
> > >
> > > 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
> > >
> > > 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual
> > > leaves
> > >
> > > Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

> > > To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste.
> > > Place beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

> > Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?
> >

> A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the Koreans
> like to as well.
>
> Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean though,
> and it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool lettuce.
>
> These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
> sushi style is my choice.

Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but we
generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
applied.

Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
table brasier is excellent!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?
>>>

>> A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the Koreans
>> like to as well.
>>
>> Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean though,
>> and it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool lettuce.
>>
>> These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
>> sushi style is my choice.

> Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
> tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but we
> generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
> applied.
>
> Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
> table brasier is excellent!
>
> Carol

Yes indeed, tea-smoking is very cool.

I love going to Korean joints because it's just so much fun to cook at
your own little grill and experiment with sauces and condiments.

The Korean red pepper paste is so smooth and well-rounded in flavor.
Heat without being too hot is how I put it.

Koreans are grille-masters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
>> >sushi style is my choice.

> Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed.

Here's a really nice photo tutorial on the subject:

http://www.afoodstory.com.au/2011/07...office-sydney/

And there's no reason you have to leave the bone on, go with what feels
right. Those very short boneless pieces done over a table brazier are
just as authentic.

Personally I think the friend lotus and mizuna leaves look divine.

In fact as I've never had mizuna I'll now be on the lookout for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/7/2015 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the
> > > Koreans like to as well.
> > >
> > > Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean
> > > though, and it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool
> > > lettuce.
> > >
> > > These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of
> > > rice - sushi style is my choice.

> > Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
> > tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but
> > we generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
> > applied.
> >
> > Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
> > table brasier is excellent!
> >
> > Carol
> >

> Yes indeed, tea-smoking is very cool.
>
> I love going to Korean joints because it's just so much fun to cook
> at your own little grill and experiment with sauces and condiments.
>
> The Korean red pepper paste is so smooth and well-rounded in flavor.
> Heat without being too hot is how I put it.
>
> Koreans are grille-masters.

I only have experience with them in actual Korea. I have no clue if
they have any in my local area but i think it's time to check!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 5:39 AM, Shalako wrote:
> The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them out
> into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
>
> I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on the
> grille.
>
> Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will marry
> nicely with the sesame flavor.
>
> Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
>

> http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...eef-short-ribs
>

> The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of the
> distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert Steven
> Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other Korean
> accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is adapted from
> Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing 2010).
>
> Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
> Michele Kayal for NPR
> Makes 4 servings
>
> 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
>
> 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
> skewered on toothpicks
>
> 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
>
> 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
>
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>
> 2 teaspoons coarse salt
>
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
>
> 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
>
> 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
>
> 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
>
> Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

> To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
> beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

The recipe looks tasty but the lack of shoyu gives me some concern. I've
never heard of such a thing. My mother-in-law cut the short ribs so the
bone was in the middle with two flaps coming off the sides. It was the
darnedest thing I ever seen, not to mention that I always thought short
ribs were only suitable for braising.

I'm making braised short ribs. I'm braising in a liquid of Korean chili
pepper powder, gochujang, sugar, vinegar. It looks like a tomato based
sauce but it's not. Thanks Korean pepper!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/7/2015 5:39 AM, Shalako wrote:
>> The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them out
>> into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
>>
>> I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on the
>> grille.
>>
>> Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will marry
>> nicely with the sesame flavor.
>>
>> Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
>>

>> http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...eef-short-ribs
>>

>> The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of the
>> distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert Steven
>> Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other Korean
>> accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is adapted from
>> Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing 2010).
>>
>> Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
>> Michele Kayal for NPR
>> Makes 4 servings
>>
>> 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
>>
>> 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
>> skewered on toothpicks
>>
>> 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
>>
>> 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
>>
>> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>>
>> 2 teaspoons coarse salt
>>
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
>>
>> 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
>>
>> 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
>>
>> 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
>>
>> Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

>> To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
>> beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

> The recipe looks tasty but the lack of shoyu gives me some concern.

Greta catch, I wondered about that too.

> I've
> never heard of such a thing. My mother-in-law cut the short ribs so the
> bone was in the middle with two flaps coming off the sides. It was the
> darnedest thing I ever seen, not to mention that I always thought short
> ribs were only suitable for braising.

That sounds like a pretty cut, but yes the ribs are perfect grilled when
opened up like this.

> I'm making braised short ribs. I'm braising in a liquid of Korean chili
> pepper powder, gochujang, sugar, vinegar. It looks like a tomato based
> sauce but it's not. Thanks Korean pepper!

Yeah that would really hit the spot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/8/2015 4:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/7/2015 5:39 AM, Shalako wrote:
>> The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them out
>> into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
>>
>> I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on the
>> grille.
>>
>> Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will marry
>> nicely with the sesame flavor.
>>
>> Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
>>

>> http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...eef-short-ribs
>>

>> The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of the
>> distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert Steven
>> Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other Korean
>> accompaniments purchased at an Asian

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/8/2015 10:27 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
>>> tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but
>>> we generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
>>> applied.
>>>
>>> Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
>>> table brasier is excellent!
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Yes indeed, tea-smoking is very cool.
>>
>> I love going to Korean joints because it's just so much fun to cook
>> at your own little grill and experiment with sauces and condiments.
>>
>> The Korean red pepper paste is so smooth and well-rounded in flavor.
>> Heat without being too hot is how I put it.
>>
>> Koreans are grille-masters.

> I only have experience with them in actual Korea. I have no clue if
> they have any in my local area but i think it's time to check!
>
> Carol

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Buttered short ribs, Korean style

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...